Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would getting this save me if I’m pulled over?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 08:46 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by centaur
Lets change the "ridiculous gun laws" to suit the people who do not own or like the idea of anyone owning a gun. That would certainly stop gun violence as these criminals, drug trafficers, gang bangers, etc. would surely capitulate and hand over their weapons in short order. You betcha!
Fairly common argument. We have had real test cases of this in other countries. It eventually works.
The following users liked this post:
subwoofer (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 08:55 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by topherserrano
On a side note, I’m genuinely interested in how you are knowledgeable of how “not particularly dangerous” the job of being a cop is, along with how you’ve reached your conclusion that the dangers of the job are a result of their own fault? Really intriguing conjecture.
National Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries in 2020, for instance.

The statistics vary from year to year. They do point out that fatal occupational injuries for LEOs increased 18.6% between 2019 and 2020, from 97 to 115, which is obviously 97/115 too many. But there are still plenty of more hazardous occupations, lots of people who don't go home at the end of the day. Many of whom we'd miss more than police if they all quit tomorrow, and none of whom are called "heroes" just for showing up.

That's not an attempt to sound edgy and anti-cop, it's just the fact of the matter as I see it. I can (and must) defend my own home and property to some extent, but I can't catch all the fish I eat, cut down all the trees needed to build my house, replace my own roof, fly an airplane, or drive the trucks that bring all my stuff.

The part about who is ultimately responsible for most LEO injuries and deaths has an opinion component that is harder to justify with a simple link. You can ignore that assertion if you disagree with it. In any case, arguing about guns is a good way to get the thread shut down by the mods, so it'd be good if everybody could tone that down.

Last edited by Noah Fect; 01-25-2022 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:59 PM
topherserrano
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
I could keep you in stitches for hours. Some decent info here if you actually care to see a different perspective https://www.vox.com/22740719/police-...lence-firearms
Thank you for sharing the article. I genuinely read it in its entirety and although it is a legitimate concern, and the points made are valid, there is no way to resolve the issue of controlling guns in America. The criminal element have since discovered manufacturing their own firearms (ghost guns) utilizing 3d printing or CNC machining for frames and subsequently purchasing other components on the web that are easily obtainable. Firearms are being smuggled into the country from south of the border, and overseas and magically make their way to criminals. Guns will always make their make to the someone who wants one. Look at the problem in Mexico, where guns are outright banned and illegal to possess unless you are in the Military or Law Enforcement. There’s so much more to it than that article touched on..I too can keep you in stitches for hours about my frustrations but this is not the appropriate forum. Be well.

dhirm5 (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 09:12 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

Thanks for your input, guys. But I think this thread has digressed into something different and probably it’s best to end it here.
detansinn (01-25-2022)

Quick Reply: Would getting this save me if I’m pulled over?