Sponsored by:

Feedback on Targa GTS Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 02:37 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts
Default Feedback on Targa GTS Build

I was able to get an allocation today and my order was created. Estimated timeline from PNA is Dec lock date/Feb build date/April delivery date.

Here is the build code: http://www.porsche-code.com/PNNPMPB7. Main specs are:
  • Chalk with black top
  • Bordeaux/Black interior
  • Premium Package
  • Spyder RS wheels in Satin Black
  • Black brake calipers
  • PDCC/RWS
  • Side skirts
  • 14 way seats
  • Ventilated seats (oddly not included in the PP for the GTS)
  • Heated Sport Steering Wheel
These choices were made with a lot of information and research on Rennlist, seeing a lot of your builds and hearing and weighing a lot of your opinions. I am pretty comfortable with the build as it is but am also happy for additional thoughts/recommendations/challenges/etc to consider before my lock date. A couple specific questions/dilemmas I had (or still have):
  • Roof color: I was originally set on the red roof and thought it would offset the Chalk nicely and add a bit of style. But some of the pictures definitely show the roof as a brighter red than the Bordeaux interior - something closer to a raspberry. Without being able to see it in person, I lost my nerve on that selection and played it safer with black.
  • Remote ParkAssist: never really considered this. It seems more like a parlor trick than a useful feature. While it might be fun to show my friends once or twice, I would never park my car in a space tight enough to have any real use for it so it would have zero value to me. I am just a bit surprised that I haven't seen any discussion of this option at all.
  • Power Steering Plus: originally had it just because it was inexpensive, took it out, put it back, took it out and did that dance many times. Ultimately, I don't think I need or want the steering to be any lighter than it is without PSP.
  • FAL: this is the one I waffled on more than any others. I love the GPS feature (assuming it functions well) and that it will lift automatically every time I approach my garage, but it is not a cheap option and I probably don't want to look at the car in the garage all the time with the FAL engaged. There was a thread that posted some pictures and measurements that has the clearance with SPASM at about 6 inches. Since the Targa doesn't get the same extra drop as the other GTS cars, that should be even more for the Targa. My M5 has only about 4 inches of clearance and there really is only one hill where I even had an issue with scraping and that can be addressed by my approach angle. Add in the ability to fairly easily and cheaply replace the front lip I were to mess up and I ended deciding to pass.
  • Wheels: I really like the Spyder wheels and feel that the Satin Black will hide brake dust pretty well which offsets any additional cleaning effort - plus I will have them ceramic coated. Also I prefer not to have the centerlocks, so that cuts down the options. I really like the Carrera Classic wheel on a Chalk Targa but they are not an option on the configurator for the GTS. I have asked the SA if they would be able to order the car with the Classics if I decided to go that route. I would think they might since the Classic is a less expensive wheel option on the Targa 4S. Am I making a mistake "downgrading" the wheel to a non-GTS wheel? Another - but more expensive - alternative would be to buy a set of the Classics for my summer tires and use the Spyders for the winter rubber. But I have pretty much decided that I would prefer to remount and balance tires each season instead of dealing with 2 sets of wheels like a do now. And, like I said, expensive.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:09 AM
breny4104
Burning Brakes

Received 509 Likes on 312 Posts

Build looks solid to me with no unusual options. You'll probably get the usual comment about getting the 18way seats, etc... all user preferences. Look at some of the interior color options that others will surely provide.

Power steering plus - I got it and apparently you can't add it at the dealer any more. I don't think you'll regret not having it.
Remote Park assist - I did not get it. But it could be useful in GETTING OUT of a tight situation that another driver put you in. Probably the only benefit and not worth it unless you just want the tech.
FAL - could be good option for you. I don't have it.

Last edited by breny4104; 11-03-2021 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:22 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by breny4104
Build looks solid to me with no unusual options. You'll probably get the usual comment about getting the 18way seats, etc... all user preferences. Look at some of the interior color options that others will surely provide.

Power steering plus - I got it and apparently you can't add it at the dealer any more. I don't think you'll regret not having it.
Remote Park assist - I did not get it. But it could be useful in GETTING OUT of a tight situation that another driver put you in. Probably the only benefit and not worth it unless you just want the tech.
FAL - could be good option for you. I don't have it.
I am definitely not set on the 14 way seats. Based on what I have read here and my build (fairly broad in the back and shoulders), I think the 14s will be a better fit. I also like the fact that the 14s have the leather back without an upcharge. Luckily, the dealer has 2 used 992s on his lot - one with each seat. So I am going over there tomorrow before they get sold to sit in both and make a decision.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:07 PM
P9RSR
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd probably skip pdcc but add RAS by itself if that's an option on the targa not sure
The following users liked this post:
Scott P (11-03-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 06:36 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by P9RSR
I'd probably skip pdcc but add RAS by itself if that's an option on the targa not sure
What is your rationale behind skipping PDCC? To be honest, I only added RAS because you are forced to if you select PDCC and then, after a lot of reading decided I wanted it anyway. I was opting for PDCC on the understanding that it would actually make the ride a bit more compliant and less harsh on bad roads - particularly with the increased weight and COG of the Targa.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:27 PM
P9RSR
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
What is your rationale behind skipping PDCC? To be honest, I only added RAS because you are forced to if you select PDCC and then, after a lot of reading decided I wanted it anyway. I was opting for PDCC on the understanding that it would actually make the ride a bit more compliant and less harsh on bad roads - particularly with the increased weight and COG of the Targa.

I found this useful when speccing my car

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1180...-worth-it.html
Old 11-03-2021, 09:40 PM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 256 Posts

I would not go with the Spyder RS wheels. The GTS comes standard with forged center locks. Don't give those up for a wheel that's equipped on lots of non-GTS 911 models, that is way more common, and is not forged. The RS Spyder is great, but why get the GTS is you're taking one very big element out of the car, and one that you get zero discount for swapping. You'll regret getting a more common wheel.

Last edited by Go Bruins; 11-04-2021 at 01:57 AM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
Yojeffo (11-04-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 10:53 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by P9RSR
I found this useful when speccing my car

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1180...-worth-it.html
Thanks. Helpful. I am not optioning PDCC to get that last edge of cornering performance. Actually, a bit of the opposite as I understand it will actually make the ride less harsh on bad roads.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:57 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Go Bruins
I would not go why the Spyder RS wheels. The GTS comes standard with forged center locks. Don't give those up for a wheel that's equipped on lots of non GTS 911 models, that is way more common, and is not forged. The RS Spyder is great, but why get the GTS is you're taking one very big element out of the car, and one that you get zero discount for swapping. You'll regret getting a more common wheel.

I hear you and you make a good point. I am just not interested in a center lock wheel. I am back and forth between NY and VT all the time. I am sure I can find someone in NY that can handle the CLs, but far less comfortable that it won’t be a problem if I get a flat an rural VT. Also, my OCD will go nuts with the inevitable chips and scratches on the CL lug.

Truth be told, I am quite partial to the Carerra Classics and have asked my SA to see if I can spec with those. I would rather the wheels that appeal to me most over the ones that are less “common”.
Old 11-05-2021, 02:21 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Spent some time at the dealership today going over my build and sitting on both the 14 and 18 way seats. Fortunately, he had a pre-owned with the 14 ways and a customer car with the 18 ways. Unfortunately they were both 991.2s and not 992s - not sure how different the seats are between the 2 models. In any event, the 14 ways fit me as well or better than the 18 ways so that's the way I am gong to go on the seats. All other options were confirmed - at least for now.

Quick Reply: Feedback on Targa GTS Build