That's "Good to Know"

siberian
Old 12-20-2021, 02:42 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Originally Posted by JKMD
Thank you for your reply. What if there aren't any obstacle under the bumper when it lowers itself after extended period of time. Leaving the car raised somehow damage the FAL system? My C2S with FAL is arriving in 10 days.
There is no damage to the FAL system if you leave the car with the lift up when you exit.

This is why Porsche built in the fail-safe system whereby the system automatically lowers itself after the engine is shut-off.

While not aways the case, Porsche usually makes their cars as idiot-proof as possible. PCM and door-handles notwithstanding.
Old 12-20-2021, 02:45 PM
JRW1
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
There is no damage to the FAL system if you leave the car with the lift up when you exit.

This is why Porsche built in the fail-safe system whereby the system automatically lowers itself after the engine is shut-off.

While not aways the case, Porsche usually makes their cars as idiot-proof as possible. PCM and door-handles notwithstanding.
Others on this thread are saying that the system does not automatically lower itself after the engine is shut off. Who is correct?
Old 12-20-2021, 02:49 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

I would trust that Porsche didn't bother to write a caution for the sake of wasting ink.

I think given the type of system it is and what long time usage entails, I lower mine. The few times I've left mine on, I would say it's a crap shoot as to how many times it lowered itself vs it didn't.

Your call as to what or who you want to believe.

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 12-20-2021 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-20-2021, 03:05 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 663 Posts

It’s really interesting how the views differ so greatly on this. I’ve yet to scrape on my Spyder, which is significantly lower than a 992. I traverse speed bumps and humps regularly. I’m certainly not getting FAL on my 992. My next door neighbor has a 992S with FAL and says he still scrapes. But I’ve seen him drive! I watched him exit his driveway at about 30 mph and scrape. I’d never do that (for many reasons other than scrape concerns). The first time I crossed speed humps, I just crawled. I kept trying it faster as a test. I can cross them faster than the 25 mph speed limit without scraping, but I don’t since it’s a residential area and I’m not an idiot (well, that’s on a sliding scale 😊 and I admit to driving like an idiot on back curvy roads) There is a sudden break in grade on a back road where I often drive like an idiot, but I never scrape. The car really compresses hard when I hit it. If I don’t scrape there, I can’t imagine where I would.

I also replaced the lip for my neighbor (because I have a lift, and he can’t turn a screwdriver, and I’m nice.) It was really easy. Perhaps factor in the price of 3 lip replacements over several years vs the price of FAL.

But everyone drives in different areas with different concerns so if you think you need it, you should probably get it.

Also, it’s funny because I drive significantly faster on curvy back roads than my neighbor. I drove his 992 at slower speeds than I drive my Spyder and he was scared to death. He said he’s never had his car that fast on curvy roads and didn’t think he had the skill to do so.

Last edited by Denny Swift; 12-20-2021 at 03:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Denny Swift:
AlterZgo (12-20-2021), cwbrown (11-06-2022)
Old 12-20-2021, 03:11 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Exactly, and I think that sums it up.

If you think you MIGHT need it, get it. That's it, no sense in asking for yet another round of "do you think?".

Same for leaving it up or down when you switch the engine off. You have a caution in your manual, understand how the system works and then decide. I can tell you one thing though, if it eventually does cause damage and they trace it to that, I can guarantee you Porsche will quote chapter and verse from page 113.

siberian
The following users liked this post:
Denny Swift (12-20-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 03:17 PM
JRW1
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Exactly, and I think that sums it up.

If you think you MIGHT need it, get it. That's it, no sense in asking for yet another round of "do you think?".

Same for leaving it up or down when you switch the engine off. You have a caution in your manual, understand how the system works and then decide. I can tell you one thing though, if it eventually does cause damage and they trace it to that, I can guarantee you Porsche will quote chapter and verse from page 113.

siberian
Siberian, thanks. To clarify my previous question, has anyone experienced FAL auto lowering after the engine is off? Of course, irrespective of the answer, I will always try to remember to lower before turning off the engine.
Old 12-20-2021, 03:21 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes, as I mentioned it's a crap shoot. Of the few times I left it on, some lowered other times it didn't. No guarantee it will lower before external conditions cause it to (weak battery...)

siberian
Old 12-20-2021, 03:21 PM
911Castle
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 142 Posts

I have it on my 22. and the few times I've accidentally left it up, it has stayed up. Never lowered it on its own with Car off
Old 11-05-2022, 04:57 PM
Albechow
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 31 Posts

Is it bad to leave the FAL up when parking for an extended period of time? 1-2 days?
I always forget to turn it back off when I get back home.
Just wondering if it would do a lot of harm when it’s on for a while.
Thanks
Old 11-05-2022, 05:07 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This has been discussed multiple times with references to your User Manual. to avoid this issue you can do what I do rather than wait for Porsche to solve another problem that should never have become one - namely to automatically lower FAL when the engines shuts off. Notice placed in front of driver as he enters the garage and in red letters to denote important message...

Low tech but it works

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 11-05-2022 at 05:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by siberian:
johny221 (11-05-2022), Smirnoff67 (11-05-2022)
Old 11-05-2022, 06:39 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by Albechow
Is it bad to leave the FAL up when parking for an extended period of time? 1-2 days?
I always forget to turn it back off when I get back home.
Just wondering if it would do a lot of harm when it’s on for a while.
Thanks

I posted on a 3x5 card, and posted next to the door leading from the garage: “Don’t forget to lower the car.” It’s saved me a few times.
Old 11-05-2022, 10:49 PM
JKMD
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

As I had posted previously I had FAL failure few moths ago. There was a fluid leak and took couple of weeks to repair (actual repair was 3-4 days) Then FAL error message popped up after an OTA update (minor) It went away with restarting the car. I really try to remember to lower the car after parking.
Old 11-06-2022, 12:28 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Use siberian's method, thousands of satisfied customers... it's free and it works!.

siberian
Old 12-09-2022, 02:15 PM
AkiraK
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Everyone, new to Rennlist.

My build locks on Monday Dec 12 for a 4s and deciding on a front axel lift, if it needed or not?

I am not planning on lowering it as It will be a daily driver here in Toronto for summer and winter.

Quick Reply: Front Axle Lift