Window screeching

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 07:34 PM
xman11
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by itrocks4u
Is your car no longer under warranty?
Still under warranty. It was an easy fix and I didn't want to bother with the time and hassle of having to convince the dealership it's a warranty issue, have tech reproduce, etc.
Btw, part is around $200 online for new

Last edited by xman11; 05-04-2024 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 04:54 PM
lone992
Instructor

Received 296 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by xman11
Ideally, Porsche should fix it under warranty like in these posts (1 and 2).

I had a similar issue. It was driving me crazy so I took a look at it today.
It turns out there is a rubber guide at the front end of the door that gets folded inwards and rubs against the window causing a squeak or screech.
My guess is it can get this way if you roll the window all the way down - by pressing down button after one touch down.

Take off the exterior metal rail (don't bend it) and rubber on top of door for better access. (find a video on youtube)
Roll the window down.
Using a long thin stick like a wooden paint mixer or shim, try to reposition the rubber at the front end of the window so it's no longer folded inward. Start from top of the open and work your way down.
(See pic with arrows)

Use long thin object to guide out the rubber guide

Slowly roll up the window while positioning the rubber guide to not fold inward. Continue until the window is mostly up and you no longer have access.
If the rubber guide is salvageable, you should be able to roll down the window without the rubber guide folding back in and roll it back up without the squeak.

Rubber guide in correct position

Hope this helps.
Thanks for posting this!

I'm having the same screeching issue on my drivers door glass, your procedure seem simple enough to accomplish. I searched youtube and couldn't really find any instructions for removal of the outer scraper seal/trim assy for the 992. It appears that it is might be removable with a plastic trim tool, could you please explain the removal procedure for this piece?
Old 05-23-2024, 12:27 AM
xman11
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a link to youtube vid.

iirc, I don't think you have to remove the small plastic triangle trims.

Btw, it happened to me again when I rolled down the window all the way down - this is possible when door is closed.
I fixed it one more time and now try to remember to leave about 2" of glass sticking above the door line.
Old 05-23-2024, 05:30 PM
lone992
Instructor

Received 296 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by xman11
Btw, it happened to me again when I rolled down the window all the way down - this is possible when door is closed.
I fixed it one more time and now try to remember to leave about 2" of glass sticking above the door line.
Really appreciate the YouTube link and reply back. Hopefully, the guide seal will reposition itself after a little time, otherwise it will probably require replacement. I'll try to adjust mine and see what happens.

Last edited by lone992; 05-23-2024 at 05:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
xman11 (05-24-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 03:24 PM
XCanuck57
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 21 C4S Cab has the screeching window problem. No tint on the windows. As the weather warms up here in So Cal it goes from not happening at all to happening all the time - both windows. I have had this in once to the dealer. It came out quieter but not eliminated. The tech must not be able to hear high frequency noises! I am going to take it back in again. Annoying!

Quick Reply: Window screeching