Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First Porsche - What do you think of my build?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 05:21 PM
Iamlost
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts
Default My First Porsche - What do you think of my build?

Well, I’m officially on the waiting list!!

I have some time to lock in my build, but here is what I like so far:

PNAGKDE6
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNAGKDE6

Thoughts?

Last edited by Iamlost; 11-24-2021 at 09:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Gsound7 (11-23-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 05:26 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,150 Likes on 2,154 Posts

Congrats! Great looking build.
Iamlost (11-24-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 07:26 PM
Gsound7
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice build.The wait is long but worth it. I get mine in January.

Consider
1) premium package instead of remote park/ ACC/ALK
2) upgrade seats to 14 or 18 more comfy.

my 2 cents

——G

Last edited by Gsound7; 11-23-2021 at 07:46 PM.
Iamlost (11-24-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 07:37 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,829 Likes on 954 Posts

Ok. I'll do it. Some interesting choices.

1. Great color.
2. Great interior.
3. I wouldn't worry about the Power Steering Plus. Totally not needed.
4. You're going to scrape that lip. Unless you think you area really needs it skip FAL.
5. Please for the love of pretty things, don't get black wheels.
6. Remote Park Assist with Surround View. Pretty pricey. Need that. Just get the Surround View.
7. Innodrive w/ ACC and ALK. This is starting to look less like a 911 and more like a self driving Tesla with the Remote Park, and other stuff. ALK is kind of crappy.

8. I wonder why you opt for 6 and 7 but don't get some other options. That's just my take. You did get full leather, that's good.

I upgraded your wheels, seats, and added the premium package including the bose system and did away with the FAL, and some other stuff and chopped $3k off the price.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNNVIBL1
Iamlost (11-24-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 07:47 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,142 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal

1. Great color.
2. Great interior.
4. You're going to scrape that lip. Unless you think you area really needs it skip FAL.
6. Remote Park Assist with Surround View. Pretty pricey. Need that. Just get the Surround View.
7. Innodrive w/ ACC and ALK. This is starting to look less like a 911 and more like a self driving Tesla with the Remote Park, and other stuff. ALK is kind of crappy.

8. I wonder why you opt for 6 and 7 but don't get some other options. That's just my take. You did get full leather, that's good.

I upgraded your wheels, seats, and added the premium package including the bose system and did away with the FAL, and some other stuff and chopped $3k off the price.

Nick is that you?

Nick Murray actually does a pretty great job running down the options list and giving slightly subjective but quality insight. Even if you agree with nothing Nick ever says it's worth a watch because he visually highlights some features with real cars that you can only sort of surmise in the configurator. If you're obsessed with your incoming 911 (like we pretty much all are), it's a pretty fun way to spend an hour and a half (there's a part 2 if it wasn't obvious).

Nick also hates black wheels if I recall correctly, but not many others do. Which is an important point- get what YOU like. Forum opinions vary incredibly. Great source of info and if you're on the fence about something, but if you like black wheels, then by all means get black wheels.

I'd avoid the gloss though because they're nearly impossible to keep scratches off of.

Enjoy!
Iamlost (11-24-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 07:51 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

Great color option!
Iamlost (11-24-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 09:40 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,829 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Nick is that you?

Nick Murray actually does a pretty great job running down the options list and giving slightly subjective but quality insight. Even if you agree with nothing Nick ever says it's worth a watch because he visually highlights some features with real cars that you can only sort of surmise in the configurator. If you're obsessed with your incoming 911 (like we pretty much all are), it's a pretty fun way to spend an hour and a half (there's a part 2 if it wasn't obvious).

Nick also hates black wheels if I recall correctly, but not many others do. Which is an important point- get what YOU like. Forum opinions vary incredibly. Great source of info and if you're on the fence about something, but if you like black wheels, then by all means get black wheels.

I'd avoid the gloss though because they're nearly impossible to keep scratches off of.

Enjoy!
No it is not Nick. And yes great color option as I have a Gentian Blue. I personally, and taste here, but I personally loathe black wheels. I think they look tacky. But that is my opinion and taste. Not Nick's.

He does do a great job of explaining a lot of the items in the configurator but he also gets one or two wrong. He incorrectly discussed PASM Sport as just a 10mm lowering, which there is more to the option than that. And he has no love and mocks the Aerokit. I probably initially disliked it after seeing his video. But after seeing posts here, it looks great. I don't think I would get it, but I disagree with him on that.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3rdpedal:
Iamlost (11-24-2021), wl911c4gts (11-24-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 09:49 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 699 Likes on 450 Posts

I agree with @3rdpedal with his thoughts.

I have the same color and interior combo coming in on January 14. There are much better ways other than FAL to spend your money, unless you absolutely need it where you live and drive.

I like black wheels however, the color and chalk/gray interior lend itself to a more luxurious car and black wheels lend themselves to a more sporty car. They clash and don't fit well, in my opinion. Pick one and run with it. Change the interior to black with black wheels OR change the wheels to the regular silver and keep the interior.

It's all up to you though. It's a very nice car and you can't go wrong.
Iamlost (11-24-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 09:55 PM
Yojeffo
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal

1. Great color.
2. Great interior.

Agree with your changes but interior is boring.... spice up the interior with a color tach, chrono and seat belts.
Iamlost (11-24-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 09:59 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

I would skip Remote Park Assist. It seems very gimmicky. It might be fun to play with and show your friends, but are you ever planning on parking anywhere so tight that you need RPA?
The following 2 users liked this post by Drew46:
Iamlost (11-24-2021), phila12180 (11-23-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 12:50 AM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 440 Likes on 234 Posts

I agree with 3rdpedal about the black wheels. I don't like them on any car, but I really don't like them on Gentian. Also, as PHX stated, in your case they don't go well with the light colored interior. I'll be taking delivery of my GB coupe in January and opted for Classics. I don't think options like Power Steering Plus, Park Assist and Lane Keep Assist are necessary. However, living in the LA area with lots of water management "dips" in the roads, I'm getting FAL. It's not the actual scraping I'm worried about, it's slowing to a crawl when entering parking lots from the street. Driving my wife's 997, I'm always aftraid I'm going to get rear ended, even though I use my turn signal well in advance.
The following 2 users liked this post by tgcrun:
Iamlost (11-24-2021), PHX (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 09:32 AM
Iamlost
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

First of all; GREAT FEEDBACK!!! You guys are making me think; which is exactly what I wanted!!! Thank you!!!!!

I’m surprised that no one likes black wheels!!?

I was as glad as (I hope) all you were to see chrome wheels die out; but to my eyes the silver wheels just aren’t that much better. Maybe it’s just the online simulator? I’ll go look at them myself, but I’m not a fan based on photos…

I’m also surprised by the premium package?!

It seems like such a waste to me. With the top down and the exhaust up; who cares what’s on the radio? Moreover, isn’t Bose known for being much better at marketing than music fidelity?

Also, why do you care about the plds? If it was true matrix, then I would totally get it… but it seems just to be a fancy name for auto high beams?

Remote park assist seems like a gimmick to me too

I’m more curious about the 3D surround view… can anyone speak to it? Does it work well or is it fussy to use?

FAL : How can I know if I need it?

I’ve had vettes for the last two decades and scraped on EVERYTHING. 911 is several inches higher, which is good. I’ll be living in Dallas, and notice the roads are pretty uneven. I’m guessing I’ll be needing it… but is there a good way to measure and know for sure?

Last edited by Iamlost; 11-24-2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-24-2021, 09:41 AM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Received 858 Likes on 396 Posts

Surround View - YES

I had it on my Mercedes and ordered it on my 911

IMO it’s a great feature and tremendously assists when parking

I back in and park “tight” against the wall in my garage to maximize space between my wife’s vehicle. SV makes this so much easier !!!
Iamlost (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 10:10 AM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 767 Likes on 340 Posts

+1 for surround view, easily one of the coolest things in cars in the last 5-10 years and super useful to avoid scraping, curbing etc. Maybe not as big of a deal on a smaller car like the 911 but on my C63 with its poor visibility it’s great for navigating weird drive thrus with curbs on both sides and such.

(edit: basic surround view with the overhead camera is what I’m talking about. I doubt a 3D version would be much more useful.)

Conventional wisdom is that the base audio has no business in a 6 figure car. I listened to the Bose and it was good, not great. Personally I spec’d Burm, but it was a tough decision driven mostly by FOMO. You won’t regret the Bose though.

Went back and forth on FAL for my build. Ultimately, what convinced me: the car isn’t low enough for you to tear the entire bumper off somehow, and that front lip trim is only a couple hundred bucks to replace if it gets visibly scraped (which is unlikely — the underside will be though). Easier to skip with that in mind. It’s not that hard to just go diagonally when it looks like you might scrape anyways.

Last edited by zachr; 11-24-2021 at 10:15 AM.
Iamlost (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 10:11 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Iamlost
First of all; GREAT FEEDBACK!!! You guys are making me think; which is exactly what I wanted!!! Thank you!!!!!

I’m surprised that no one likes black wheels!!?

I was as glad as (I hope) all you were to see chrome wheels die out; but to my eyes the silver wheels just aren’t that much better. Maybe it’s just the online simulator? I’ll go look at them myself, but I’m not a fan based on photos…

I’m also surprised by the premium package?!

It seems like such a waste to me. With the top down and the exhaust up; who cares what’s on the radio? Moreover, isn’t Bose known for being much better at marketing than music fidelity?

Also, why do you care about the plds? If it was true matrix, then I would totally get it… but it seems just to be a fancy name for auto high beams?

Remote park assist seems like a gimmick to me too

I’m more curious about the 3D surround view… can anyone speak to it? Does it work well or is it fussy to use?

FAL : How can I know if I need it?

I’ve had vettes for the last two decades and scraped on EVERYTHING. 911 is several inches higher, which is good. I’ll be living in Dallas, and notice the roads are pretty uneven. I’m guessing I’ll be needing it… but is there a good way to measure and know for sure?

I do like the black wheels.

For me, the Surround View is sufficient. While cooler, I don't think the 3D Surround View adds to the practical value of the feature.

There was a thread somewhere where someone measured the clearance and I believe it was 6 inches even with SPASM. Given that I have just about 4 inches clearance now and rarely scrape, that post saved be a couple of grand in my spec.
Iamlost (11-24-2021)

Quick Reply: My First Porsche - What do you think of my build?