Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche's Electric Taycan Overtakes Iconic 911 In Sales Race

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2022 | 09:14 PM
mksz51
Pro

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I’m with you…like the uniqueness…..but “multiple copies DAILY” in Iowa? 🤔 Really?

OK
We have NO Porsche dealer in Iowa - so Caymans, Boxsters, and 911s are actually quite rare. I live in Iowa City area - affluent secondary to the University so there is money here. We now have a local Mercedes and BMW dealer (Mercedes arrived about 15 years ago and BMW has been within the past 5 years) so you see LOTS of those vehicles but a Porsche is rare. I think many people feel quite uncomfortable not having a local dealer for their marque - I'm mechanically inclined and mechanically "resourceful" so those things really don't worry me. It's fun having something "rare" for the area - lots of conversations.
Old 01-16-2022 | 09:14 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
I'd bet Porsche could sell more 911s than Taycans if they actually wanted to.
I've got a $1 burning in my pocket that says Porsche couldn't even if they wanted to.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
aggie57 (01-17-2022), AlexCeres (01-17-2022), detansinn (01-16-2022)
Old 01-16-2022 | 09:40 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by mksz51
We have NO Porsche dealer in Iowa - so Caymans, Boxsters, and 911s are actually quite rare. I live in Iowa City area - affluent secondary to the University so there is money here. We now have a local Mercedes and BMW dealer (Mercedes arrived about 15 years ago and BMW has been within the past 5 years) so you see LOTS of those vehicles but a Porsche is rare. I think many people feel quite uncomfortable not having a local dealer for their marque - I'm mechanically inclined and mechanically "resourceful" so those things really don't worry me. It's fun having something "rare" for the area - lots of conversations.
I live in a very affluent area outside of DC. Big money. Big property on the water. There are 3 Porsche dealerships within a 30-45 minute drive of my house. But I go weeks in the Summer, and months in the Winter without seeing a 911. Porsche SUV’s are rather common, however. I’ve seen only one Taycan in the past year outside of my dealership….so, at least where I live, the Taycan is still pretty rare. When I go to visit my rental property in San Diego, I see a Taycan, or two, ever day. So I guess it depends a lot where one lives. I know in San Diego, gas is significantly more expensive than where I live, so (maybe?) getting an EV makes a lot more sense? That, and I think Californians, in general, are more environmentally engaged than other parts of the Country. Don’t know exactly why I see more EV’s in Cal than I do where I am?

Cheers.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 01-16-2022 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-16-2022 | 10:00 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

They’re doing swift business in my neck of the woods here in suburban Philadelphia. My neighbor has a Gentian Blue Taycan Turbo S. I regularly see Taycans going up and down our street.

The Taycan isn’t quite as popular as the Model 3 or Y around here, but there are a lot more of them than the Model S or X. It’s a popular EV.
Old 01-16-2022 | 10:09 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by detansinn
They’re doing swift business in my neck of the woods here in suburban Philadelphia. My neighbor has a Gentian Blue Taycan Turbo S. I regularly see Taycans going up and down our street.

The Taycan isn’t quite as popular as the Model 3 or Y around here, but there are a lot more of them than the Model S or X. It’s a popular EV.

Tesla S (mainly( and 3’s are about as common as Toyota’s near me. Very common. A 911 Turbo and my 911s….and a couple of Porsche SUV’s….that’s it for Porsche in my hood.
Old 01-16-2022 | 11:53 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

I don’t get this comparison being made over and over.

The Taycan has four doors, doesn’t go vroom.

Are some of you trying to say, everyone wants an electric car over a gas powered sports car?

Is the Taycan a 911?
Old 01-17-2022 | 12:03 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shrimp money
I don’t get this comparison being made over and over.

The Taycan has four doors, doesn’t go vroom.

Are some of you trying to say, everyone wants an electric car over a gas powered sports car?

Is the Taycan a 911?
I don't think anyone on this thread is comparing the 911 and Taycan in terms of driving performance and/or qualities; but more in terms of pure sales volume.

That said, do not, and I repeat do not underestimate the Taycan -- either as a standalone proposition or as a possible competitor to the 911.

If you have not driven a Taycan in anger (like in a HPDE event or through some canyon twisties), you just don't realize how capable and physics defying that machine is. It is nothing like any other EV on the market that I have driven (Tesla Model S, X, Mach E, Polestar 2). Only thing that comes close is the Audi e-tron GT, which really shouldn't come as a surprise given it's heritage and bloodlines.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (01-21-2022)
Old 01-17-2022 | 12:08 AM
woobiee
Pro

I live in a very affluent area outside of DC. Big money. Big property on the water. There are 3 Porsche dealerships within a 30-45 minute drive of my house. But I go weeks in the Summer, and months in the Winter without seeing a 911. Porsche SUV’s are rather common, however. I’ve seen only one Taycan in the past year outside of my dealership….so, at least where I live, the Taycan is still pretty rare. When I go to visit my rental property in San Diego, I see a Taycan, or two, ever day. So I guess it depends a lot where one lives. I know in San Diego, gas is significantly more expensive than where I live, so (maybe?) getting an EV makes a lot more sense? That, and I think Californians, in general, are more environmentally engaged than other parts of the Country. Don’t know exactly why I see more EV’s in Cal than I do where I am?

Cheers.
I’m also in the burbs of DC and I can confirm this is the case. Macans and Cayennes are plentiful around here with Panameras next in line but no where near as plentiful. I probably see about a dozen 911s per year in various generations. Are they not being driven on the regular and just kept in garages? Not that I frequent them, but 911s are out in full force at cars and coffees.
Old 01-17-2022 | 12:20 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I don't think anyone on this thread is comparing the 911 and Taycan in terms of driving performance and/or qualities; but more in terms of pure sales volume.

That said, do not, and I repeat do not underestimate the Taycan -- either as a standalone proposition or as a possible competitor to the 911.

If you have not driven a Taycan in anger (like in a HPDE event or through some canyon twisties), you just don't realize how capable and physics defying that machine is. It is nothing like any other EV on the market that I have driven (Tesla Model S, X, Mach E, Polestar 2). Only thing that comes close is the Audi e-tron GT, which really shouldn't come as a surprise given it's heritage and bloodlines.
I drove one a few months ago when Porsche brought them to Mid-Ohio on a make-shift auto cross course. It was cool to try out, but doesn’t do anything for me.

EVs are cool for driving to Costco or TJ Maxx; I get it, they are quick. But you can only do so many launches to impress your friends. I’d rather hear a 911 wind out the windows down, even if it’s a base model.
Old 01-17-2022 | 12:22 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shrimp money
EVs are cool for driving to Costco or TJ Maxx; I get it, they are quick. But you can only do so many launches to impress your friends. I’d rather hear a 911 wind out the windows down, even if it’s a base model.
Then it looks like you're not really driving the car, just listening to it.
Old 01-17-2022 | 12:53 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Porsche would not have built a nice new factory-within-a-factory if they didn’t plan on selling many, many EV’s. Taycan is just the start of course.
Old 01-21-2022 | 01:12 AM
SBAD
Pro

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I've got a $1 burning in my pocket that says Porsche couldn't even if they wanted to.
Gotta agree with this. Sports cars in the vein of the 911 are not in the aspirational envelope of younger drivers. Acceleration is appreciated, but turning, braking, handling and sound, not so much. Autosport (outside of NASCAR) is dying as a spectator sport.
Old 01-21-2022 | 09:48 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by SBAD
Gotta agree with this. Sports cars in the vein of the 911 are not in the aspirational envelope of younger drivers. Acceleration is appreciated, but turning, braking, handling and sound, not so much. Autosport (outside of NASCAR) is dying as a spectator sport.
F1 has greater attendance and TV viewership than NASCAR, worldwide. NASCAR is parochial, while F1 is a worldwide event.

https://flowracers.com/blog/nascar-vs-f1-popularity/

It should also be noted that while NASCAR TV viewership in the US has been dropping the past 3 years (2.9 million this past season), while F1 viewership in the US’s only F1 race, has been growing 1.23 million this past season),…and soon, Porsche may be re-joining F1.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 01-21-2022 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-21-2022 | 11:00 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Visiting the website of my Porsche dealer, they have a handful of new Taycans for sale, as well as a few Cayennes and Macans

No 911s or Caymans

Its been like that for a while.
Old 01-21-2022 | 11:31 AM
SBAD
Pro

F1 has greater attendance and TV viewership than NASCAR, worldwide. NASCAR is parochial, while F1 is a worldwide event.

https://flowracers.com/blog/nascar-vs-f1-popularity/

It should also be noted that while NASCAR TV viewership in the US has been dropping the past 3 years (2.9 million this past season), while F1 viewership in the US’s only F1 race, has been growing 1.23 million this past season),…and soon, Porsche may be re-joining F1.
Thank you for that information. Sorry, I should have been more clear. I am talking about the U.S.

But more importantly, sub-group analysis is critical. I am willing to bet that my opinion would be further reinforced by looking at viewership broken down by age bracket over time - that would be the most important variable to extract and extrapolate future trends. I suspect population demographics of the younger viewers is shrinking at a higher rate.

For now, I will have to rely on my observations of my two millennial sons and their friends - they all want EVs

Quick Reply: Porsche's Electric Taycan Overtakes Iconic 911 In Sales Race