Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the right color for the car the best color for you ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2021, 03:37 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 441 Posts

I seriously hope I never have a silver car again. Had one, I kept thinking it was never painted and left primed.

What does that say about me? I think it means I don't like silver cars. Not a huge fan of white either.....

Old 10-29-2021, 03:41 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

I couldn't decide

So i went pts

Superior red metallic

Targa 4s

Interior heritage in black

One of my builds was chalk exterior w agave interior..ive seen this in person it is stunning

But after months of trying pts i went that way

Last edited by Izzone; 10-29-2021 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:31 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
I couldn't decide

So i went pts

Superior red metallic

Targa 4s

Interior heritage in black

One of my builds was chalk exterior w agave interior..ive seen this in person it is stunning

But after months of trying pts i went that way
Nice. SRM should be a good color for a Targa.
Old 10-30-2021, 04:58 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 759 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
I seriously hope I never have a silver car again. Had one, I kept thinking it was never painted and left primed.

What does that say about me? I think it means I don't like silver cars. Not a huge fan of white either.....

Silver is a tricky color . The description you gave above was somewhat how I felt with the rhodium car but not with the Polar 993 Turbo . So I looked today at used car ads for the 992 and targeted both white and silver in the sun with Miami landscape . Man its close !!!!! I think both look amazing !!!
Old 10-30-2021, 07:20 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slwong23
Color is such a personal and subjective choice, what one may think is the perfect color for a specific car, the next person will likely see and feel something completely different. The outside environment, what clothes I wear, etc, have no bearing on my color choice of a car. I also don't buy into the notion that there is a right or wrong color for car because again, that is someone's opinion. So, to answer your questions in the title of the thread, the right color for the car normally ends up also being the right color for me.
Thats easy because you choose white !! It goes with everything a person wears or any complexion . It fits in any sunny state because its reflective .
Try wearing a red shirt with a red car . It's hideous. Lok this dolomite video. Its what killed it for the color which was my original build. First the car in the bright sun looks bland and awful . Some might say its poor filming angle and such but it went right off my build. Even worse is look the how the clothes of the reviewer combine with the color . Even a simple black T shirt would have worked but faded on faded was all it took , It never made its way back after I saw this .
Old 10-30-2021, 09:05 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 760 Posts

I have owned many different colors of Pcars with black, artic silver, guards red, white and agate grey being just some of them. I am a SW Florida guy, lots of green and beautiful color here too and any of those colors listed plus several more would all look great in this environment. But my GT Silver TTS just fits perfectly with every background. Every curve just shows perfectly. Still can’t park it and walk away without turning back for a look after 6 years of ownership.

But color has to touch your like button especially if you plan on keeping a while. Good luck.

Last edited by Penn4S; 10-30-2021 at 09:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
yrralis1 (10-30-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 09:22 AM
Raybold7
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Aventurine all day long. I was interested in crayon but having seen that in the flesh, Aventurine blows it away. I saw GT and Dolomite in pictures and loved them both. Then I saw 2 x 992's side by side, 1 x GT and 1 x Dolomite and I was underwhelmed to say the least.

It's your choice, it's what you like. I like black because it makes the car uniform but there's no way I'm going to be happy with it not looking clean permanently. I'm too OCD to have it dirty which would mean constant washing.

Crayon was my first choice and Aventurine my second. Seeing both, there is no competition in my eyes. That's what is important, my eyes, and for you, it's your eyes.

Good luck.
Old 10-30-2021, 10:09 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Raybold7
Aventurine all day long. I was interested in crayon but having seen that in the flesh, Aventurine blows it away. I saw GT and Dolomite in pictures and loved them both. Then I saw 2 x 992's side by side, 1 x GT and 1 x Dolomite and I was underwhelmed to say the least.

It's your choice, it's what you like. I like black because it makes the car uniform but there's no way I'm going to be happy with it not looking clean permanently. I'm too OCD to have it dirty which would mean constant washing.

Crayon was my first choice and Aventurine my second. Seeing both, there is no competition in my eyes. That's what is important, my eyes, and for you, it's your eyes.

Good luck.
Amazing how we see the colors so differently . Crayon (called Chalk in the US for some reason) was the only color that never was even considered . On the Macan Forum a lot of women love the color and I can see it as a them but not on a 911 GTS . Others colors went off the list fast but this one never made it . Aventurine was considered but never made it to an actual build .
Old 10-30-2021, 10:14 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Penn4S
I But my GT Silver TTS just fits perfectly with every background. Every curve just shows perfectly. Still can’t park it and walk away without turning back for a look after 6 years of ownership.
Gt is on my final build . It definitely pushes my button . I just wish I was sure that it fits every category . Its such an expensive car with shortages and at MSRP that there's no recourse .
Old 10-30-2021, 10:21 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by doug_999

I considered blue but two things killed gentian . I can't handle the purple hue . I don't want to paint calipers and if I went steel I feel any red is Superman colors . Yellow ceramic is what I am buying but now its more expensive and committed to the purple risk . I also like black wheels but not with gentian . I wish Gentian looked like this !!! My friend is getting this ! Note .. the absence of purple .
Old 10-31-2021, 10:46 PM
Kurac
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Thats easy because you choose white !! It goes with everything a person wears or any complexion . It fits in any sunny state because its reflective .
Try wearing a red shirt with a red car . It's hideous. Lok this dolomite video. Its what killed it for the color which was my original build. First the car in the bright sun looks bland and awful . Some might say its poor filming angle and such but it went right off my build. Even worse is look the how the clothes of the reviewer combine with the color . Even a simple black T shirt would have worked but faded on faded was all it took , It never made its way back after I saw this .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeUCd2KTFck
Something is wrong with that video. I have Dolomite and it doesn’t look like that in the sun.
As other posters mentioned, the interior color is just as important as the exterior and it’s where you spend all the time when driving. The problem with GT Silver is what interior do you get that makes it interesting in a car this expensive and stilll look good? Truffle looks great but it doesn’t appear to be the best combo with a silver in my eyes, something seems off. Black would be safest but it’s pretty boring in a car this expensive.
Old 10-31-2021, 11:46 PM
Gables
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurac
Something is wrong with that video. I have Dolomite and it doesn’t look like that in the sun.
As other posters mentioned, the interior color is just as important as the exterior and it’s where you spend all the time when driving. The problem with GT Silver is what interior do you get that makes it interesting in a car this expensive and stilll look good? Truffle looks great but it doesn’t appear to be the best combo with a silver in my eyes, something seems off. Black would be safest but it’s pretty boring in a car this expensive.
Have you considered black/Bordeaux?
Old 11-01-2021, 07:59 AM
Kurac
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Gables
Have you considered black/Bordeaux?
That would be better as it gives more contrast.

The best thing I did and I highly recommend is to make a visit to the dealer and spend some time in the sample room and mix and match interior and exterior colors. I came up with a combo I never considered and don’t regret.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:10 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kurac
I am a black interior guy and even mores a race-tex guy . I have the GTS package on my current car and am getting it again . With steel it would have been red with ceramic its chalk . It works with any color on my top list . The only thing I have wrestled with is color and no matter how much I wanted a change I still love flat white . I am not done with Gt silver though because on this car it really makes a home run . I don't dislike Dolomite . That video did kill it for me but In was wavering beforehand .

Last edited by yrralis1; 11-01-2021 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:35 PM
Bearrun21
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
I couldn't decide...One of my builds was chalk exterior w agave interior..ive seen this in person it is stunning...
...and many, many thanks for planting that idea in my head. That even 'reads' as a stunning combination; here's to my future color dilemma.

Quick Reply: Is the right color for the car the best color for you ?