Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First Porsche - What do you think of my build?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 12:07 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,139 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by Iamlost
First of all; GREAT FEEDBACK!!! You guys are making me think; which is exactly what I wanted!!! Thank you!!!!!

I’m surprised that no one likes black wheels!!?

I’m also surprised by the premium package?!

Remote park assist seems like a gimmick to me too

FAL : How can I know if I need it?
Black wheels are pretty much officially a trend now, and it seems many folks don't like the black wheels on a dark-colored car. Consider an alternative; like the carrera classics or the carrera exclusive design wheels painted in black, or the rs spyders. I do like black wheels, but I also think a bit of contrast wouldn't hurt, and the other options do look really good. Personally I've always been a fan of the RS spyders but I had them on my 991.2 and looking to mix it up now.

The PDLS is cool for the headlight swivel functionality, and some folks insist that Porsche will provide some sort of retrofit programming to enable the matrix LEDs now that the law allows them in the US. Overall the premium package is a bit underwhelming, but if you were going to spec the PDLS, bose and ventilated seats anyway it basically pays for itself. As for the Bose, as others have said it's good but not great- and yet still some others have claimed the base stereo in the 992 is actually far better than previous gens. In a cab I can understand choosing to skip it, if most of its use will be with the top down. If you plan on spending a decent amount of time with the top up, might be worth it to just check the box. The Burmester is almost universally panned for the cost plus the level of road noise in these cars canceling out any benefit anyway. Definitely save the money and skip the burmester.

Remote park assist is DEFINITELY a gimmick, almost anything is a better way to spend $4k.

You almost definitely don't need FAL. The clearance is far better than you'd think even with sports pasm, people inevitably scrape the front of their cars even with FAL, and the front lip is cheap and easily replaceable even if you do scrape it all the time. I have a pretty severe slope in my driveway and admit I scraped my 991.2 with SPASM not infrequently, but a) it was still better than an F82 M4 I had previously and b) even after a year of scraping it was not a big deal at all, only noticeable under intense scrutiny. I vote to skip it on any non-GT car, at a minimum.
The following 2 users liked this post by manifold danger:
3rdpedal (11-24-2021), Iamlost (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 12:45 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,817 Likes on 950 Posts

First of all; GREAT FEEDBACK!!! You guys are making me think; which is exactly what I wanted!!! Thank you!!!!!

I was as glad as (I hope) all you were to see chrome wheels die out; but to my eyes the silver wheels just aren’t that much better. Maybe it’s just the online simulator? I’ll go look at them myself, but I’m not a fan based on photos…

It seems like such a waste to me. With the top down and the exhaust up; who cares what’s on the radio? Moreover, isn’t Bose known for being much better at marketing than music fidelity?

Also, why do you care about the plds? If it was true matrix, then I would totally get it… but it seems just to be a fancy name for auto high beams?

I’m more curious about the 3D surround view… can anyone speak to it? Does it work well or is it fussy to use?
I have it on my Volvo XC90. I mistakenly thought that the ugly center camera nub on the 992 was from Surround so I did not spec it. That bump is actually from ACC not Surround. Otherwise I would have gotten it. That said I have a tight garage and the Lidar sensors still do a great job of helping me park but Surround View is $$ well spent. My only other regret (sort of) was not dressing up the interior EVEN More with seat belts. Nick Murray hates them. He loves the idea and says they get dirty. He may be right but they add a nice touch. My issue is that I would have liked Red Belts not Chalk but my interior is essentially Chalk and Black so red would have been strange. And for a blue car not the best choice.

I actually did not spec the premium package as I didn't think I needed PDLS+. Car comes with PDLS and the plus just adds all the swiveling and auto high beam etc. to the same great lights. Some nights I think it would be nice. But I can live without it. And since I mistakenly didn't want surround, I opted for the parts of the package I wanted instead of the whole thing.

I can't say enough how great the Classics look. Very sporty. Only the faces are silver and subdued so it is not a bright wheel like the base wheel. The Exclusives (with the additional black paint to make them pop) look great too, but they are more lux and I wanted a more sporty look.

Old 11-24-2021, 01:02 PM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 256 Posts

Well, I’m officially on the waiting list!!

I have some time to lock in my build, but here is what I like so far:

PNAGKDE6
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNAGKDE6

Thoughts?

When you note you're on the "waiting list," what has your dealer told you? Did you have to leave a deposit? Were you told the price relative to MSRP? The only reason I ask is there's a big difference in being on a waiting list and actually having a confirmed order. Many people here have waited months on multiple waiting lists, leaving deposits, all the while not getting notification of an allocation and firm order. If you don't have a firm order (called V200 status, generally), then keep looking around here and at various dealers to get one at a fair price. My SA (and I"m not alone) is quoting a waiting period of 12 - 18 months from waitlist to the car getting to you. And that's for a base or S. If you want a Cab, 4, 4s, or Targa, it's longer than that. If you're on a waiting list and you're not vigilant, you might miss out when a dealer receives an allocation for what you want.

I don't mean to pump the brakes. I'm just being realistic.
Old 11-24-2021, 01:35 PM
Iamlost
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Go Bruins
When you note you're on the "waiting list," what has your dealer told you? Did you have to leave a deposit? Were you told the price relative to MSRP?

I appreciate the concern!!

I am “just” on the waiting list. I called around to about a dozen dealers in my (two) cities & narrowed it down to two. This one is selling at MSRP and offering $1k in store credit for using them over all the other dealers in the area. The have 4 people in front of me and give priority to locals.

The second dealer is in my “other city”; and if I were to go with them I’d be looking at a 12-18 hour road trip to get the car where I wanted. Fun for sure; but not ideal.

So who knows? I might be waiting on this list for nothing. But I do have everything in writing….

Last edited by Iamlost; 11-24-2021 at 01:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Go Bruins (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 02:13 PM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 256 Posts

I appreciate the concern!!

I am “just” on the waiting list. I called around to about a dozen dealers in my (two) cities & narrowed it down to two. This one is selling at MSRP and offering $1k in store credit for using them over all the other dealers in the area. The have 4 people in front of me and give priority to locals.

The second dealer is in my “other city”; and if I were to go with them I’d be looking at a 12-18 hour road trip to get the car where I wanted. Fun for sure; but not ideal.

So who knows? I might be waiting on this list for nothing. But I do have everything in writing….
I wish you the best of luck. Keep looking and keep calling. Buying a car out of state is not that difficult. The dealer can ship it to you for a modest price, which might outweigh a long drive home. They also should be able to handle all the documents for your home state. On the other hand, a road trip with a new 911 sounds pretty great. The big downfall on an out-of-state dealer and shipping is you don't get the personal delivery. The market is nuts right now. Had I not lucked out on an allocation in April (I'm taking delivery next month at PEC-LA), I'm not sure where I'd be right now. Most likely -- driving something other than a 911.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:31 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 673 Likes on 437 Posts

@Iamlost I love black wheels, just not with Gentian Blue. I have a (everyone duck) 2020 Ford Explorer and a 2020 Ford Mustang that have black wheels...blue exp and black pony car and they go perfectly. I, for some reason, just don't like the black wheels with the GB and the chalk/gray interior as you (and I) have spec'd. Like I said before it is a sport versus luxury that just doesn't mix in that manner for me. $hit, get what you like who cares about resale or anyone on here, or the "market"...order up with salt and extra butter and black wheels!

Everyone on here has great opinions and ideas based on their experiences and where they live.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:56 PM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

If you are getting black wheels you should get gloss black as any other black really shows the brake dust. You chose the surround view but not the sport package which I think is a mistake unless you plan on swapping out the center muffler for an X-Pipe as there is nothing better than driving with the top down and the sport exhaust opened. The surround view may be nice but how often are you going to be parking your car where you will need it.

Last edited by Jerry991; 11-24-2021 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:04 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,651 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry991
If you are getting black wheels you should get gloss black as any other black really shows the brake dust.

I would think that gloss black would show brake dust much more than matte black.
Old 11-24-2021, 09:43 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,139 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
I would think that gloss black would show brake dust much more than matte black.
It does, no question, speaking from someone who's had them on several cars... also scratches very easily.

Avoid gloss black wheels. If you insist on having them, get them coated, probably seasonally.
Old 11-27-2021, 02:38 AM
drgek
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
I would skip Remote Park Assist. It seems very gimmicky. It might be fun to play with and show your friends, but are you ever planning on parking anywhere so tight that you need RPA?
I took delivery of my C2S Cab with Park Assist two weeks ago, but my dealer tells me Porsche has not operationalized it yet through the Porsche Connect app. Anybody know differently?

Last edited by drgek; 11-27-2021 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Error
Old 11-27-2021, 03:23 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 757 Likes on 328 Posts

I did not look at the replies . I kept most of your general theme. I fixed it .http://www.porsche-code.com/PNVTWBE4
Old 11-27-2021, 03:33 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 757 Likes on 328 Posts

I was as glad as (I hope) all you were to see chrome wheels die out; but to my eyes the silver wheels just aren’t that much better. Maybe it’s just the online simulator? I’ll go look at them myself, but I’m not a fan based on photos…

It seems like such a waste to me. With the top down and the exhaust up; who cares what’s on the radio? Moreover, isn’t Bose known for being much better at marketing than music fidelity?

Also, why do you care about the plds? If it was true matrix, then I would totally get it… but it seems just to be a fancy name for auto high beams?

I’m more curious about the 3D surround view… can anyone speak to it? Does it work well or is it fussy to use?

FAL : How can I know if I need it?

I’ve had vettes for the last two decades and scraped on EVERYTHING. 911 is several inches higher, which is good. I’ll be living in Dallas, and notice the roads are pretty uneven. I’m guessing I’ll be needing it… but is there a good way to measure and know for sure?

1) I like black wheels . I prefer satin black over JBM . In fact any GTS has satin black center locks or 5 bolt . Keep them .. they match the top.

2) I put it mostly because the bundled package usually creates a value . Its not necessary but is a nice to have .

3) Agree . Park assist is ridiculous .

4) On a base car no way . I don't even have it on my GTS but if you live in San Francisco you may need it on a GTS . The base car compared to other trims is like an SUV (almost) . You'll be fine. I dumped FAL as well as power steering plus . My dealership puts power steering plus on EVERY lot car . Its never been a deal breaker but I have ordered identical cars without it . It is absolutely useless even in a Macan (which weighs 2 tons) .

Personally I think you did well on your own .

Last edited by yrralis1; 11-27-2021 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-27-2021, 03:22 PM
LSM111
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Iamlost;[url=tel:17803655
17803655[/url]]Well, I’m officially on the waiting list!!

I have some time to lock in my build, but here is what I like so far:

PNAGKDE6
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNAGKDE6

Thoughts?

I like the black wheels but would go with high gloss black wheels instead of metallic which is not as bright and shiny.

i would get PASM, dump the front axle lift, power steering plus, remote park assist, innodrive
Old 11-27-2021, 04:16 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 225 Posts

I’m not a fan of black wheels but if you like them, keep them. I will say that with all of the black, the chalk interior looks out of place to me.

I can’t see the rationale for Innodrive, and ALK is annoying.

Remote park might be cool but if you’re trying to keep to a price range, I can think of other features more useful.

FAL is only necessary if you have steep driveways to navigate.

Premium pkg is good value. Get the PPkg.

The 992 Bose is an improvement over the 991.2 Bose. Get the Bose.

ACC is useful if you get stuck in a lot of traffic.

LCA isn’t expensive in the scheme of things and is a handy second alert.

I’d do 14 ways over 4 ways. Test drives are your best bet. Failing that, ask your SA if there are trims available you can at least sit in.

I would add Sport Exhaust. You’re getting a Cab. Why not maximize that flat six sound?

Old 11-27-2021, 05:34 PM
undersky2
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Agree with most people so far: FAL is not needed unless you have sports front fascia. Also do not get 3D. Surround is sufficient. Wheels color is personal—do what you want. I don’t care for Bose or light upgrade. Both not worth it. I had them in my previous cars. The cornering ability of light is something I never miss. Do you drive a lot of country road without light at night? Also the base sound is fine. The car is loud so whatever audio u get is gonna get ruined. I also don’t care for the memory seats because I am the only driver, and I like the ability to open the swayback quickly instead of moving it slowly with a button.

Quick Reply: My First Porsche - What do you think of my build?