Sponsored by:

Problems Not Driving The 992?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 05:44 AM
Raybold7
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Problems Not Driving The 992?

I need some feedback preferably from owners with a garage princess. My lock date is fast approaching and my plan was to put the new car in a carcoon in the garage, on trickle charge, only bringing her out when the day and roads are dry and sun is shining. So in the UK, 3 days per year

Last night I read a post about mice chewing wiring looms etc which made me think. If I do have a garage princess, am I asking for things to go wrong like mechanical trouble? I get that cars are meant to be driven, and with lockdown I have experienced the detriment of not driving. However, a brand new Porsche should be able to cope surely? If the feedback is to get it out and drive it, then that may change my mind on colour and wheels although I still wouldn't use her as my daily.

What are your thoughts?
The following users liked this post:
svkarl (11-10-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 05:55 AM
992uk
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

From a fellow Brit (it's raining outside) I presume you have had nice cars parked up in your garage before? If so how has your approach worked? I've got a 992 on order too and it is to be mainly a summer car but it will get used in the winter, just not a lot. My current, exit lounge, nice car gets untaxed, tyres over inflated, EPB off and trickle charger on for three months of the year and turned over and run around the drive twice during this period. I've not had a problem with this and doubt you would need a carcoon.

Which model are you getting?
Old 10-18-2021, 06:10 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 759 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Raybold7
I need some feedback preferably from owners with a garage princess. My lock date is fast approaching and my plan was to put the new car in a carcoon in the garage, on trickle charge, only bringing her out when the day and roads are dry and sun is shining. So in the UK, 3 days per year

Last night I read a post about mice chewing wiring looms etc which made me think. If I do have a garage princess, am I asking for things to go wrong like mechanical trouble? I get that cars are meant to be driven, and with lockdown I have experienced the detriment of not driving. However, a brand new Porsche should be able to cope surely? If the feedback is to get it out and drive it, then that may change my mind on colour and wheels although I still wouldn't use her as my daily.

What are your thoughts?
I have a 14 year old garage queen 911 hooked to a charger . Its sporadic when I drive it and its usually when my other 911 is either in service ar at detailer . I let sit once for 8 months. I don't worry about mice . I like cats !! I have them indoors as well as outside. The mice must know . All kidding aside get the car , seal all ports of entry and keep it charged . If a mouse cant get in the garage it cant get into your car . Dont do anything silly like put poison . Beyond the cruelty some kid chasing a ball or a neighbors pet could run onto your property and then its tragic . Just take care of the car the best you can and tihngs ought to work out . Maybe you'll end up with more than 3 days . Good luck !
Old 10-18-2021, 06:12 AM
Raybold7
Advanced

Originally Posted by 992uk
From a fellow Brit (it's raining outside) I presume you have had nice cars parked up in your garage before? If so how has your approach worked? I've got a 992 on order too and it is to be mainly a summer car but it will get used in the winter, just not a lot. My current, exit lounge, nice car gets untaxed, tyres over inflated, EPB off and trickle charger on for three months of the year and turned over and run around the drive twice during this period. I've not had a problem with this and doubt you would need a carcoon.

Which model are you getting?
I had a 997 which was much the same and she was absolutely fine. Never missed a heartbeat that one. I've ordered a C2S for March next year. Still can't decide on the colour! It's either AG or Dolomite now. I will bring her out occasionally but I'd be terrified of leaving her anywhere for some jealous type to damage her. I bought a brand new BMW many moons ago as my daily and week 2 on Sainsburys car park I literally watched a family walk past me, they were obviously jealous of the new car, and they just slammed their trolley into the back door. So because I'm so OCD and like to keep things pristine, I thought I'd only use her when I drive her out and back in again.

We're rural so I have had mice in the garage, hence me buying a carcoon and lots of traps! But I would have thought the engine is bullet proof and would be happy with the occasion start?
Old 10-18-2021, 06:22 AM
992uk
Intermediate

I had a 997 which was much the same and she was absolutely fine. Never missed a heartbeat that one. I've ordered a C2S for March next year. Still can't decide on the colour! It's either AG or Dolomite now. I will bring her out occasionally but I'd be terrified of leaving her anywhere for some jealous type to damage her. I bought a brand new BMW many moons ago as my daily and week 2 on Sainsburys car park I literally watched a family walk past me, they were obviously jealous of the new car, and they just slammed their trolley into the back door. So because I'm so OCD and like to keep things pristine, I thought I'd only use her when I drive her out and back in again.

We're rural so I have had mice in the garage, hence me buying a carcoon and lots of traps! But I would have thought the engine is bullet proof and would be happy with the occasion start?
I'm six months behind you so plenty of time to choose. AG looks interesting and is on my list but I am yet to see one yet. Is Dolomite a tad lighter than GT Silver? I'm tempted to fo loud - yellow, orange, green.

We are rural too but I've never had problems with the cars parked inside mouse wise, did have my Land Rover (parked outside) get chewed up in the past but have a cat now.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:51 AM
Raybold7
Advanced

I'm six months behind you so plenty of time to choose. AG looks interesting and is on my list but I am yet to see one yet. Is Dolomite a tad lighter than GT Silver? I'm tempted to fo loud - yellow, orange, green.

We are rural too but I've never had problems with the cars parked inside mouse wise, did have my Land Rover (parked outside) get chewed up in the past but have a cat now.
AG in the flesh is beautiful, simply stunning. There's a video on you tube called 4 shades of Aventurine or something that shows the colour off. I've only seen it in the showroom but it was light and clean.

Dolomite is like blue where GT is like brown. I saw both parked next to each other at an OPD and it was clear to see the difference.

Good for you going loud, I say do it. The road needs more colour, too much black, white, and dare i say it silver on the road. There's a feral cat who appears in the garden at night to eat food left for the beds. He knows where the vermin run and so he just sits and waits for them all night. I don't want him in my garage though!
992uk (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 06:58 AM
Raybold7
Advanced

Originally Posted by yrralis1
I have a 14 year old garage queen 911 hooked to a charger . Its sporadic when I drive it and its usually when my other 911 is either in service ar at detailer . I let sit once for 8 months. I don't worry about mice . I like cats !! I have them indoors as well as outside. The mice must know . All kidding aside get the car , seal all ports of entry and keep it charged . If a mouse cant get in the garage it cant get into your car . Dont do anything silly like put poison . Beyond the cruelty some kid chasing a ball or a neighbors pet could run onto your property and then its tragic . Just take care of the car the best you can and tihngs ought to work out . Maybe you'll end up with more than 3 days . Good luck !
Thanks! How is the car mechanically when you drive it?
Old 10-18-2021, 07:55 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 759 Likes on 330 Posts

Thanks! How is the car mechanically when you drive it?
I have never had a problem with this car . Now its true that it only has 24K miles 14 years later . I drove it an entire week recently . At first I didn't even buy a charger but two dead batteries later set me straight . its important to leave it charging when not driven and once started drive it a decent amount . Dont just go two miles on a short hop. It happens to be a modified car which is even more tempermental but no issues . Here's a pic .

992uk (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 08:30 AM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Received 858 Likes on 396 Posts

I have a BMW cabriolet that is garaged 9 months of the year. I attach a trickle charger using a timer - 2 hours a day not even 24/7. It starts up no problem and the battery is 8 years old !!!

I scatter fabric softener dryer sheets inside the car and in the engine bay - keeps rodents away.

Conversely a friend just had a wiring harness destroyed on her Toyota by rodents. The car is less than a year old and she drives it daily !!!
Old 10-18-2021, 08:59 AM
992uk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by audi4t
I have a BMW cabriolet that is garaged 9 months of the year. I attach a trickle charger using a timer - 2 hours a day not even 24/7. It starts up no problem and the battery is 8 years old !!!

I scatter fabric softener dryer sheets inside the car and in the engine bay - keeps rodents away.

Conversely a friend just had a wiring harness destroyed on her Toyota by rodents. The car is less than a year old and she drives it daily !!!
Never heard of the dryer sheets trick, thanks. My Maserati is still on its factory battery at ten years old thanks to the trickle charger.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:28 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,615 Likes on 819 Posts

I’ve been parking cars in our garage for my entire life and never have mice chewed up the wiring.

Do mice somehow like the taste of 911 wiring? What’s with this obsession about mice?
Old 10-18-2021, 01:33 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,284 Likes on 804 Posts

Never heard of the dryer sheets trick, thanks. My Maserati is still on its factory battery at ten years old thanks to the trickle charger.

I believe peppermint oil is also used as a rodent/pest deterrent.
audi4t (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 03:14 PM
Raybold7
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by Tupper
I’ve been parking cars in our garage for my entire life and never have mice chewed up the wiring.

Do mice somehow like the taste of 911 wiring? What’s with this obsession about mice?
I have no idea, some other post mentioned it and as I have caught a couple in my garage, I thought I would mention them as another reason to have a carcoon )
Old 10-18-2021, 03:15 PM
Raybold7
Advanced

I'm really interested in the mechanical side of things and potentially what if anything can go wrong. I can deal with the mice :0)
Old 10-18-2021, 04:14 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,284 Likes on 804 Posts

I'm really interested in the mechanical side of things and potentially what if anything can go wrong. I can deal with the mice :0)
Things dry out.
The following 3 users liked this post by colnagoG60:
Il CP (10-19-2021), lucycan (10-18-2021), Master Deep (10-18-2021)

Quick Reply: Problems Not Driving The 992?