Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre-Covid era experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2021, 09:27 PM
HappyHades
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

I like to think that thing will settle down in a 2-3 year, maybe more, but definitely things will get back to the pre covid years. looking forward to being able to walk into a dealer and have the opportunity to actually test drive a car.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:32 PM
sker
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
The best deal I ever got on a 911 was in 2009 . I read on a forum that a guy got 20 percent off MSRP on a new car . There was such an over supply of cars that dealerships didn't even want them . No one was buying cars during the financial crisis . I walked into my empty dealership and told them what I had read . I wasn't even looking for a car but I said too them if they would do it I would walk the lot, find one, and buy it on the spot . Here is a much younger yrralis1 the day it happened .https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...f-my-face.html

More recently I did get 7 percent off on a Macan in Nov. 2020 just as this shortage trickery began . That was the end if it . Now its full MSRP.

The good old Porsche discount days are gone at least for now !!
And at the Collection - no less! 😂
Old 10-27-2021, 10:33 PM
Jon35
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

As others said it wasn't until early 2021 that stuff got tough. In September 2020 I ordered and got my C2 with a 7% discount and if I chose not to order had a choice of 4 cars at one dealer and 3 cars at another (C2's and C2S's). Had long and multiple test drives and that was without even looking at the CPO's
Old 11-07-2021, 10:47 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 821 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by HappyHades
I like to think that thing will settle down in a 2-3 year, maybe more, but definitely things will get back to the pre covid years. looking forward to being able to walk into a dealer and have the opportunity to actually test drive a car.
Yes likely...2022 will be more of the same as 2021 from what most auto analysts and dealers are predicting. Kinda agree in that a lot of combination of things came about to put this into place and it wasn't just covid19 relief $$ and a chip shortage as some think or propose but a lot more than that. Most manufacturers of almost everything have made a precise art of their production schedules emphasizing "just in time" production which is great when supply line and subcontractors are intact and demand is predictable but COVID19 and many of the reactions to it globally and locally in the US from govts to municipalities to peoples spending habit and employment kinda knocked all of what we normally have been used to and took for granted off kilter. Way off kilter starting in mid 2020 and its continued to slide since. So yeah the opportunity to browse inventory and test drive models no matter what the make is likely something most say we won't see again until 2022 late or early 2023 at the most. As for prices..some say they may stay for a bit longer than that after production and inventory rebound much like in some areas for real estate.
Originally Posted by Jon35
As others said it wasn't until early 2021 that stuff got tough. In September 2020 I ordered and got my C2 with a 7% discount and if I chose not to order had a choice of 4 cars at one dealer and 3 cars at another (C2's and C2S's). Had long and multiple test drives and that was without even looking at the CPO's
Yeah got my car ordered in July 2020 and delivered right after Thanksgiving 2020 with a mild 4% discount...likely right at the end of those times although I did hear accounts of discounts still being offered in Q3/Q4 2020 but they became less and less and my Jan-Feb 2021 they were a reason for most dealers to laugh you off the lot or hang up on you unless you had deep history with them. Hell I bought 2 used cars in Aug 21 and couldn't even get anything but a complimentary discount on them and that was after getting a new car from one of them for my wife within 30 days of that purchase....and even then inventory (BMW) was scant with only 2 PHEV models available! Just bananas....we won't see the pre-COVID19 buying days for a min I think...
Old 11-07-2021, 11:21 AM
SFAVGUY
Racer

Received 475 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Yes likely...2022 will be more of the same as 2021 from what most auto analysts and dealers are predicting. Kinda agree in that a lot of combination of things came about to put this into place and it wasn't just covid19 relief $$ and a chip shortage as some think or propose but a lot more than that. Most manufacturers of almost everything have made a precise art of their production schedules emphasizing "just in time" production which is great when supply line and subcontractors are intact and demand is predictable but COVID19 and many of the reactions to it globally and locally in the US from govts to municipalities to peoples spending habit and employment kinda knocked all of what we normally have been used to and took for granted off kilter. Way off kilter starting in mid 2020 and its continued to slide since. So yeah the opportunity to browse inventory and test drive models no matter what the make is likely something most say we won't see again until 2022 late or early 2023 at the most. As for prices..some say they may stay for a bit longer than that after production and inventory rebound much like in some areas for real estate.

Yeah got my car ordered in July 2020 and delivered right after Thanksgiving 2020 with a mild 4% discount...likely right at the end of those times although I did hear accounts of discounts still being offered in Q3/Q4 2020 but they became less and less and my Jan-Feb 2021 they were a reason for most dealers to laugh you off the lot or hang up on you unless you had deep history with them. Hell I bought 2 used cars in Aug 21 and couldn't even get anything but a complimentary discount on them and that was after getting a new car from one of them for my wife within 30 days of that purchase....and even then inventory (BMW) was scant with only 2 PHEV models available! Just bananas....we won't see the pre-COVID19 buying days for a min I think...
I think the end of the discounts came in early 21, places my order in early feb and got a small 2% discount.
Old 11-07-2021, 12:57 PM
HouTexCarreraS
Pro

Received 406 Likes on 230 Posts

I started shopping for a 992 in late December, 2019 and went to the 3 Houston area dealers--all had numerous 992's in the showroom and on the lot. I test drove at one and asked all 3 to quote me on my build for an ordered car--got a 5% discount with an immediate allocation and a quick build date. I took delivery of the car at the end of February, 2020--great experience, but those days are now gone.

Quick Reply: Pre-Covid era experience