Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the right color for the car the best color for you ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2021, 06:29 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 758 Likes on 329 Posts
Default Is the right color for the car the best color for you ?

Every time I look at Gt silver on the 992 it goes such a long way the being ideal for the car. It blends the black plastic on the rear while at the same time shows the cuts in the 993 style hood in the front hood. It's not a chameleon color where depending on what time of day one looks at it there is a change . It's timeless , classic and beautiful.

I never wear silver anything . I painted a bathroom silver once .I think my wife looks great in silver but I dont feel out works with me . In dont even feel it matches with South Florida . Miami is all green plants and a lot of sun

.I have always felt comfortable wearing black and I bought black cars despite the heat . I dont feel its the right color for the GTS though . I have always felt comfortable wearing white . I like blue too but gentian is out . . Night blue was on the table at one time but not now . I cant get past the purple in Gentian .

I am not a bright color guy . A lot of times I just like peace and quiet with my car and am totally ok with feeling anonymous rather than seeking road attention . I like some of them ., I even have red clothes . Green and yellow I dont have . I dont wear bright colors a lot though.

Gt silver is so right for the car . Im am just not sure if its right for me.

So I ask you .. Do YOU buy the color that is right for the car or visa versa. ? Are you sure that the color you bought fills both categories ? How have you faced that conflict of filing one but not the other ? BTW ., if you are not overly decision.obsessed with it . do you just pick one and say "ok that works" without much thought ? What do you do if you get it and it doesnt work?

One last point .. I probably wouldn't feel the way I do if the car was a lot cheaper . At 70K or so for a car I'd take a chance on. anything but at 170+K the emphasis really points to getting it right.

Last edited by yrralis1; 10-29-2021 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-29-2021, 06:35 AM
992uk
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I take the view that there is no wrong colour for any car as we all see colour differently albeit car design (M4 as an example) is beginning to question that view.

I can’t decide whether to go subtle (GTS, AG, AG) or bold - yellow, orange, green. Still time to choose. I quite like Carmine Red but am put off by the fact that you can get the SUVs in that colour and there are loads of them around.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:08 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

That's *your* right color for the car, not *the* right color for the car.
The following users liked this post:
yrralis1 (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 07:30 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
That's *your* right color for the car, not *the* right color for the car.
That's an interesting perspective . It might explain why someone repeatedly buys a certain color . A conflict arises when something with the color doesnt fit the car . The lighter or brighter the color the more that rear plastic stands out . Silver is the only one that really blends it unless one goes dark colors . In dark color territory Porsche cut Night Blue . Agate is still here but I thing its next . They took it off the Macan . It's also no my color , Black is out . I am ambivalent on Aventurine .

For me its been white vs silver with one conflict each making them a dead heat tie .

I like that thought you presented though .
Old 10-29-2021, 07:34 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 992uk
I take the view that there is no wrong colour for any car as we all see colour differently albeit car design (M4 as an example) is beginning to question that view.

I can’t decide whether to go subtle (GTS, AG, AG) or bold - yellow, orange, green. Still time to choose. I quite like Carmine Red but am put off by the fact that you can get the SUVs in that colour and there are loads of them around.
True !! Its like that with clothing too . You see a shirt that you like . Then you have a choice in. colors and when you look at yourself pick that shirt in that color which works for you . The color you put back on the shelf might work far better for someone else . So yes .. there are no "wrong" colors .
Old 10-29-2021, 07:56 AM
mksz51
Pro

Received 749 Likes on 286 Posts

Ahhhh - another philosophical post!

I like black clothing - I do NOT like black cars (have had 2 black cars and 2 black trucks) mostly because I'm very picky on vehicle appearance and black is a perpetual exercise in futility to keep it looking good (drive it once and it's dusty again, etc). Had a GT Silver Cayman and now have a GT Silver 992. To me it is the perfect color for that vehicle -easy to maintain and always looks good. The black trim on the car looks very "natural". Wife likes white - she's had MANY white vehicles - currently a white Macan. Red gets old, blue becomes dated, etc. As stated previously - GT Silver is timeless. Not a fan of Dolomite - too "cold". GT Silver is a warm / bronze silver - just lovely.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:14 AM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,285 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I quite like Carmine Red Gentian Blue but am put off by the fact that you can get SUVs Hyundais in that colour and there are loads of them around.
FIFY
992uk (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 08:26 AM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 135 Posts

I use the “makes me smile” test.
By that I mean when I open the garage door and see the car for the first time that day it should put a smile on my face. That will mean different things to different people but to me it’s the color of my car against a myriad of typically color neutral garage items including the requisite boring colored SUV’s.
Doesnt matter if it’s the “right color” for the car or one of the least popular color as you must avoid that lingering regret that you should have gotten the car in…….
Old 10-29-2021, 08:36 AM
992uk
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ohniner
I use the “makes me smile” test.
By that I mean when I open the garage door and see the car for the first time that day it should put a smile on my face. That will mean different things to different people but to me it’s the color of my car against a myriad of typically color neutral garage items including the requisite boring colored SUV’s.
Doesnt matter if it’s the “right color” for the car or one of the least popular color as you must avoid that lingering regret that you should have gotten the car in…….
If I opened the garage door and saw a white 992 I would still smile even though I don’t like white cars as the car is amazing.
Scott P (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 09:38 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

If I opened the garage door and saw a white 992 I would still smile even though I don’t like white cars as the car is amazing.
Maybe on the first look but when the initial novelty erodes if something is not what you wanted you would know . The closest I got to it was a 2016 Rhodium Macan Turbo that I bought mostly for my wife . The light silvers look great in a showroom light but on the street was ok with it but not overwhelmed . What I did like was it suited my wife perfectly . Even worse was that the platinum satin wheels looked great in the sun but awful at night . Since I tend to do more night driving than day it changes a lot of color choice dynamics .
Old 10-29-2021, 09:59 AM
Peter992
Advanced

Received 70 Likes on 22 Posts

My color dilemma for my 992 lasted few months and in the end I was tired… but now I am definitely sure I made the best decision and went with Carrara white metallic. There is not so many car (if so) I would buy in white.

I really love black cars, but it is a nightmare to keep it really clean and shine. I was deciding between Guards Red, Chalk, Gentian Blue, Carrara White Metallic and both blacks.

It is easy to make a fast decision and then regret it. After few months of searching pictures, visiting dealers and matching the interior (full bordeaux in my case is a must have) I realised the CWM is the only way. The time will give you an answer, dont make a fast decision.
Old 10-29-2021, 11:16 AM
inthesticks
Racer

Received 363 Likes on 128 Posts

In spec'ing a targa (or cab for that matter) the interior color is as important as the exterior color. So the added challenge is finding a great exterior/interior match - and not having them conflict. This is one of the reasons I chose Aventurine. While I liked Night Blue. Gray and GT silver, my favorite interior was Truffle. I decided the AG/Truffle combo worked best together.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:11 PM
DougL
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by inthesticks
In spec'ing a targa (or cab for that matter) the interior color is as important as the exterior color. So the added challenge is finding a great exterior/interior match - and not having them conflict. This is one of the reasons I chose Aventurine. While I liked Night Blue. Gray and GT silver, my favorite interior was Truffle. I decided the AG/Truffle combo worked best together.
That is exactly what I am doing. I don't think it matters whether the car is open or a coupe. You spend most of the time looking at the interior, so that is where I focus most of my energies on the configurator. GT silver is a lovely colour.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:13 PM
DougL
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In response to the OP I would choose a colour which is right for the car and not right for me. Though maybe not Guards Red. It suits the car but not me.

Last edited by DougL; 10-29-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 03:13 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts

Color is such a personal and subjective choice, what one may think is the perfect color for a specific car, the next person will likely see and feel something completely different. The outside environment, what clothes I wear, etc, have no bearing on my color choice of a car. I also don't buy into the notion that there is a right or wrong color for car because again, that is someone's opinion. So, to answer your questions in the title of the thread, the right color for the car normally ends up also being the right color for me.

Quick Reply: Is the right color for the car the best color for you ?