Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Right of Refusal

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 09:11 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,029 Likes on 589 Posts

I think this practice is an intimidation tactic that will work on some people ..
I think dealers are better off saying : we appreciate that you give us a shot first when you decide to sell your car .
irrespective of all the above . This will be a mute point in normal market conditions when there are plenty of cars to go around .
I move cars frequently , and had several instances when dealers declined to offer anything on a car because they had plenty of inventory , and unless the current model of car selling changes, these times will be back.
Old 11-10-2021, 02:17 PM
911Castle
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 142 Posts

Any chance we could look at this the other way around. Come up with the price you want and take it straight to the dealer. If they decline then you're free and clear to the first person that offers you that price or one dollar more. Either way it should net out OK for the seller and eliminate so-called 72 hour waiting. In this particular scenario should they except your offer, it becomes a very simple transaction. Also keep in mind in the dealership world anything that brings you across the curb and onto the lot or in the store is a win for them. It's an opportunity for them to do more business and is a driving factor for many of their decisions. Like all businesses I can't fault them for that.

Quick Reply: First Right of Refusal