Old 11-01-2021, 10:51 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,615 Likes on 819 Posts
Default My thoughts after 7600 miles

I own a Cabriolet Carrera S, year 2020. Here are my thoughts after 7600 miles:

1. My first oil change is scheduled next week
2. I stopped using Apple Carplay after about a month because it kept disconnecting. PCM and Bluetooth is good enough for me. Never looked back
3. I use a remote garage door opener because technology often annoys me when it doesn't make my life easier VERY quickly
4. The only issue I had so far was the raised brake light which malfunctioned a few months ago, got it replaced under warranty
5. Car drives like a dream. Period. I do think about getting a tune because I"m greedy but.........haven't pulled the trigger
6. I have Soul sport cats. They help somewhat. This car is most enjoyed with the top open. It just sounds GREAT from the outside.
7. I had a buzzing sound from the rear passenger side from intense throttle. It mostly is gone now after sound deadening material was installed for free by my dealer.
8. Weird squeaky sound from front dash occurred when tire pressures were high. Deflate to 32/34, basically gone. Ain't that kinda weird?

That's all I've got. This post was sponsored by Jiffy Lube!
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (11-02-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 11:13 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper

1. My first oil change is scheduled next week
2. I stopped using Apple Carplay after about a month because it kept disconnecting. PCM and Bluetooth is good enough for me. Never looked back
3. I use a remote garage door opener because technology often annoys me when it doesn't make my life easier VERY quickly
4. The only issue I had so far was the raised brake light which malfunctioned a few months ago, got it replaced under warranty
5. Car drives like a dream. Period. I do think about getting a tune because I"m greedy but.........haven't pulled the trigger
6. I have Soul sport cats. They help somewhat. This car is most enjoyed with the top open. It just sounds GREAT from the outside.
7. I had a buzzing sound from the rear passenger side from intense throttle. It mostly is gone now after sound deadening material was installed for free by my dealer.
8. Weird squeaky sound from front dash occurred when tire pressures were high. Deflate to 32/34, basically gone. Ain't that kinda weird?

If I can ask - there did they put the sound deadening material in the rear passenger area? Did someone actually sit back there to diagnose where (exactly) the sound was coming from? I think it would be helpful for owners with sounds/rattles to start cataloguing them…?
Old 11-01-2021, 11:51 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I think it was some of the panels next to the rear speaker. I don't know for sure, as they did this work without me present. Either way, seems to have done the job as the noise is substantially reduced
Old 11-01-2021, 12:09 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

I think it was some of the panels next to the rear speaker. I don't know for sure, as they did this work without me present. Either way, seems to have done the job as the noise is substantially reduced

Thx
Old 11-01-2021, 12:30 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,829 Likes on 954 Posts

2. I luckily have not had any issues. Mine connects immediately every time and defaults to it.
3. I finally programmed my homelink and when I approach the garage it pops up on the PCM screen as an overlay, no programmed shortcut button needed (uses GPS) and I just tap the on screen name and it opens. Not sure what all the homelink fuss is about honestly as I love how it works.
5. I can't agree more, and yet I too think about a tune - likely a lower cost, less HP boost RaceChip piggyback rather than an M-Engineering ECU tune.
rob929 (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 12:42 PM
Autobacs
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
2. I luckily have not had any issues. Mine connects immediately every time and defaults to it.
3. I finally programmed my homelink and when I approach the garage it pops up on the PCM screen as an overlay, no programmed shortcut button needed (uses GPS) and I just tap the on screen name and it opens. Not sure what all the homelink fuss is about honestly as I love how it works.
5. I can't agree more, and yet I too think about a tune - likely a lower cost, less HP boost RaceChip piggyback rather than an M-Engineering ECU tune.
On #3, do you need a special option to be able to do this.....how did you do this?
Old 11-01-2021, 12:54 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,903 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Always good to see someone else’s experiences, thanks. BTW, for CarPlay I have a carlinkit (link below) in one of my other cars. Works perfectly, No idea why Porsche seem to have issues making their wireless setup work properly.

https://carlinkitcarplay.com/product...actory-carplay
Old 11-01-2021, 12:56 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Autobacs
On #3, do you need a special option to be able to do this.....how did you do this?
not that I know of. I paired my handheld remote to the system and at the end it asked or possibly just said it was marking the GPS position and did it. Now when I drive up to the garage (about 30 ft away), it pops up on the screen and I tap the name and it opens. If I want to open it from further away, I have to press the shortcut toggle, and then tap the screen. I don't have ACC, or Surround View or FAL or any option that I can think would make this possible. Maybe the Porsche Connect is doing something, but that is not an added option. I certainly don't have Innodrive or anything. And I don't believe it is related to CarPlay / iPhone.

Originally Posted by aggie57
Always good to see someone else’s experiences, thanks. BTW, for CarPlay I have a carlinkit (link below) in one of my other cars. Works perfectly, No idea why Porsche seem to have issues making their wireless setup work properly.

https://carlinkitcarplay.com/product...actory-carplay
I have one of those CarPlay2Air for my Volvo, which has wired and this makes it wireless, but I have not (knock on wood) had issues with CarPlay wireless in the 992.

Last edited by 3rdpedal; 11-01-2021 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:54 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

No. As long as you have a GPS signal where you live, you will be able to link Homelink to the GPS location/locations of your choosing.

There are many YouTube videos on how to do this. Suggest you start there? In fact, there are instruction YouTube videos on how to set/program or use just about everything in the 992, including the PCM.
Old 11-01-2021, 02:14 PM
sweylo
Advanced

Received 90 Likes on 32 Posts

The problem is not when you approach the garage, but when you first start it up in the garage, and need to wait until PCM wakes up before you can close the garage door, meanwhile the car is revving super high and scaring the neighbors' children...

Stevelev (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 02:31 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sweylo
The problem is not when you approach the garage, but when you first start it up in the garage, and need to wait until PCM wakes up before you can close the garage door, meanwhile the car is revving super high and scaring the neighbors' children...
When I start my car I wait 90 seconds for the idle to drop from 1250 rpm to 800 and allow it to warm up. I don't put the PSE on (you can't that quickly anyway) until after I get out of earshot of the neighbor's children as well as my own. Definitely import in colder weather to let the car warm up and idle down. I also don't push the engine till the temp breaks 150.
Old 11-01-2021, 02:39 PM
Autobacs
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 91 Posts

Oh, now I recall. I intentionally didn't turn on the GPS. I was nervous.
1. Car gets stolen. Say at the airport long term parking or somewhere where they know you are going to be gone for an extended period
2. You should never put in your car HOME or close to your home, exactly where you live; maybe you put it in several blocks way. The criminals steal your car and now, since they know you are going to be gone for a while, they search for your home to steal stuff out of your home too. If you don't exactly put in where you live, they might be able to tell from your Recent locations
3. They drive around the neighborhood until your Homelink comes up and they hit open and find where you live and bam, you get your house cleaned out too.

Old 11-01-2021, 03:13 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

When I start my car I wait 90 seconds for the idle to drop from 1250 rpm to 800 and allow it to warm up. I don't put the PSE on (you can't that quickly anyway) until after I get out of earshot of the neighbor's children as well as my own. Definitely import in colder weather to let the car warm up and idle down. I also don't push the engine till the temp breaks 150.
^ PSE isn't even very loud
The following 2 users liked this post by Tupper:
lucycan (11-01-2021), tez2013 (11-02-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 03:25 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 210 Posts

Oh, now I recall. I intentionally didn't turn on the GPS. I was nervous.
1. Car gets stolen. Say at the airport long term parking or somewhere where they know you are going to be gone for an extended period
2. You should never put in your car HOME or close to your home, exactly where you live; maybe you put it in several blocks way. The criminals steal your car and now, since they know you are going to be gone for a while, they search for your home to steal stuff out of your home too. If you don't exactly put in where you live, they might be able to tell from your Recent locations
3. They drive around the neighborhood until your Homelink comes up and they hit open and find where you live and bam, you get your house cleaned out too.
All fair points - I've heard these all and while I do agree to an extent, I also think it's being a little paranoid. Then again, I don't know many people who have had their cars stolen in general, so perhaps that is why... it only takes one time to learn a lesson.

I never used to lock the entry door from the garage to my house, but I'm planning to moving forward. Another thought, do you keep your insurance and/or registration in the car? I would assume both of those have your home address on them as well.
Go Bruins (11-02-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 03:30 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,903 Likes on 1,531 Posts

press the unlock button on your remote on the way to the garage. that wakes the PCM up. Takes 45-60 seconds to be fully booted from then.

You shouldn't wait till the revs drop before driving off. That does nothing to help the car, it's better to start driving.

Last edited by aggie57; 11-01-2021 at 03:32 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by aggie57:
Autobacs (11-01-2021), Bluehighways (11-02-2021), icanthelpit (11-08-2021), sapman (11-05-2021)

Quick Reply: My thoughts after 7600 miles