Sponsored by:

Front Plate Mount: High or Low?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 10:46 AM
oldernotyetwiser
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rouxeny
White one looks like a moustache from a certain early 1940’s era dictator of a certain country now known for manufacturing fine sports cars.
LOL
Old 01-27-2022, 04:31 AM
Jim Wilke
Racer

Received 233 Likes on 86 Posts

I have mine mounted high. It's in the glove box.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jim Wilke:
Drew46 (01-27-2022), ibopm (01-27-2022), Swayze (02-01-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 05:46 PM
DavidColorado
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kgs365
this is a photo of the brackets taped to the bumper you can't really see them unless you get pretty close...its a nice set up , in Massachusetts we are required to have a plate to get through the annual car inspection...no plate no inspection sticker ...so this set up allows me to pop on the plate get a sticker and take the plate off. Porsche should of done a better job for all front plates...drilling into the bumper seems weird in a $100K car

This is the first really close closeup I've seen of this center recess. (My 992 is sitting in Emden waiting to board a ship, so I can't just go out to the garage and look for myself. But I'd like to get some accessories ordered.) The "high" mount appears to project above the leading edge of the bumper - would seem to disrupt the aerodynamic flow over the hood.
This photo appears as though the ridges in the center panel are cosmetic - there do not appear to be slots for air to flow through. If that's the case, that this panel is solid, then why not mount the plate neither high nor low, but centered vertically. Maybe recessed just a mm or two. We wouldn't be blocking the air flow to anything.
Old 01-30-2022, 06:44 PM
kgs365
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 80 Posts

thats my photo...its a camera issue if you put a plate in the middle it would it would have to go low for the plate to clear the camera ...I think most of us are using this temporary plate attachment to get an inspection sticker or slap on if we get pulled over...I have no intent of having a front plate on the car only when required or forced
Old 01-30-2022, 06:46 PM
ibopm
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

Hi everyone. I finally picked up the Carbonio no-drill front plate mount. We got the "with ACC" version even though we do not have ACC on the car (it's a manual). This is because of the preference for a higher mounting position.

Looking back, I probably should have done this in the summer time since the adhesion promoter solution package indicates a warmer range of application temperatures. Nevertheless, here are some pictures of the process:

Used painters tape to try to mark a bunch of centre lines.

I got my dad to hold the frame steady while I put down some tape to mark the spot for the adhesive pads. Make sure you place the pads deep enough, otherwise it won't adhere to a completely flat surface.

This is the adhesive promoter solution. I am a little concerned since I did this in freezing weather here in Canada, but I'm just going to assume it's fine for now.

They give you two plastic nubs that allow you to keep the plate steady against the bumper.

How it looks from a profile angle.

How it looks head-on.

Added a transparent plastic frame (from the dealer) so it seems a little more put-together.

Last edited by ibopm; 01-30-2022 at 06:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ibopm:
kgs365 (01-30-2022), kim9701 (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 09:54 AM
kim9701
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 104 Posts

Looks really great. Thank you for sharing.

Quick Reply: Front Plate Mount: High or Low?