Sponsored by:

Please help. What to do. Regret!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2021, 01:15 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

To the OP. Get a Boxster 987.2 manual. Best porsche I had for the money.
Or suck it up the loss, but it's a bad time for that.
Don't feel bad. I traded a low mileage 997.2 into a 6 series because the ADM on the 991S aggravated me (!). Talk about regret... I traded it less than 2 years later into a 991S, 5% off MSRP, beemer near 50% loss.
Most of middle class car aficionados will do that and feel the pain. Some are doing so well that it doesn't bother them, but it still happens. In the end, the house always wins, but it doesn't mean you can't have fun.
Old 10-24-2021, 01:17 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Just curious, where did you get this figure from? That is A LOT of money. I don't make anywhere remotely that much but I'm getting a 992 by years end I hope.
The numbers around Porsche buyers’ income started flying about in the Wendelin Wiedikin era and we’re total marketing BS then, as they are now. Porsche would have no idea what income a buyer has that pays cash or finances elsewhere, and as any business owner (which many 911 buyers are) knows, income that hits a tax return is different from cash flow in and out of a business and associated personal accounts.

The claims around 911 income are ridiculous, but it’s the first time I’ve heard $400k for the Macan. That’s just comically absurd. It amazes me that intelligent people give any credence to this kind of “data” hogwash.
The following users liked this post:
siberian (10-24-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 01:39 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,288 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Amen

siberian
Old 10-24-2021, 01:39 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,050 Likes on 2,100 Posts

Got to drive a Taycan. It drove more like a Porsche than an electric car. But I'd still take a 911 any day as a sports car. If you're able to remotely swing it, I'd sell it, get into a 992. The dealer likely needs inventory and would be willing to give you top dollar since you'll be waiting a bit to get into a 992 and they get a car now.

Regarding the finance conversation, we're all going to the same place and going to die at some point. Enjoy your life. Don't hurt others in the process. What you do in between there is up to you. Some of us (myself included) spend a disproportionate amount of their income or savings to make a dream happen. We probably won't be living in a $1mm house with $10mm in savings and a $500k income anytime soon, but that's ok. I know plenty of people with considerably less that are considerably happier people. Also while your 911 is unlikely to go up in value, it's unlikely to depreciate down to $0, so you at least have an asset that is worth something, unlike that vacation that so many Americans take every year. Oh and yes, I understand experiences are important, but my 911 is an experience every time I drive it.
The following 4 users liked this post by Bxstr:
breny4104 (10-24-2021), Pcar81 (10-27-2021), Sal635 (10-24-2021), stetty (11-10-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 01:57 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,075 Likes on 2,985 Posts

The talk of income levels around the Porsche models is just marketing. Take the Macan example, with the most common options, the car comes in less than a well spec’d Ford F-150. Most people driving those F-150s aren’t making $400k year.

“Cash” buyers aren’t an indication of anything. In fact, most cash buyers are less financially sophisticated and lower income than folks using super cheap credit and private banking.

The truth is that the 911 ownership community has incredibly diverse demographics, much more so than other marques like Ferrari or Lamborghini. Look at the builds that people post here — cars disciplined to a specific budget and cars that don’t really have a budget at all. If you have a white collar job, 911 ownership is accessible to a lot of people and some people make some sacrifices to do so. It is an attainable dream car for the person willing to do some saving OR willing to pay some ridiculous lease payment. This isn’t an exclusive experience.

There are people planning to keep their cars 10 years, driving it on the weekends only. There are people who drive it as their only car. There are people that drive theirs everywhere, because it’s just a car to them. Heck, for some folks on RennList, the 911 is the “cheap” car in the garage(s).

And yes, some people view it as a status symbol. Telling people the range of incomes that buy the car and letting them know that they can be in that club is part of the marketing machine.

Me? I always wanted one of my own when I was a kid. I drive it everywhere, because I love it. Depreciation isn’t a concern for me. I bought it for the experience could care less what anyone thinks about. Around my neck of the woods, people just presume that you’re a dentist. 😜 I don’t care what they think. I’m just glad that I finally got around to buying one of my own.

Last edited by detansinn; 10-24-2021 at 02:11 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by detansinn:
992uk (10-26-2021), CO 992 (10-28-2021), dhirm5 (10-26-2021), mac10 (11-06-2021), Pcar81 (10-27-2021), rob929 (10-25-2021), russbert (10-26-2021), walls99 (10-29-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-25-2021, 04:52 AM
Raybold7
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Aren't statistics great?? The minute I read that I went to check my retirement income...I better sell my Macan and 992 as we're nowhere near that figure (median or other) - but I'm NOT selling my 2008 V8 Touareg.

siberian
Sending a lot of love to you for your honesty! It's a great stigma to have attached to us, but I'm in the same boat as you and I'm not selling my RRS V8 TT!
Old 10-25-2021, 04:55 AM
Raybold7
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
You don’t SAVE to buy new Porsches. Wrong approach.

You do your homework and invest your savings into high return instruments. That’s how you get the cash. Pick the right stocks and get twenty times the returns of your savings. Sometimes thirty.
Yes you do.

The average Joe who aspires to be a Porsche owner because he loves the car (not talking about the brand), knows the minimum when it comes to investments.

If you really believe this, you are not living in the real world, sorry.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:26 AM
Autobacs
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 91 Posts

For each income level that you achieve in life, if you are a car guy, you have an aspirational car. Some dudes that have a decent year may say, "I had a good bonus this year, I'm going to spoil myself and get a Z or a Corvette" etc etc. I think all car guys will do that and get a ton of enjoyment based on the spoil myself extra cash based on some affordable amount that won't break them. For me, I had a killer year and it was only then that I said that I'll spoil myself and get a 911 but the spoil fund was on a relative basis the same %. I think this is why that stat tends to hang together. These guys are probably saying, "I banked $600k this year, I'll splurge on a $120k-$135k car as a reward to myself for killing it." But guys making this amount of bank are going to be naturally hard wired to never spend beyond their means so likely won't ever over spend. Prior to this, if I had a good year, I was thinking that I'd get a Supra or something like that but that changed and it got bumped up to a 911 when the amount of spoil myself cash went much higher......then it was "let's waive that 911 in" LOL. Truthfully, what really did it was when I test drove the 911.......it was a life changing experience. It's really hard to describe what the 911 feels like until you drive it....really tough to explain it to people that just drive cars for transportation.

Rationale in 2020 and 2021:
This spoil myself money can either be spent in one of two ways in search of enjoyable experiences; take the killer vacation, or get something like a 911. For me it was, I had a killer year, COVID hit so no chance of a killer vacation anytime soon, get the 911 and cruise around town having a mini vacation everytime I step into that car. I really mean that......no other car even comes close.....I actually look forward to turning on that ignition, hearing the engine and then pulling out of my driveway. All mundane errands is helped by the 911.

So at the end of the day, get your 911 back, life goes by fast and when you get old and you can't drive, you'll remember that feeling you had when you were younger driving that car with that loud exhaust and how you felt, instead of that whiny Taycan electric motor!
The following 2 users liked this post by Autobacs:
Mercuriell (10-26-2021), Pcar81 (10-27-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 03:46 AM
vaderone
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a tesla models s and 992. The 992 is more visceral and involved drive. The Tesla has amazing acceleration and fun with OTA updates. I prefer driving my 992.
dhirm5 (10-28-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 02:44 PM
pascalemod
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Well, allegedly VW is working on an IPO for Porsche, so...
Porsche SE Automibile Holding owns VW Group based on votes actually, not the other way around. I think de jure Porsche runs the show, not VW. So Porsche if working Porsche IPO perhaps..

So anyway, it would make sense for Porsche to be spun off separately, only after they have an EV line up because this is what's wanted by those chasing another Tesla performance (haha, not gonna happen, Elon wont be promoting Porsche although he could send it to space just to make fun of it). And as investor, I probably would not buy Porsche the car company just like I am staying away from Volvo IPO. I get what Tesla is trying to do, to mass market their electrics (Hertz makes sense, everyone gonna test drive Teslas now and Pay for it also).

This 600k average porsche owner income is pretty sweet but I bet averages out those who are worth millions+. Having said that, I always applied a rule of thumb that your car shall not be worth more than half your annual income (but can be less of course). Always found it to make sense through life.

My biggest question is if Taycan will depreciate more or less as EV. It looks pretty damn good, and EV platform makes it supposedly fairly reliable, but range is poor (so it is on a Lambo on petrol tank, to be fair). Panameras hold value pretty well, and I think Taycan might do better. Still low volume car (20000 made?) helps too. I think design is VERY good, like that of 911. Porsche sort of nailed the 4 door sedan design using great infrastructure. ONly problem of Taycan really is poor packaging. It is the size of an SUV with interior less than Model 3.

Last edited by pascalemod; 10-26-2021 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:05 PM
jwarnat
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I traded in my Tesla Plaid for my '20 C4S Cab. Loved the Tesla acceleration and most of the tech - didn't love the overall car fit/finish.
Autobacs (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 08:10 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
... but the demand is also so high for Taycan’s that the dealer might be willing to do it.
my local dealers have tacans rotting on the lot with various discounts and specials. zero 911s.
Old 10-28-2021, 12:45 PM
rewardforsuccess
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts

See, people falling for the electric mobile novelty.
Look back at the reasons WHY you chose a Porsche, err THE 911. Remember that NONE of these other cars (yet) convey them enough.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:37 PM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

Neither am I but wealth is abstract, unless you're willing to sell the house you live in or the vase from Aunt Harriet dating back to the 1800s, wealth is an appraisal. Until you find a buyer it's what it is, a number. Cash is what buys a Porsche not what your house is estimated to be worth or whatever unless you borrow against it.

siberian
and, you can sleep in your car but you can't drive your house.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:27 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,459 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Neither am I but wealth is abstract, unless you're willing to sell the house you live in or the vase from Aunt Harriet dating back to the 1800s, wealth is an appraisal. Until you find a buyer it's what it is, a number. Cash is what buys a Porsche not what your house is estimated to be worth or whatever unless you borrow against it.

siberian
Wealth is abstract. Until they start to tax it. Then it becomes very real, very quick.

Quick Reply: Please help. What to do. Regret!