Sponsored by:

My thoughts after 7600 miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 04:19 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,818 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by slwong23
All fair points - I've heard these all and while I do agree to an extent, I also think it's being a little paranoid. Then again, I don't know many people who have had their cars stolen in general, so perhaps that is why... it only takes one time to learn a lesson.

I never used to lock the entry door from the garage to my house, but I'm planning to moving forward. Another thought, do you keep your insurance and/or registration in the car? I would assume both of those have your home address on them as well.
My garage is not attached to my home.
My 992 is not what I would leave at the airport.
My state gives you two copies of your registration. One for your records and one for the glovebox. The glovebox copy does not have your address.
Let's be honest. Any thief savvy enough can get into your house if you truly are someone who is worth their techspertise. And any car thief savvy enough to steal a 992 likely isn't going to your house with it to steal your stuff.

That's my take.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:16 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,681 Likes on 5,112 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
My state gives you two copies of your registration. One for your records and one for the glovebox. The glovebox copy does not have your address.
Let's be honest. Any thief savvy enough can get into your house if you truly are someone who is worth their techspertise. And any car thief savvy enough to steal a 992 likely isn't going to your house with it to steal your stuff.

That's my take.
Why not just carry a digital copy (i.e. photo) of your insurance card on your phone?

My daily driver doesn't even have a glove box ...
Old 11-01-2021, 05:25 PM
Autobacs
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal

That's my take.

Good points 3rdpedal and slwong23.

I too lock the door going into the house from the garage. I think what they do is they open the garage door, come with a van, pull into the garage and then close the garage door. Then they have all the time they need to break into the house with the garage door closed. This is why I also have a camera in my garage. True, if they really want to get to your stuff they will.....it's just when you drive a 911, they may take higher levels of risk knowing that if you can afford a 911, you probably have multiple Rolex's etc. and lots of cash in a safe.

With the van and garage closed, they take their time and clean you out.

I think I'm going to blank out my address on my registration now. California has this displayed in your car version.

Finally, with just the Homelink on a diamond button, it's not obvious to a non Porsche owner what that button is for.

Last edited by Autobacs; 11-01-2021 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:33 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by sweylo
The problem is not when you approach the garage, but when you first start it up in the garage, and need to wait until PCM wakes up before you can close the garage door, meanwhile the car is revving super high and scaring the neighbors' children...
Priceless.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:45 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Autobacs
Oh, now I recall. I intentionally didn't turn on the GPS. I was nervous.
1. Car gets stolen. Say at the airport long term parking or somewhere where they know you are going to be gone for an extended period
2. You should never put in your car HOME or close to your home, exactly where you live; maybe you put it in several blocks way. The criminals steal your car and now, since they know you are going to be gone for a while, they search for your home to steal stuff out of your home too. If you don't exactly put in where you live, they might be able to tell from your Recent locations
3. They drive around the neighborhood until your Homelink comes up and they hit open and find where you live and bam, you get your house cleaned out too.
Most newer garage door openers now have a feature where you can disable the remote/wireless link that opens the garage door. I disable when away on a trip/vacation, and when I arrive home, I punch in my code on the keypad to open the door. Problem solved….although it does mean that the few times I open my garage door using the keypad, I actually have to get out of the car. But I manage. 🥸

But IMO, the scenario you describe is very unlikely…and a good alarm system will help calm those fears. A bigger concern would be those extra cars one has that are parked in the driveway, or on the street…. that still use the garage door opener supplied by the manufacturer. Most older cars rely on the opener,…and my neighbor found out the hard way when someone broke into his (older) car and opened his garage door using the opener on the driver visor.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 11-01-2021 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:41 PM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

I've always had my garage doors wired on its own circuit to with a simple on/off switch which I turn off whenever leaving for a trip.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:45 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,818 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by ohniner
I've always had my garage doors wired on its own circuit to with a simple on/off switch which I turn off whenever leaving for a trip.
You could always plug the garage door openers into a smart switch and power them on and off via that/smartphone. Once you turned the switch back on and they reconnected, the homelink would work again.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:52 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by ohniner
Curious…if you turn the power off to the garage door opener, I assume you have to get into your house through another door, and then turn on the switch to provide power to the opener to get into the garage? While that works, it seems like a burden?

The newer garage door openers provide the option to disable remote opening, but still allow the owner to access the garage by putting in the 4-digit pin on the remote keypad. For those that still don’t trust the pad access method (like my 100 yo dad), you can ether remove the keypad or remove the battery?
Old 11-01-2021, 10:36 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

My daily driver doesn't even have a glove box ...
LOVE IT
Old 11-08-2021, 10:30 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 817 Posts

Yesterday it was sunny, nearly 70 degrees, and with my staying with summer tires I'm milking every bit of > 40 F weather that I can this season.

Went for a very spirited joyride with the top down and enjoyed every second of it, I love the howl of the flat six and the high speeds that come with it.

Took my son afterward to the park and shot this pic while he was playing, yeah it's low quality but what the heck:

I'm just under 7800 miles. My thoughts are: When can I take this out again for a another run?
Old 11-08-2021, 10:41 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Tupper
Yesterday it was sunny, nearly 70 degrees, and with my staying with summer tires I'm milking every bit of > 40 F weather that I can this season.

Went for a very spirited joyride with the top down and enjoyed every second of it, I love the howl of the flat six and the high speeds that come with it.

Took my son afterward to the park and shot this pic while he was playing, yeah it's low quality but what the heck:

I'm just under 7800 miles. My thoughts are: When can I take this out again for a another run?

My thoughts, exactly.

Has your local PCA chapter done any Fall Tours? I’ve been on two this year and they have been fabulous. Nothing like driving “briskly” through the country side with a group of 30-40 other Porsche’s of various make and vintage. Love the reaction from the people along the way, and in small towns…waving and honking at us as we streak by. If you haven’t tried, highly recommend you do.
The following users liked this post:
Tupper (11-08-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 10:44 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by sweylo
meanwhile the car is revving super high and scaring the neighbors' children...
Really are you serious?
Old 11-08-2021, 10:49 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
My thoughts, exactly.

Has your local PCA chapter done any Fall Tours? I’ve been on two this year and they have been fabulous. Nothing like driving “briskly” through the country side with a group of 30-40 other Porsche’s of various make and vintage. Love the reaction from the people along the way, and in small towns…waving and honking at us as we streak by. If you haven’t tried, highly recommend you do.
^ Great question. I have thought a lot about doing this. My biggest issue with the PCA chapter tours is that many of them are multi day tours, which I would LOVE to do. However, with kids at home I (and my wife) just aren't in a position to go on such excursions.

When I look at pics of the people on such tours for the local chapter, majority of them look like they are much older and I can't help but wonder if many of them either don't have kids or their kids are already grown up and out of the house.
Old 11-08-2021, 11:03 AM
Autobacs
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts

I own a Cabriolet Carrera S, year 2020. Here are my thoughts after 7600 miles:

1. My first oil change is scheduled next week
2. I stopped using Apple Carplay after about a month because it kept disconnecting. PCM and Bluetooth is good enough for me. Never looked back
3. I use a remote garage door opener because technology often annoys me when it doesn't make my life easier VERY quickly
4. The only issue I had so far was the raised brake light which malfunctioned a few months ago, got it replaced under warranty
5. Car drives like a dream. Period. I do think about getting a tune because I"m greedy but.........haven't pulled the trigger
6. I have Soul sport cats. They help somewhat. This car is most enjoyed with the top open. It just sounds GREAT from the outside.
7. I had a buzzing sound from the rear passenger side from intense throttle. It mostly is gone now after sound deadening material was installed for free by my dealer.
8. Weird squeaky sound from front dash occurred when tire pressures were high. Deflate to 32/34, basically gone. Ain't that kinda weird?

That's all I've got. This post was sponsored by Jiffy Lube!
#8 there is a thread here that talks about the gas tank in the frunk just behind the dash being loose and when the tank isn’t quite full it knocks
Old 11-08-2021, 11:04 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

^ Great question. I have thought a lot about doing this. My biggest issue with the PCA chapter tours is that many of them are multi day tours, which I would LOVE to do. However, with kids at home I (and my wife) just aren't in a position to go on such excursions.

When I look at pics of the people on such tours for the local chapter, majority of them look like they are much older and I can't help but wonder if many of them either don't have kids or their kids are already grown up and out of the house.
I can’t speak to your local chapter, but I will say in the first tour I went on, I would guess the average age of attendees was older than in the 2nd tour. But on a average, you are correct, it is an older, probably retired, or nearing retirement crowd….with a few 40-50’s corporate execs thrown in. With but a few exceptions, everyone in both tours had been Porsche owners for decades…so they knew how to drive fast (regardless of their age) and they knew their Porsche’s. For me, it was great fun to meet up with a bunch of like minded individuals…and was a learning exercise.

As far as your local tours…there is nothing that prohibits you from leaving the tour early, if you need to leave after say, one day? In fact, and depending on the difficulty of the rout taken, one day is more than enough for most people. My first tour was in the hilly, back roads of W. Virginia. That started at 10AM and concluded around 4pm. I was thoroughly spent by the end of the day, and my wife decided to go shopping at a cute little town at the half way point (she had enough of getting thrown around in the car, haha). Leave the kids with a relative or baby sitter, and you and the Mrs (or a buddy) opt to go for just one day. If you love driving your new Porsche, you won’t be disappointed.

Oh, one final note - If I had been driving any of these roads by myself, it would have been at much slower speeds…but being part of a “pack”, you will find yourself driving more aggressively than you might drive on your own.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 11-08-2021 at 11:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Tupper (11-08-2021)

Quick Reply: My thoughts after 7600 miles