Sponsored by:

992 Targa 4S MANUAL question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 11:14 AM
Dmw5772
AutoX

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 992 Targa 4S MANUAL question

Have a question for you all that are wildly more intelligent than I. I am taking delivery of a MANUAL targa 4S next week. Currently have a 992S with PDK and love it. Purchased another home so waited for an allocation so we have one at both homes.

My question is, with the manual, what does sport or sport plus mode actually do? I understand with the PDK it changes the gear ratios and shift points, stiffens suspension and such but with a manual, what actually happens when I put it into sport or sport plus mode since I (driver) have full control of shift points, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-22-2021, 11:36 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,740 Likes on 776 Posts

DMW,

Similar to the PDK, firmer settings, more aggressive mapping in response, rev matching is enabled in sport and sport+. Of course you are in control of shift points, but you will notice more aggressive response, similar to what PDK will give you.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:45 AM
o4co
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

In addition to above, I think I read somewhere that the max angle of rear spoiler is greater with sport plus than sport, auto start stop is not active in either, PSE is also active in both
Old 11-22-2021, 12:32 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,534 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
DMW,

Similar to the PDK, firmer settings, more aggressive mapping in response, rev matching is enabled in sport and sport+. Of course you are in control of shift points, but you will notice more aggressive response, similar to what PDK will give you.
This. Really the only difference you'll find is the transmission related aspects, as you say. Everything else is the same.
The following users liked this post:
Dmw5772 (11-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 12:38 PM
Dmw5772
AutoX

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
DMW,

very helpful, figured firmer settings but the response mapping and rev matching seem to really be the added benefit.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:11 PM
tnf552
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

I also notice a subtle different in the tension in shifter when making shifts between standard vs Sport(and Sport+). Shifter is ever so slightly softer to place into gear in standard.

Also standard does not do rev matching when you downshift, as others have mentioned.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:46 AM
manual_laborer
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 50 Posts

Throttle response is very different - much more sensitive in Sport, a little less so in Sport+ (there is another thread on here discussing this point, some have said it’s to make throttle response more linear for track in Sport+)

Both Sport & Sport+ turn on PSE and rev matching. Sport+ turns on more aggressive damping settings.

Finally, and I haven’t seen this elsewhere so can’t confirm if true, but I’ve noticed Sport+ also keeps my oil temps down Vs sport which lets the oil run a bit warmer, which I presume has something to do with how it’s managing the active aero in the front fascia (I have the standard front, not the sport front fascia)
Old 11-24-2021, 07:13 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,135 Likes on 684 Posts

[QUOTE=manual_laborer;17804542
Finally, and I haven’t seen this elsewhere so can’t confirm if true, but I’ve noticed Sport+ also keeps my oil temps down Vs sport which lets the oil run a bit warmer, which I presume has something to do with how it’s managing the active aero in the front fascia (I have the standard front, not the sport front fascia)[/QUOTE]

This was definitely the case in my 991.2.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:11 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,534 Posts

Originally Posted by manual_laborer
Throttle response is very different - much more sensitive in Sport, a little less so in Sport+ (there is another thread on here discussing this point, some have said it’s to make throttle response more linear for track in Sport+)

Both Sport & Sport+ turn on PSE and rev matching. Sport+ turns on more aggressive damping settings.

Finally, and I haven’t seen this elsewhere so can’t confirm if true, but I’ve noticed Sport+ also keeps my oil temps down Vs sport which lets the oil run a bit warmer, which I presume has something to do with how it’s managing the active aero in the front fascia (I have the standard front, not the sport front fascia)
The engine runs cooler in sport and sport +, compared to normal. In sport/sport+ the coolant temp. is 185° F./85° C., in normal it's 221° F./105° C.. The reason is to maximise economy in normal, optimise performance in sport/sport+.

In both modes the dash water temp shows 194° F. (90° C) so as not to alarm people. The oil temp though always reads actual temp. which is why it varies even if the water temp. seems stable.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:30 PM
tnf552
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, I noticed in 991.2 the engine runs cooler in Sport/Sport+ compared to normal mode.

Quick Reply: 992 Targa 4S MANUAL question