Sponsored by:

Driver and Passenger BOSE Speakers Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2021 | 12:08 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Driver and Passenger BOSE Speakers Replaced

A few weeks ago, I noticed that the driver's door speaker started doing some resonance/rattle nonsense. Then, the passenger speaker developed the same issue. Despite my car passing the service bulletin audio test a year or so ago, both the driver and passenger door speakers had to be replaced at my 30k mile service. Fortunately, both were replaced under warranty.

My dealer has replaced enough of these BOSE speakers that they now keep a stock of the speakers on hand. It's apparently a pretty common warranty issue. While there are cars that had the defect at delivery, it's apparently possible to develop the issue over time as well. The replacement speakers going in are of the same design. Fingers-crossed that we're just dealing with a quality control issue here and not a design defect.

To be clear, this isn't a reason to skip the BOSE -- it's far superior to the base audio and it also took nearly 30k miles for me to develop the issue. I just wanted to give folks a heads up that it's something to keep an eye on even if your car previously passed the speaker audio test. 👍

Last edited by detansinn; 10-30-2021 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Grammar errors, because I am tired.
The following 4 users liked this post by detansinn:
Autobacs (10-30-2021), mikey94025 (10-30-2021), Scott P (10-31-2021), vg247 (10-06-2023)
Old 10-30-2021 | 12:15 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn
A few weeks ago, I had noticed that the driver's door speaker doing some resonance/rattle nonsense. Then, the passenger speaker developed the same issue. Despite my car passing the service bulletin audio test a year or so ago, both the driver and passenger door speakers had to be replaced at my 30k mile service. Fortunately, both were replaced under warranty.

My dealer has replaced enough of these BOSE speakers that they now keep a stock of the speakers on hand. It's apparently a pretty common warranty issue. While there are cars that had the defect at delivery, it's apparently possible to develop the issue over time as well. The replacement speakers going in are of the same design. Fingers-crossed that we're just dealing with a quality control issue here and not a design defect.

To be clear, this isn't a reason to skip the BOSE -- it's far superior to the base audio and it also took nearly 30k miles for me to develop the issue. I just wanted to give folks a heads up that it's something to keep an eye on even if your car previously passed the speaker audio test. 👍
Had my passenger side speaker replaced. I thought the rattle was some slight thing - it was a horrendous sound and made the stereo completely unlistenable.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (10-30-2021)
Old 10-30-2021 | 02:13 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
Had my passenger side speaker replaced. I thought the rattle was some slight thing - it was a horrendous sound and made the stereo completely unlistenable.
Yes, the word “rattle” undersells the awfulness of it.
Old 10-30-2021 | 02:17 PM
kpblade
Racer

Yes, the word “rattle” undersells the awfulness of it.
Just curious, did they have to replace the woofer or the midrange speakers, or both?
Old 10-30-2021 | 05:33 PM
kgs365
Racer

I had the same issue in my Cayenne ...it was like a dead speaker
Old 10-30-2021 | 08:15 PM
Greentree
Intermediate

I had the same issue on the passenger side of my 992 Carrera S. The dealer replaced the speaker. I noticed the driver's side rattling occasionally during a trip to Arizona, but then it sort of disappeared. It hasn't rattled since although I haven't really exercised it either. Find a hip-hop station with heavy bass 'booooms' playing the accompaniment. That will really flush out a rattling speaker.
The following 3 users liked this post by Greentree:
detansinn (10-30-2021), surquhar (10-30-2021), vg247 (10-07-2023)
Old 10-30-2021 | 08:55 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greentree
I had the same issue on the passenger side of my 992 Carrera S. The dealer replaced the speaker. I noticed the driver's side rattling occasionally during a trip to Arizona, but then it sort of disappeared. It hasn't rattled since although I haven't really exercised it either. Find a hip-hop station with heavy bass 'booooms' playing the accompaniment. That will really flush out a rattling speaker.
Mine too went away, then came back with a vengeance.
surquhar (10-30-2021)
Old 10-30-2021 | 09:00 PM
surquhar
Racer

Same with mine. I’m thinking of just getting some aftermarket speakers in there and be done with it.
Old 10-30-2021 | 09:10 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by surquhar
Same with mine. I’m thinking of just getting some aftermarket speakers in there and be done with it.
That’s my post warranty plan.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
surquhar (10-30-2021), vg247 (10-10-2023)
Old 10-31-2021 | 03:09 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Is it an issue w/ the speakers or is it due to door panel rattling against something inside? My car has Bose and I have had a rattling noise that comes mainly from the driver's door when I play music with certain types of bass. The very low bass is not an issue but certain types of hip hop with harder hitting bass causes major rattling. When I push against the door panel and hold it, the rattling goes away, which makes me think it's a door panel insulation issue rather than a defective Bose speaker issue.

Curious to know if any of you with the rattle tried pushing against the door panel and if that affected the rattle.

I'm not thrilled about having a new car get disassembled and was thinking of dynamatting the doors myself, unless there's actually something defective with these speakers that need to be sorted out by the dealer.
Old 10-31-2021 | 04:50 AM
rouxeny
Pro

Disappointing that the speakers are replaced with the same thing. Seems like it would be a matter of time before the rattle returns?
Old 10-31-2021 | 09:27 AM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

There is a history of broken door panel assembly clips. These clips are a poor design and taking a door panel off and on can result in more clips failing. Let the dealers take the risk.
Old 10-31-2021 | 12:43 PM
Pak992
Rennlist Member

I had a slight rattle on the passenger side and the dealer replaced the speaker. The rattle is back again and they have ordered two new door panels.
Old 10-31-2021 | 12:44 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Is it an issue w/ the speakers or is it due to door panel rattling against something inside? My car has Bose and I have had a rattling noise that comes mainly from the driver's door when I play music with certain types of bass. The very low bass is not an issue but certain types of hip hop with harder hitting bass causes major rattling. When I push against the door panel and hold it, the rattling goes away, which makes me think it's a door panel insulation issue rather than a defective Bose speaker issue.

Curious to know if any of you with the rattle tried pushing against the door panel and if that affected the rattle.

I'm not thrilled about having a new car get disassembled and was thinking of dynamatting the doors myself, unless there's actually something defective with these speakers that need to be sorted out by the dealer.
It is the speaker assembly itself. The “rattle” sounds more like a blown speaker. Your symptoms are early onset of it.

Cars are meant to be taken apart and serviceable. No great shakes. Given how much of a modern car simply snaps together, I keep a bunch of replacement clips on hand.
AlterZgo (10-31-2021)
Old 10-07-2023 | 04:42 AM
vg247
Pro

A few weeks ago, I noticed that the driver's door speaker started doing some resonance/rattle nonsense. Then, the passenger speaker developed the same issue. Despite my car passing the service bulletin audio test a year or so ago, both the driver and passenger door speakers had to be replaced at my 30k mile service. Fortunately, both were replaced under warranty.

These are the same issues my Bose speakers re starting to exhibit..May I ask how your dealer diagnosed and decided speaker replacement was necessary? I’m noticing this mainly on the two front speakers, many thanks for the info.
detansinn (10-07-2023)

Quick Reply: Driver and Passenger BOSE Speakers Replaced