Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trim Removal / Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2024, 06:04 AM
Newusername
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 124 Posts

I swapped out the Piano black for matte Carbon Fiber in mine and it’s not a bad job, the door panels do require come cutting of the plastic rivets that are melted on at the factory and the new inserts screw on, not a bad job.

Last edited by Newusername; 08-27-2024 at 06:05 AM.
Old 08-27-2024, 11:38 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Newusername
I swapped out the Piano black for matte Carbon Fiber in mine and it’s not a bad job, the door panels do require come cutting of the plastic rivets that are melted on at the factory and the new inserts screw on, not a bad job.
I suppose it’s easier when working with a set of new trim rather than re-wrapped trim. How long did the job take you?
Old 08-27-2024, 12:54 PM
CaptainHo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
I had door/dash trim re-wrapped in leather/alcantara by Exclusive Option, and while the dash trim is/was easy, I didn’t quite realize the endeavor that is replacing the door trim. Did you and your buddy plastic weld the door trim or did you screw it in?
We used trim screws to hold it in, or thoughts were that if we ever wanted to change it again in the future it would just be easier.
Old 08-27-2024, 01:28 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Originally Posted by CaptainHo
We used trim screws to hold it in, or thoughts were that if we ever wanted to change it again in the future it would just be easier.
Got it. Do you remember which trim screws you used?
Old 08-27-2024, 03:30 PM
CaptainHo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got it. Do you remember which trim screws you used?
It's been about 2 years so my memory is a bit foggy haha, but they were #6 or #8 black trim screws, the style with a floating washer around the head. I don't remember length but i want to say it was about 1/2". I'd personally just buy a kit off amazon or something so you have a few lengths to play with.
The following users liked this post:
M3Inline6 (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 04:02 PM
solidgranite
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Live with it for a year and see where you land. I'd be scared to ruin some of the areas around the trim during removal and reinstallation. The fact that some of it is melted in place really scares me! LOL. Good luck though w/ the new purchase and congrats!
Old 08-27-2024, 04:54 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Originally Posted by CaptainHo
It's been about 2 years so my memory is a bit foggy haha, but they were #6 or #8 black trim screws, the style with a floating washer around the head. I don't remember length but i want to say it was about 1/2". I'd personally just buy a kit off amazon or something so you have a few lengths to play with.
Thanks for that. I’ll definitely check into an Amazon kit. Frank at Exclusive Option said they use JB Weld when reattaching trim, but I haven’t ever worked with that stuff.

Originally Posted by solidgranite
Live with it for a year and see where you land. I'd be scared to ruin some of the areas around the trim during removal and reinstallation. The fact that some of it is melted in place really scares me! LOL. Good luck though w/ the new purchase and congrats!
I don’t believe this is/was directed at me, was it? My car is 2.5 years old and already modified. I’m at the tail end of my mod road; the custom front lip being designed is my last planned modification.
Old 08-27-2024, 05:15 PM
solidgranite
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I don’t believe this is/was directed at me, was it? My car is 2.5 years old and already modified. I’m at the tail end of my mod road; the custom front lip being designed is my last planned modification.
Oh, no! It was directed at the OP.
Old 08-27-2024, 06:55 PM
silencei2
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 49 Posts

I swapped out all my pillars with OEM Alcantara pieces and was surprised to see that they use self tapping sheet metal screws to resecure the removable plastic trim (primarily the plastic trim that the seat belts route through). They did a terrible job at removing the ultrasonic welds and made them a mess. I ended up neatly trimming/removing the ones on my stock trim pieces and fitting them onto the alcantara pillar pieces.

I also found they cut/trimmed down the sheet metal screws to make sure they were the right length or didn't poke through to the other side.

JB weld is a 2-part epoxy/resin so it will create a really good bond between parts but will be a royal PITA to remove. I'd opt for the screws if you can, it'll actually look cleaner and gives you some wiggle room. If you don't clamp down the pieces while waiting for JB weld to cure it could require a very tough clean up/fix.

Amazon Amazon
Old 08-27-2024, 08:05 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Originally Posted by silencei2
I swapped out all my pillars with OEM Alcantara pieces and was surprised to see that they use self tapping sheet metal screws to resecure the removable plastic trim (primarily the plastic trim that the seat belts route through). They did a terrible job at removing the ultrasonic welds and made them a mess. I ended up neatly trimming/removing the ones on my stock trim pieces and fitting them onto the alcantara pillar pieces.

I also found they cut/trimmed down the sheet metal screws to make sure they were the right length or didn't poke through to the other side.

JB weld is a 2-part epoxy/resin so it will create a really good bond between parts but will be a royal PITA to remove. I'd opt for the screws if you can, it'll actually look cleaner and gives you some wiggle room. If you don't clamp down the pieces while waiting for JB weld to cure it could require a very tough clean up/fix.

https://www.amazon.com/weideer-Drill.../dp/B0BDR16HJ1
Thanks for the advice and the link to a screw set. I will order the screws and have some JBW on hand just in case. I’ll likely tackle the door trim job on this upcoming Monday or Tuesday. I just installed the dash trim and it looks really nice (..although the very small scratch(es) on the outer portion of the donor trim triggers my OCD ; thankfully it’s not very obvious unless I point it out).

P.S. By “they”, as it pertains to your comments about self-tapping sheet metal screws and messy ultrasonic welds, are you referring to Porsche, an upholstery shop or Exclusive Option?

Last edited by M3Inline6; 08-27-2024 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-28-2024, 03:06 PM
ferraris
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Thebig1
Hi all,

Have an almost perfect 992 lined up. All the toys I am looking for, good deal etc. Only thing I am not sure about is it has wood trim in the centre console, dash and door panels.
has anyone took these trims off before, easy, any guides etc. Can not see any replacements anywhere apart from dealer, wouldn't like that cost so was thinking of have them wrapped or hydro dipped?
This shows you how to remove the dashboard trim (looks an easy job).....

These are the centre console (also an easy job):...

Not sure about the trim on the door panels.
Old 08-28-2024, 03:21 PM
silencei2
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks for the advice and the link to a screw set. I will order the screws and have some JBW on hand just in case. I’ll likely tackle the door trim job on this upcoming Monday or Tuesday. I just installed the dash trim and it looks really nice (..although the very small scratch(es) on the outer portion of the donor trim triggers my OCD ; thankfully it’s not very obvious unless I point it out).

P.S. By “they”, as it pertains to your comments about self-tapping sheet metal screws and messy ultrasonic welds, are you referring to Porsche, an upholstery shop or Exclusive Option?
'They' as in whoever does the alcantara upholstery for Porsche. The ultrasonic welds done at the factory look like they are done by a robot and make sense for mass produced pieces. The messy job is referring to whomever removes the ultrasonic welds to then rewrap/reupholster the pieces in leather or alcantara, it looks like someone with a soldering iron going to town on them with their eyes blindfolded. The trim pieces are then reattached using crudely modified self tapping screws.

This appeared on B and C pillars from two different sources, one was an exclusive manufacture piece that had the Porsche symbol embossed into the alcantara B pillar.

Old 08-28-2024, 04:18 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Originally Posted by silencei2
'They' as in whoever does the alcantara upholstery for Porsche. The ultrasonic welds done at the factory look like they are done by a robot and make sense for mass produced pieces. The messy job is referring to whomever removes the ultrasonic welds to then rewrap/reupholster the pieces in leather or alcantara, it looks like someone with a soldering iron going to town on them with their eyes blindfolded. The trim pieces are then reattached using crudely modified self tapping screws.

This appeared on B and C pillars from two different sources, one was an exclusive manufacture piece that had the Porsche symbol embossed into the alcantara B pillar.

Damn! That is bad!!!!!

Quick Reply: Trim Removal / Change