Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY22 AMG SL, similar to the 992?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2021, 02:00 PM
DougL
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2021 SL400. It was a lovely car. Quick, well built but no sportscar. The SL has been a GT car for ever. I wouldn't necessarily call the 911 an out an out sports car either now as it is a bit large and heavy nowadays. However it is much more towards the Sportscar end of the GT car spectrum.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:10 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 453 Posts

The 911 has gained refinement over the past few decades (softer ride with adaptive dampers, better noise insulation, nicer interior materials and styling), allowing it to approach the refinement of the SL. The SL has lost the ABC suspension this generation, though they are offering optional air suspension with active anti roll actuators (standard on the SL63) and I'm curious how that will ride. Without the optional air suspension (and associated ability to get a soft cruiser ride or firm sporty ride), the R232 doesn't seem very impressive to me compared to the 992 - it's much heavier hurting performance, and doesn't really do anything much better than the 992. Perhaps the interior is a bit nicer, there would be a bit less road noise, suspension might be tuned a touch softer, and the styling is different, but I see nothing stand-out about the SL55 compared to say a base 992. The soft ride of air suspension coupled with decent body control from active anti-roll bars could offer more of a case to choose one over a 992.

I've been a bit underwhelmed by the new SL. It hasn't excited me the way new sports cars have, nor is it quite the replacement for the S class coupe/cab I was hoping for.

Last edited by wizee; 10-29-2021 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:20 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
The 911 has gained refinement over the past few decades (softer ride with adaptive dampers, better noise insulation, nicer interior materials and styling), allowing it to approach the refinement of the SL. The SL has lost the ABC suspension this generation, though they are offering optional air suspension with active anti roll actuators (standard on the SL63) and I'm curious how that will ride. Without the optional air suspension (and associated ability to get a soft cruiser ride or firm sporty ride), the R232 doesn't seem very impressive to me compared to the 992 - it's much heavier hurting performance, and doesn't really do anything much better than the 992. Perhaps the interior is a bit nicer, there would be a bit less road noise, suspension might be tuned a touch softer, and the styling is different, but I see nothing stand-out about the SL55 compared to say a base 992. The soft ride of air suspension coupled with decent body control from active anti-roll bars could offer more of a case to choose one over a 992.

I've been a bit underwhelmed by the new SL. It hasn't excited me the way new sports cars have, nor is it quite the replacement for the S class coupe/cab I was hoping for.
The last generation that I really cared about the SL was the R129 (1989-2000?) era. Those still seemed special. Since then, not so much.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:20 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 801 Posts

there are likely a lot of cross shoppers, but none of them would be on rennlist. they're not buying the 911 for it's legendary driving dynamics. they're buying it as a status symbol.
The following users liked this post:
Freddie Two Bs (10-30-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 02:36 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,770 Likes on 5,137 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Interesting that a Portofino M weights less than a TTS cab at 1664 kg (at least from manufacturer info, although car weight is always subject to debate).
I drove the Roma, which should be similar to the M, and it's more of a sports car than GT. The steering feel is far superior from the Porsche, which is already superb for an electric system. With the current ADM and limited allocations, It's probably cheaper and easier to buy the Porto. I was offered either F8, Roma or Porto at MSRP (standard Ferrari practice), lead time 8-10 months. Odd times.
The 911 weight, size and equipment is moving towards the non-track drivers or vice-versa. The upcoming hybrid TTS is unlikely to be lighter. The NA engines will soon be gone or tamed. The 718 platform is also going electric. It's not unthinkable that Porsche may have a couple of Sports cars (eg GT3) as flagships in the future but the rest far too close to gran tourers. Modern suspensions can make the likes of Taycans feel nimble but can't hide the weight on the track.
My point in this thread is that car magazines announced this SL as an option to the 911. I think up to the 991, mostly the 997, it would make no sense to make such comparison. Thinking ahead, I'm not so sure.
I think you missed the connotation of my post.

The similarities for the segment of the buyers interested in these two cars (the MB SL and the Portofino) are, to put it bluntly, women.

Basically any front-engined V8 Ferrari (save for the GTC4Lusso) is known and generally perceived as the "wife's car" -- which is really what the prior generations (R231 and earlier) of the MB SL was targeted at, either intentionally or not. But that was the perception and more often than not perception not only becomes reality, but is reality.

A more apt competitor to a 911 Cab would be the Aston Martin Vantage Convertible, which signals more of a masculine vibe than the MB SL ever did. Maybe this R232 version of the SL will change that, but I am not holding my breath.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:57 PM
voyagez.fr
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 45 Posts

R230 was pretty masculine to me, especially when you look at models such as the SL55 and 65 Black series. The styling and exhaust was probably the best from the Germans at its time.

The non amg vehicles are basically luxury gt cars. Sleek, elegant, and sporty styling with similar comforts to that of an S class. Can’t say the same for 911 and Panamera. Not sure if there is anything quite like it on the market as the other luxury gt cars are all boats, like the 8 series and cgt.

When I drove the Panamera Turbo, it had more in common with the S class or CLS in terms of comfort and luxury.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I think you missed the connotation of my post.

The similarities for the segment of the buyers interested in these two cars (the MB SL and the Portofino) are, to put it bluntly, women.

Basically any front-engined V8 Ferrari (save for the GTC4Lusso) is known and generally perceived as the "wife's car" -- which is really what the prior generations (R231 and earlier) of the MB SL was targeted at, either intentionally or not. But that was the perception and more often than not perception not only becomes reality, but is reality.

A more apt competitor to a 911 Cab would be the Aston Martin Vantage Convertible, which signals more of a masculine vibe than the MB SL ever did. Maybe this R232 version of the SL will change that, but I am not holding my breath.
Old 10-29-2021, 03:12 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
The last generation that I really cared about the SL was the R129 (1989-2000?) era. Those still seemed special. Since then, not so much.
R107 for me. I still kind of want one - with the euro front/rear conversion.

Old 10-29-2021, 04:14 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
R107 for me. I still kind of want one - with the euro front/rear conversion.

Yep! Those are the ones I grew up with. My dad was serious about getting one back in the 80s, but never did. I'd love to have one if I had the space. I had seriously thought about buying him one for his 70th b-day but I figured he didn't want to deal with the hassle so I passed. They are super cheap and very stout I believe. Old fashioned Mercedes reliability.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:48 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 453 Posts

Actually, the Road and Track article I read mentioning air suspension is probably wrong: https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...t-replacement/

A guy on MBWorld linked a press release written by Daimler that better describes the suspension: https://media.daimler.com/marsMediaS...l?oid=51730329

They achieve an effect similar to PDCC with variable roll stiffness through hydraulic interconnection of the dampers. They also use this system for front axle lift. It doesn't look like the system can actively compensate for dive on braking and squat on acceleration the way ABC did though.

One cool thing I saw is that the R232 is the first Mercedes to have a multi-link front suspension. I wonder how that will impact handling at the limit of traction; the non-GT 992s just have MacPherson front suspensions as before. This could help mitigate the impacts of losing ABC's active dive and squat compensation.

Last edited by wizee; 10-29-2021 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 05:10 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Interesting that a Portofino M weights less than a TTS cab at 1664 kg (at least from manufacturer info, although car weight is always subject to debate).
I drove the Roma, which should be similar to the M, and it's more of a sports car than GT. The steering feel is far superior from the Porsche, which is already superb for an electric system. With the current ADM and limited allocations, It's probably cheaper and easier to buy the Porto. I was offered either F8, Roma or Porto at MSRP (standard Ferrari practice), lead time 8-10 months. Odd times.
The 911 weight, size and equipment is moving towards the non-track drivers or vice-versa. The upcoming hybrid TTS is unlikely to be lighter. The NA engines will soon be gone or tamed. The 718 platform is also going electric. It's not unthinkable that Porsche may have a couple of Sports cars (eg GT3) as flagships in the future but the rest far too close to gran tourers. Modern suspensions can make the likes of Taycans feel nimble but can't hide the weight on the track.
My point in this thread is that car magazines announced this SL as an option to the 911. I think up to the 991, mostly the 997, it would make no sense to make such comparison. Thinking ahead, I'm not so sure.
AMG GT maybe, but not an SL. Can’t say I’ve ever heard that.
Old 10-29-2021, 05:33 PM
992brian
Advanced

Received 117 Likes on 45 Posts

Personally think the front end of the SL is very attractive. The long hood and front lights/grill are very tasteful. The two things that I don't like are the rear end slope + taillights combo, as well as the center infotainment touchscreen. If its illegal and unsafe to use a phone during driving, stop putting stupid touchscreens in the center. *facepalm*.
Old 10-29-2021, 05:43 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 992brian
Personally think the front end of the SL is very attractive. The long hood and front lights/grill are very tasteful. The two things that I don't like are the rear end slope + taillights combo, as well as the center infotainment touchscreen. If its illegal and unsafe to use a phone during driving, stop putting stupid touchscreens in the center. *facepalm*.
i don't like the rear either; a friend of mine mentioned it reminded him of a 911. i don't see it, or actively resist seeing it, but they may have been trying to invoke it.
Old 10-29-2021, 05:45 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 429 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
there are likely a lot of cross shoppers, but none of them would be on rennlist. they're not buying the 911 for it's legendary driving dynamics. they're buying it as a status symbol.
OMG, great post, seriously, spot on Man. lived in a bunch of these "up-scale", Mcmansion, baloon mortagage neighborhoods with the grossly over extended CEO, CFO, CIO, CHRO, CYoYo, and or "Co"- CEO of anything of the above. They are all high volume movers with these idiotic, total BS titles and the "I new that attitude", about absolutely anything and everything. This is what these corporate punks do until pink slips are passed out Monday morning and the inevitable house of cards caves and wipes out the ability to pay monthly minimums on the 5,000 sq ft shack, country club bond, his and her Rolex watches, mortgaged condo in Boca, Mercedes, along with the 911 that the
MBA couldn't drive out of a paper bag and gets sold before the bank takes what was never Mr. Big Shot's in the first place.

Last edited by phaser; 10-29-2021 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-31-2021, 02:40 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

I love the video of the new SL and would love to get one for my wife, but I don't have a wife so I guess I just saved close to $200k. Yay!

Seriously though, beautiful cars, I've always been drawn to them starting back in 1986 when I worked for Anton Mercedes in Rockville MD for a year. My boss had a blue with cream colored leather interior 560SL and it was dreamy.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:28 PM
3uros
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 212 Posts

I like the idea of the new SL...Merc was serious about upping the performance chops by bringing the SL closer to its original roots, i.e. W198, with only an "AMG" badge. But I still see this car as being more of Jag F-Type kind of competitor. I am sure the 911 is a better car overall. It would be nice to have it in addition to the 911
The following users liked this post:
Master Deep (11-02-2021)

Quick Reply: MY22 AMG SL, similar to the 992?