Sponsored by:

992 manual vs 991.2 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 08:07 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 759 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I think the point is that standard units will struggle. Race clutches are not a practical OEM option - they can be hard to modulate in traffic and noisy (granted not every application ends up like that).

People have a hard enough time driving manual transmission nowadays and modern stick shifts are so buttery smooth and easy to drive. Even the RS clutch in my (relatively) lower powered 993 is difficult for some people to drive. I can't imagine Porsche outfitting a true race clutch in street car. You'd have people bringing the car in for service because they're stalling out the car and think it's broken.

That said - there was a rumor that Porsche was going to make a limited run of Sport Classics with the Turbo S engine, but ducktail spoiler, RWD and manual transmission. So maybe they've figure something out? A car like that would be incredible.
Even the stock clutch was almost a deal breaker on the test drive . They had a power assist feature as a luxury . It was too buttery. The engagement point was odd compared for my former 997.1 S . Nonetheless I bought the car with the platform in mind . When we took it to the modified turbo level it was extremely tricky . There were only 3 people I allowed to drive the car . A guy in New Zealand nearly rolled a mountain . Eventually I decided to go big and remove the power assist via a clutch conversion . Its like doing a leg press but engagement is precise . 25 K miles later no blown clutch either .

Fast forward to present time -- Porsche can do this . They could have done it back then too . I think they didn't want doctors and CEO's crashing on public roads . Thus they make the car go to 60 fast because that's the auto journalist benchmark time but then it tapers off . The modded cars will run all the way up the gear and hurl the driver into the next one without giving up . Its actually mind blowing at first .

They dont have to go this far . I dont even mod my cars anymore . However if a person wants a manual turbo I think it can be done unless emissions keep its to a 7 or 8 spec and then I have no idea . A big engine adjustment might be needed as well. Most guys who changed internals and went higher ended up in. a sequential shifter . That BTW should not be off the table if its a limited edition but it will be .

I was pretty set on it when younger and more capricious . It cost me as much a modern day Turbo S and by the time I was done all those hours and expense wanted me to keep it forever . Pics
from the build

Last edited by yrralis1; 12-06-2021 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:59 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,952 Likes on 5,210 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Yes they can . I have a stage 3 clutch in my 750 Hp 997.1tt . My car was a project car . The cost of a Kevlar clutch was about 2600 plus install . The car comes stock with 480 . We took the stock clutch off at 575 . Anything more than 750 means changing the internals which can be done as well . As I said I don't remember exactly why (it is 14 years later) but it had to do with the Dfi engine .
Doesn't that prove the point that the OEM 7MT in stock form cannot handle the torque output of the TT/TTS? Certainly, not on a reliable, repeatable basis, such as the PDK can in this now famous video from MotorTrend.

For PAG to put a MT in a high torque car like the TT/TTS or GT2/RS, it would need to be bullet proof like the PDK is.

Old 12-06-2021, 03:02 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 930 Likes on 489 Posts

From experience, PDK's are not "bulletproof".
Old 12-06-2021, 04:55 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,903 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Given the MT is a carry over from the 991 and it's essentially a 7-speed PDK with manual clutch and MECOSA you'd have to wonder if any weakness is clutch related, not gearbox persay. Unless they're worried about the manual shift mechanism being exposed to high-torque shifts? That doesn't scream issue to me on 1st cut but who knows.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:54 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 759 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Doesn't that prove the point that the OEM 7MT in stock form cannot handle the torque output of the TT/TTS? Certainly, not on a reliable, repeatable basis, such as the PDK can in this now famous video from MotorTrend.

For PAG to put a MT in a high torque car like the TT/TTS or GT2/RS, it would need to be bullet proof like the PDK is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5DRCTW-Q7o

The 2007 Turbo had 480 Hp stock. Thats equal to the OEM clutch in todays 992 GTS . They are having no problem doing yesterdays car right now . The TTS merely means using a stronger clutch and making that one the specific to the higher Hp . The OEM clutch in the 997 Turbo was not the same as the 997S . Even with PDK I haven't researched the 992 but with the Macan the Turbo did get a stronger unit than the S.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:50 AM
Porsche992
Pro

Received 422 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Unpopular opinion incoming…
The seven speed manual isn’t very good. Truth be told, most of the manuals in the last days of the 3 pedal transmission aren’t very good.

Whereas the 8 speed PDK is a benchmark setting dual clutch transmission, the 7 speed wouldn’t make anyone’s manual transmission top 10 list.

If you want a three pedal car, it’s nice to have the option. It’s just a shame that it’s not a particularly exceptional transmission.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Like zero clue.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:36 PM
eonflux
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by typehxr1
I currently have a 2019 GTS (2wd) in PDK. It's my first Porsche and definitely won't be my last. It's not a daily driver, so I can have it be whatever I want it to be, and I've decided I want something different. I either want the fastest (991.2 Turbo S) for that "be all, end all rocket-ship warp your senses" speed, or I want a 992 (S or 4S) in manual transmission for more engagement in a newer package (that's still really fast) that I can build with exactly what I want. I can't get a GT3 because my kids can't ride in the back. In the hopes of stepping outside of my own head, I wanted to reach out to everyone here to get feedback/alternate perspectives.
After 12 years of having daily drivers with manual transmissions (including a 987.1 Boxster) in San Francisco, figured I'd give PDK a try when I got a 991.1 given all the rave reviews.

Great transmission, and I appreciated the ability to go into neutral by pulling both paddles simultaneously which could be unique for the 911 (my Macan doesn't do that, nor other dual clutches I've driven (BMW, McLaren)), but I got bored with PDK.
A forthcoming baby unfortunately forced me out of that (white) 991.1, but it wasn't completely painful because I missed driving a manual.

When our child grew old/big enough for a seat that works in a 911, was time to get back into one and there was no bloody way I would get PDK again.
Would prefer a 992 GTS but didn't want to wait, so picked up this red 991.2 GTS manual this past summer.

Name:  Hg6vMIP.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  154.3 KB

Name:  uWZFFft.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  202.6 KB

Last edited by eonflux; 12-09-2021 at 10:10 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by eonflux:
AlterZgo (12-09-2021), inthesticks (12-09-2021), typehxr1 (12-09-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 05:27 PM
inthesticks
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by eonflux
After 12 years of having daily drivers with manual transmissions (including a 987.1 Boxster) in San Francisco, figured I'd give PDK a try when I got a 991.1 given all the rave reviews.

Great transmission, and I appreciated the ability to go into neutral by pulling both paddles simultaneously which could be unique for the 911 (my Macan doesn't do that, nor other dual clutches I've driven (BMW, McLaren), but I got bored with PDK.
A forthcoming baby unfortunately forced me out of that (white) 991.1, but it wasn't completely painful because I missed driving a manual.

When our child grew old/big enough for a seat that works in a 911, was time to get back into one and there was no bloody way I would get PDK again.
Would prefer a 992 GTS but didn't want to wait, so picked up this red 991.2 GTS manual this past summer.
That sums it up right there. PDK is a great transmission. But no matter how great a DCT is, it will never have the same engagement as a manual.
The following users liked this post:
audimotion (12-09-2021)

Quick Reply: 992 manual vs 991.2 Turbo S