Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are your thoughts on this base build?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 01:10 PM
clb
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What are your thoughts on this base build?

Hello everyone, I am new here, but always been lurking around finally caved in and joined. I have these two builds, Would this be excessive on a base build? I really like the look of the aerokit and for whatever reason keep coming back to black paint. Ive never had a black car; maybe you have to learn the hard way. Also how would graphite interior work with black? Anyone spec it that way? Most pics I see online are on a white or silver sometimes blue exterior. Its just hard to draw the line when you are ticking option boxes away and next thing you know few thousand more you can build a gts lol

first one is PNM5X9J2
second PN73HA31

Canadian pricing of course
The following users liked this post:
phila12180 (12-01-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 02:01 PM
TR772
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts

Sport Design on black doesn't make sense as you can't see it.
Use some of that money for the other two exhaust options
Get rid of the Wing.

Begin with that...

Last edited by TR772; 11-29-2021 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 04:40 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 590 Posts

I am going to be ordering a base car once an allocation comes up and was planning on the std exhaust. However, after driving a 992 this weekend, I am going with the sport exhaust for sure! Car sounds much better with the exhaust open and you can shut it off when you like. At the very least, I'd get twin sport tailpipes. The std exhaust tips look like they belong on an SUV.
Old 11-29-2021, 04:43 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by TR772
Sport Design on black doesn't make sense as you can't see it.
Use some of that money for the other two exhaust options
Get rid of the Wing.

Begin with that...
He would have to get rid of the wing because you can't lose the Sport Design if you have the wing. And you can't have the wing without the Sport Design.

For me it ends with the black paint though. I understand the OPs prerogative to pick color, and I can abide white as it looks so clean and classic but I generally thumbs down on Black, White or Silver builds.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:54 PM
clb
8th Gear

Hmm thanks for the feedback so far haha.

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
He would have to get rid of the wing because you can't lose the Sport Design if you have the wing. And you can't have the wing without the Sport Design.

For me it ends with the black paint though. I understand the OPs prerogative to pick color, and I can abide white as it looks so clean and classic but I generally thumbs down on Black, White or Silver builds.
Funny you say that. I guess its just my personality all my car has been silver or white
Old 11-29-2021, 05:57 PM
clb
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Onami
I am going to be ordering a base car once an allocation comes up and was planning on the std exhaust. However, after driving a 992 this weekend, I am going with the sport exhaust for sure! Car sounds much better with the exhaust open and you can shut it off when you like. At the very least, I'd get twin sport tailpipes. The std exhaust tips look like they belong on an SUV.
I currently have a Mustang GT. Ive been hearing exhaust videos and perf exhaust and stock doesnt seem whole lot different to my ears. I just think either option will be quieter than a v8
Old 11-29-2021, 06:45 PM
audimotion
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 24 Posts

I struggled with exterior color on my 992 builds. After viewing countless videos, pictures and visiting the dealership for color comparisons, I always went back to JBM. I think it looks very sporty and classic with the RS Spyder wheels. Adventurine Green was considered, but wish it had more green in it. I find it comical on how many bash a black 911. After owning over 40 cars in all colors imaginable, yes, black is a challenge to keep clean, but for me personally, the upkeep is therapeutic and the reward is worth it. BUT...I do agree with a few of the other responses. The sport design does get somewhat lost when the exterior is black. This is something to consider. If you do go full out, with the wing and all, then it may work well. I'd either go all in (with the wing) or leave as standard front/back.
Your builds look good...I prefer the 2nd one.

Last edited by audimotion; 11-29-2021 at 07:16 PM.
clb (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 07:49 PM
Vista6019
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by audimotion
I struggled with exterior color on my 992 builds. After viewing countless videos, pictures and visiting the dealership for color comparisons, I always went back to JBM. I think it looks very sporty and classic with the RS Spyder wheels. Adventurine Green was considered, but wish it had more green in it. I find it comical on how many bash a black 911. After owning over 40 cars in all colors imaginable, yes, black is a challenge to keep clean, but for me personally, the upkeep is therapeutic and the reward is worth it. BUT...I do agree with a few of the other responses. The sport design does get somewhat lost when the exterior is black. This is something to consider. If you do go full out, with the wing and all, then it may work well. I'd either go all in (with the wing) or leave as standard front/back.
Having had Porsche’s in both standard Black and Metallic Black, I would go with the latter as it is much easier to maintain. The standard black looks great but is a beating to keep looking great. Agree with the other comments about the Sports exhaust. It makes a big difference on the Turbo cars and is really worth the money in my view.
audimotion (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 08:02 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by clb
I currently have a Mustang GT. Ive been hearing exhaust videos and perf exhaust and stock doesnt seem whole lot different to my ears. I just think either option will be quieter than a v8
I know a thing or two about V8’s 😀. Stock is exhaust is quiet. If you are expecting it to sound like a performance car…you’ll need sport exhaust.

clb (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 08:38 PM
clb
8th Gear

Thanks for your insight. I am leaning on the second one as well. I couldnt care less about the front but thats the only way I can get the wing as a factory order as far as I can tell. I am going full out skipping the sport design pkg.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:41 PM
clb
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Vista6019
Having had Porsche’s in both standard Black and Metallic Black, I would go with the latter as it is much easier to maintain. The standard black looks great but is a beating to keep looking great. Agree with the other comments about the Sports exhaust. It makes a big difference on the Turbo cars and is really worth the money in my view.
Originally Posted by Onami
I know a thing or two about V8’s 😀. Stock is exhaust is quiet. If you are expecting it to sound like a performance car…you’ll need sport exhaust.
Hmm.. I wish I can hear the difference in person. Cause there was one video where stock exhaust was pretty good on its own.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:50 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by clb
Hmm.. I wish I can hear the difference in person. Cause there was one video where stock exhaust was pretty good on its own.
i think I saw the same video and was going to stick with stock too. I have a Macan S and the stock 992 exhaust sounds just like my Macan. Try and arrange a test drive in one and toggle the sport exhaust on and off and see what you think.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:30 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 759 Likes on 330 Posts

Jet black metallic is not a big deal . Its mostly those who live in dry dusty areas who knee jerk at black . Humidity and less dust make a big difference . Ceramic Pro applied by a pro makes a black car look like candy . I have a JBM Macan but I even have a 14 year old regular black 997 Turbo . I didn't move it from where he parked after detailing . Even after all the years it can look like a sheet of glass !!! I have no fear of black !!

The following 2 users liked this post by yrralis1:
audimotion (11-30-2021), txpackers (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 11:15 PM
Kurac
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 117 Posts

Go with the stock exhaust. Sport ovals are just so played out and not worth $3K for 0hp increase.
phila12180 (12-01-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 10:17 PM
phila12180
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by clb

Hello everyone, I am new here, but always been lurking around finally caved in and joined. I have these two builds, Would this be excessive on a base build? I really like the look of the aerokit and for whatever reason keep coming back to black paint. Ive never had a black car; maybe you have to learn the hard way. Also how would graphite interior work with black? Anyone spec it that way? Most pics I see online are on a white or silver sometimes blue exterior. Its just hard to draw the line when you are ticking option boxes away and next thing you know few thousand more you can build a gts lol

first one is PNM5X9J2
second PN73HA31

Canadian pricing of course
Any way that you configure the car it is a great car but at $140,000 not really a base car (in my opinion) I have a C2 that I took delivery of in June. My car is at the other end of the spectrum mine was $107,000, I am sure that many would say that mine is to close to base. Maybe there is a balance between the two. If money is no option then fine but as a % your build will see greater depreciation. At that price I would look at a C2S with moderate options.
kgs365 (12-01-2021)

Quick Reply: What are your thoughts on this base build?