Sponsored by:

Front Plate Mount: High or Low?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 01:40 PM
commie
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ibopm
@commie @kgs365 btw, can you still remove the bracket to get a clean front for taking pictures? Or is the bracket actually on permanently? From the instructions it doesn't seem like there's a way to remove the bracket without removing the adhesive.
Like the picture posted from the other user, the bracket mount is actually in 2 parts. The mount that sticks to the bumper is shown in that pic, and glued tight with 3m adhesive, once that is peeled and attached, there is no re-use. Can only be removed with dental floss/fishing line, and a new mount ordered. That is the part where you need to measure and try the placement a few times before permanently attach to bumper.
Then there is another part that is used to hold the license plate, that part is attached to the bumper mount through a few screws/bolts that you can move up and down to get the right angle. If you want to remove the plate for pictures, that is the part you remove. Once removed you won't be able to see the bumper mount underneath the car.

Here is a picture of my plate mount with Ontario plates, using the ACC version. I think its a great solution to putting on a front plate, without drilling into the bumper. For locations that have the front plate laws.

Last edited by commie; 01-22-2022 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-22-2022, 01:48 PM
ibopm
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks for the helpful info @commie @kgs365 . Would you guys say you're happy with the product and positioning? My father is torn between that and the tow hook option (from Rho Plate). The biggest fear is getting the positioning wrong and having to order another mount.
Old 01-22-2022, 01:58 PM
commie
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks for the helpful info @commie @kgs365 . Would you guys say you're happy with the product and positioning? My father is torn between that and the tow hook option (from Rho Plate). The biggest fear is getting the positioning wrong and having to order another mount.
I am happy with the product and positioning. I also considered the tow hook option, but the OCD in me, didn't like having the front plate off to the left side, i much prefer the plate to be in a center location, but that is your personal preference. Also, make sure the tow hook doesn't block the front parking sensor, there is a sensor that is right near that tow hook opening.

Agree the mounting is the biggest issue. I had to do it twice myself, and re-ordered the replacement mount for 60 bucks. But that was because of my carelessness and habit of not reading instruction manuals before installing.
If you practice a few times, and for me the trick was to place the mount closer to the front of the bumper, that gave me more options to tilt the plate up and down to clear to front camera lens.
The following 2 users liked this post by commie:
ibopm (01-22-2022), westcoastj (01-23-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 01:59 PM
kgs365
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm happy with it, the tow hook product doesn't look right to me (not that it matters because I only keep a plate on to get through inspection) the thing I don't know about the tow hook model is having to take that cap off to get to the tow hook, how many times would you be taking it off and putting it back before that piece doesn't stay on anymore?...I could probably adjust my plate some more so that the front camera isn't effected I just haven't spent the time
The following users liked this post:
ibopm (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 03:20 PM
sanford
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Alternative available in California

I’ve still not mounted my front plate. Because I live outside a metro area it seem law enforcement pays less attention. A friend who lives in San Francisco was ticketed within a week of picking up his car.

Back on the subject: I found a viable alternative to a front mount. It’s a wrap with a cloned image of my license that is applied directly to the front. It can be removed with a simple procedure if needed.

Anyone using this? https://licenseplatewrap.com

Old 01-22-2022, 09:20 PM
BOPE
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

Interesting idea. Do you have any pictures of this? Would nice to know what the rubber-coated magnets look like and where I could buy them.
K & J Magnetics.

Bumper magnets: BX0X06-N52
Bracket magnets: DX08TP-N52

Hope this helps.

Jason
Old 01-22-2022, 10:03 PM
ibopm
Instructor

Originally Posted by BOPE
K & J Magnetics.

Bumper magnets: BX0X06-N52
Bracket magnets: DX08TP-N52

Hope this helps.

Jason
thanks Jason, I assume you had to remove the bumper to access the back side of it?
Old 01-22-2022, 11:12 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by rouxeny
White one looks like a moustache from a certain early 1940’s era dictator of a certain country now known for manufacturing fine sports cars.
You can’t unsee that!
Old 01-23-2022, 02:35 AM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

I have a high mount, but my dealer installed incorrectly and is blocking the front camera, will reinstall it later this spring when I have time.

Seems like most people are avoiding using license plate covers as I guess it will further obscure the front camera. Does anyone have a link to a slim license plate cover? I'd like to have it covered as I'm worried the plate will be damaged/bent at some point without it.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:22 PM
BOPE
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

thanks Jason, I assume you had to remove the bumper to access the back side of it?
Yes, but it's not particularly difficult, just time consuming as there were quite a few fasteners that must be removed.

I placed a bench directly in front of the bumper that was the same height of the bumper as measured from the ground to the underside of the bumper. Once all the fasteners were removed I slid the bumper forward onto the bench a sufficient distance to get my hand behind the bumper and adhere the rectangular magnets using 3M double-sided tape. This procedure eliminated the need to disconnect the wires that power the lights and other stuff on the bumper. However, if I were to do this job again I would simply take the time to disconnect all the wiring from the bumper as it will permit complete bumper removal, which in turn provides more space for locating and attaching the magnets inside the bumper.

Jason
Old 01-23-2022, 09:24 PM
Flash992
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by commie
Like the picture posted from the other user, the bracket mount is actually in 2 parts. The mount that sticks to the bumper is shown in that pic, and glued tight with 3m adhesive, once that is peeled and attached, there is no re-use. Can only be removed with dental floss/fishing line, and a new mount ordered. That is the part where you need to measure and try the placement a few times before permanently attach to bumper.
Then there is another part that is used to hold the license plate, that part is attached to the bumper mount through a few screws/bolts that you can move up and down to get the right angle. If you want to remove the plate for pictures, that is the part you remove. Once removed you won't be able to see the bumper mount underneath the car.

Here is a picture of my plate mount with Ontario plates, using the ACC version. I think its a great solution to putting on a front plate, without drilling into the bumper. For locations that have the front plate laws.

Whether the front plate is attached with screws or using the Carbonio stick-on attachment device, does US/Canadian format license have to be placed such that the top of the plate is above the natural line of the front bumper in order to completely clear the ACC or Innodrive sensor? From the angle at which your photograph of the Carbonio mount is taken, this appears to be the case. Is this so?
kgs365 (01-23-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 09:25 PM
kgs365
Racer

Originally Posted by Flash992
Whether the front plate is attached with screws or using the Carbonio stick-on attachment device, does US/Canadian format license have to be placed such that the top of the plate is above the natural line of the front bumper in order to completely clear the ACC or Innodrive sensor? From the angle at which your photograph of the Carbonio mount is taken, this appears to be the case. Is this so?

yes I dont have ACC, but it needs to be that high to clear the front camera ...see photo above for camera
Old 01-23-2022, 09:36 PM
Flash992
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kgs365
yes I dont have ACC, but it needs to be that high to clear the front camera ...see photo above for camera
Thanks. This seems odd to me.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:36 PM
ibopm
Instructor

Originally Posted by kgs365
I suppose it’s a trade off then? If I’m ok with a little bit of camera obstruction, then could I have the top flush with the top of the bumper?
kgs365 (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 08:14 AM
kgs365
Racer

I suppose it’s a trade off then? If I’m ok with a little bit of camera obstruction, then could I have the top flush with the top of the bumper?
im sure the factory license plate holder works ...but I didnt want to drill

Quick Reply: Front Plate Mount: High or Low?