C/D 992 GTS Road Test

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 04:48 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,681 Likes on 5,112 Posts

Originally Posted by retrojay2345
I have owned a 997 gt3 and a 991.1 gt3. Im talking straight up numbers. 90 percent of people are not tracking these cars so dont start with that
Right, but did you actually drive those cars the way they were meant to be driven?
Old 01-08-2022, 08:14 PM
R N M
Racer

Received 255 Likes on 112 Posts

As a 991 T owner, i have a deposit down on GTS.

Porsche has a miracle way of having what seems the same 911 feel very different. Before i got my T which has SPASM and RAS, i drove 991.2 base and S cars, the T was just so much more sportier, more stable at speed yet more playful and confidence inspiring.

From watching many reviews, this GTS has that magic potion of a sporty visceral driving experience that can’t be translated by looking at paper specs comparing it to a sport optioned C2S. Obviously its not as crazy as a GT3 but it maybe more fun on the street and you can actually buy one.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:29 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 143 Posts

Has anyone noticed that the Carrera base, as tested also by Car and Driver compared to the GTS:
(date of the Car and Driver 911 Carrera base test 12/1/2020, author Dave Vanderwerp.)

70-0 braking distance of 139 feet versus 143 feet for the GTS
100-0 braking distance of 277 feet versus 288 feet for the GTS

skidpad base: 1.08G,
skidpad GTS: 1.06G

The shorter braking distance for the Carrera base versus the GTS and the higher skidpad number are both done with the exact same Pirelli P Zero PZ4 type, but smaller size!
This is the benefit of lower curb weight... per Car and Driver 3360 pounds for the base versus 3399 pounds for the GTS.
Granted, the difference on the skidpad is splitting hairs, but a win is a win, assuming similar ambient temperature and humidity in both tests.

And maybe throttle response of the base is better because of the smaller turbos.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:36 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,503 Likes on 963 Posts

I don't know, you could attribute those deltas to temperature differences, possibly.
The following users liked this post:
dhirm5 (01-09-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 08:42 PM
Hadlyme
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 23 Posts

Response to 22992
I was going to put a Cobb Tuning Map on my 2017 911S, it would make about 500 hp and achieve what you are looking for. After talking to a few Service Managers I decided to leave the car alone and added an extended service contract from Porsche instead. New engines cost $40-50k and new PDK’s cost $17-18k they said. With the extended warranty I could run the car as fast as necessary without worry.
About a month after that decision I sold the 2017 911S for 80% of its cost and ordered a new Gentian Blue 992 GTS Coupe with Aerokit in High Gloss Black. It will have both the extra horsepower I wanted plus the improved visual impact that was missing on the GT Silver 911S. (Most of the unused premium on the warranty was refunded per contract).
I started with a 2013 Base 911 Manual, Next was the 2017 911S with PDK. After the GTS I expect my next Porsche will be a Turbo S. It’s the natural progression.

Last edited by Hadlyme; 01-08-2022 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-09-2022, 08:54 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,310 Likes on 613 Posts

I mean the thing does 0-60 is 2.8 and is doing 10s in the 1/4 mile. It has the same seat option as a gt3 and chassis of a turbo. Im sorry but Those numbers and options make it very close to a gt3. I think GT3 buyers want to feel more exclusive and want to fall into the hype so get mad when a car like this comes on. I can get into a gt3 and a gts and do the same 0-60 so how can you not put it in the same category ?? Ok The GT3 sounds better and has more road feel blah blah blah.
I see so many folks saying that. No, the GTS does not have the chassis of the turbo. It has the Carreras chassis. The wider 992 chassis is exclusive to the turbo (for now).
The following 2 users liked this post by CanAutM3:
aggie57 (01-09-2022), rk-d (01-09-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 09:14 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,310 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Tompoodie
Has anyone noticed that the Carrera base, as tested also by Car and Driver compared to the GTS:
(date of the Car and Driver 911 Carrera base test 12/1/2020, author Dave Vanderwerp.)

70-0 braking distance of 139 feet versus 143 feet for the GTS
100-0 braking distance of 277 feet versus 288 feet for the GTS

skidpad base: 1.08G,
skidpad GTS: 1.06G

The shorter braking distance for the Carrera base versus the GTS and the higher skidpad number are both done with the exact same Pirelli P Zero PZ4 type, but smaller size!
This is the benefit of lower curb weight... per Car and Driver 3360 pounds for the base versus 3399 pounds for the GTS.
Granted, the difference on the skidpad is splitting hairs, but a win is a win, assuming similar ambient temperature and humidity in both tests.

And maybe throttle response of the base is better because of the smaller turbos.
Re braking distances, the GTS has PCCB while the base Carrera has the iron rotors.
Old 01-09-2022, 09:30 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 757 Likes on 328 Posts

I mean the thing does 0-60 is 2.8 and is doing 10s in the 1/4 mile. It has the same seat option as a gt3 and chassis of a turbo. Im sorry but Those numbers and options make it very close to a gt3. I think GT3 buyers want to feel more exclusive and want to fall into the hype so get mad when a car like this comes on. I can get into a gt3 and a gts and do the same 0-60 so how can you not put it in the same category ?? Ok The GT3 sounds better and has more road feel blah blah blah.
I cross shopped the Gt3 Touring and the GTS . Each had a different purpose and wait times to get the car were different as well. Neither had ADM. The thing that led me to the GTS is that I not only want but need to drive my 911 EVERY DAY . The Touring would have been a garage queen.

In terms of price .. they can compete , A poverty spec Gt3 near equalled a high spec GTS . Thats just the entry point . We all know exit point is strong for the Gt3 so cost to own might actually make the Gt3 more car for less money overall.

It came down to satisfying my individual needs . If I lived in a moderate climate mountain road , hair pin curve region and had a daily driver then the Gt3 would have been the easy choice . However the streets if Miami puts both at overkill but the Touring fell off the map.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:32 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 757 Likes on 328 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LSM111
Very impressive indeed .
Old 01-09-2022, 11:49 AM
Vaf
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
I cross shopped the Gt3 Touring and the GTS . Each had a different purpose and wait times to get the car were different as well. Neither had ADM. The thing that led me to the GTS is that I not only want but need to drive my 911 EVERY DAY . The Touring would have been a garage queen.

In terms of price .. they can compete , A poverty spec Gt3 near equalled a high spec GTS . Thats just the entry point . We all know exit point is strong for the Gt3 so cost to own might actually make the Gt3 more car for less money overall.

It came down to satisfying my individual needs . If I lived in a moderate climate mountain road , hair pin curve region and had a daily driver then the Gt3 would have been the easy choice . However the streets if Miami puts both at overkill but the Touring fell off the map.
I got an allocation for the GT3 Touring. There was absolutely an ADM, and it was higher in California, NY, and FL. I think you would be extremely fortunate and unique to be getting one without a big ADM. The dealer conceded and gave me GTS options with no ADM. I also believe many dealers are getting an ADM for GTS too… Having built both the GT3T and the GTS for my order, I can also tell you that the GT3T required a fair amount of option spend too. I agree that the GT3T will hold its price better no doubt. Just wondering if the new buyer 4 years from now will give the seller credit for the ADM that is not on the window sticker?
Old 01-09-2022, 03:52 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,681 Likes on 5,112 Posts

Originally Posted by Vaf
I got an allocation for the GT3 Touring. There was absolutely an ADM, and it was higher in California, NY, and FL. I think you would be extremely fortunate and unique to be getting one without a big ADM. The dealer conceded and gave me GTS options with no ADM. I also believe many dealers are getting an ADM for GTS too… Having built both the GT3T and the GTS for my order, I can also tell you that the GT3T required a fair amount of option spend too. I agree that the GT3T will hold its price better no doubt. Just wondering if the new buyer 4 years from now will give the seller credit for the ADM that is not on the window sticker?
Have you seen the current prices of the 991 GT3 Tourings?
Old 01-10-2022, 03:24 PM
GTS524
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
GTS with no ADM is a score. If you can pull that off, awesome.
no ADM here either on my Targa 4 GTS.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:34 PM
centaur
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Very impressive indeed .
Yes indeedy. Nice performance #s. 128MPH trap speed is very strong and indicates a car that will be really fun on the street. That's at least 10 MPH above the base Carrera which is no slouch.
I want a 992 GTS!
Old 01-10-2022, 03:56 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 143 Posts

Very impressive indeed .
Tested: Base 2020 Porsche 911 Is a Worthy Six-Figure Sports Car (caranddriver.com)

...As are the Carrera base braking distance and skidpad testing which exceed those of the GTS.

I also included in this post the testing procedure for Car and Driver that accounts for atmospheric and barometric conditions on different testing days and different vehicles:

"All of our straight-line acceleration results are the average of the best run in opposite directions, to account for wind. Ambient weather conditions—we record absolute barometric pressure and wet- and dry-bulb temperatures trackside—determine how much power an engine makes. Because of that, we also correct acceleration results to 60 degrees Fahrenheit at sea level. Cooler air is denser and contains more oxygen, allowing the engine to burn more fuel and make more power. Similarly, high barometric pressure produces more power than low pressure, and dry air has more oxygen than moist air. All of our standing-start acceleration times also include rollout, a short period of time (typically about 0.3 second) that we subtract from the acceleration figures. It's a phenomenon that stems from the physics of the timing lights at a drag strip, where a car can be rolling for 12 inches or more before the clock starts. We recently changed our procedure to now use the industry standard 1-foot rollout."
Attached Files
File Type: docx
Specifications.docx (14.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 01-10-2022, 05:11 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,651 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Tompoodie

"All of our straight-line acceleration results are the average of the best run in opposite directions, to account for wind. Ambient weather conditions—we record absolute barometric pressure and wet- and dry-bulb temperatures trackside—determine how much power an engine makes. Because of that, we also correct acceleration results to 60 degrees Fahrenheit at sea level. Cooler air is denser and contains more oxygen, allowing the engine to burn more fuel and make more power. Similarly, high barometric pressure produces more power than low pressure, and dry air has more oxygen than moist air. All of our standing-start acceleration times also include rollout, a short period of time (typically about 0.3 second) that we subtract from the acceleration figures. It's a phenomenon that stems from the physics of the timing lights at a drag strip, where a car can be rolling for 12 inches or more before the clock starts. We recently changed our procedure to now use the industry standard 1-foot rollout."
How is that quote relevant to the potential for different conditions affecting results when testing breaking distance? It addresses their procedure for testing straight line acceleration. We get it - you hate the GTS, think it is a waste of money and think it will be an inferior performer to the less expensive Carrera base. I am sure that Porsche specifically designed the GTS to be outperformed by the base Carrera model. My recommendation to you is that you should not buy one. But you may want to quit your incessant yet unsuccessful campaign to **** in the cornflakes of those of us who choose one. Its becoming quite tired at this point.

Last edited by Drew46; 01-10-2022 at 05:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Fcassells (01-10-2022)

Quick Reply: C/D 992 GTS Road Test