Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 or Continental TS860?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 02:34 PM
audioslave992
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 or Continental TS860?

Hello!
Michelin Pilot Alpine 5 or Continental TS860?
Which one is better and why?
Usually Michelin has a very long lifetime, but I'm not shure of this also applies to the NA0.

​​​​​​Regards
Philipp
Old 10-20-2021, 02:52 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Please give us more details on your ride, where you live or climactic conditions you'll be facing, sporadic or DD, AWD? etc.

siberian
Old 10-20-2021, 03:53 PM
audioslave992
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

It has to be an allrounder.
Drift trainings, backroad driving, highspeed Autobahn driving, winter roadtrip to Northcape in Scandinavia with snow and ice.
Actually I need a semi slick combined with a studded winter tyre.
Old 10-20-2021, 04:05 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes which is why I was so disappointed that Nokian doesn't offer anything for our 992s as that has been my winter tire par excellence for the past 45 years. My Macan S and V8 Touareg are all on Nokian.

Alas what you're asking doesn't for the time exist so we now have a choice of either Michelin, Contis or Good Year. Given what you expect I would definitely not consider all season tires.

siberian
Old 10-20-2021, 04:54 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 849 Likes on 433 Posts

I believe the Continental TS860 is a newer tire. I don't see many reviews on TireRack for it - but I do see that it is about 1/2 the price of the Michelin.

My experience has been that Michelin makes an incredible tire that tends to wear quicker than the competition. That said, I doubt there is a better "winter" tire than the PA5 right now.

Alas, I said "winter" - not "snow". It is important to know the difference. If you live in say Chicago, you want a winter tire if possible. This is going to provide you decent dry and wet grip along with decent snow/ice. The opposite of this is something like the Nokian Hakkapelitta - that is a true snow/ice tire and while it will be AMAZING in the snow and ice, it is going to suck in the dry and wet. @siberian lives in Alaska and as you can see, would love to get the Nokian - but the fact is that's the wrong tire for many of us. Do note that Nokian makes a great winter (they call it an all season - cause, well they are from Finland...), and that is their WGR series tires. I would put them up against most "winter" tires and they are the tires I put on my Mother In-Laws car cause that allowed her to drive through anything (dry/wet/snow).

PS the Pirelli P Zero Winter is also new and not rated - I "think" that is what is coming on my 19/20 set from Porsche because the Continentals had to be ordered.

Old 10-20-2021, 05:10 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Alas, the Nokian WRG is no longer what it was. In their "green" mindset they evolved the WRG to WRG2 which truly and absolutely has nothing to do with the original compound or design. I happen to know the GM of Nokian in Finland and we had several exchanges on what happened and why the WRG2 is not what its predecessor was.

My wife's Macan is on Hakka 9 studded and they're totally and absolutely incredible. My RS5 (just sold) was on Hakka 8 studded and all I could say was "where others slow down". My Touareg is on Hakka 5 or 6 and my bob cat has chains on all four foam filled tires (just to be complete). I've only done one outing on the 992 since it snowed and melted and turned to ice on the Michelin Alpin and I'll reserve my comments on them until I can truly test them.

But Doug_999 is correct, when I say winter tires (180 miles from the arctic circle) I mean winter. Not Chicago winter but Alaska winter, our roads are different than yours (actually better in winter as the gravel is now smooth and pot holes are gone), our temperature and swings are very different due to massive thermal inversions etc. So my requirements are more extreme and are for comparison only. Years ago as a test driver for Audi/Vdub/Bentley they wanted us to test a set of Vredestein tires on a Bentley and RS7 (well I guess if you have the cash why not have a Bentley convertible in Fairbanks?). I had tried to tell them that this was not a "deep" winter tire. But a customer wanted us to test them; so we did. Terrible. So what passes as a winter tire elsewhere is not what is needed up here and why so many companies come and test up here.

I do hope Nokian will eventually make something for the 992s

siberian
Old 10-14-2022, 07:35 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

Alpin5 (not Alpine FYI)
The following users liked this post:
siberian (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 10:03 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Update, Nokian finally has Hakka 10s (studded) for the 992s. I'll be swapping out my Alpin5s as they're nowhere near what Nokian are for up here.

siberian
The following users liked this post:
CO 992 (10-16-2022)
Old 10-15-2022, 10:28 PM
GoBlue!
Pro

Received 261 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Yes which is why I was so disappointed that Nokian doesn't offer anything for our 992s as that has been my winter tire par excellence for the past 45 years. My Macan S and V8 Touareg are all on Nokian.

Alas what you're asking doesn't for the time exist so we now have a choice of either Michelin, Contis or Good Year. Given what you expect I would definitely not consider all season tires.

siberian
I’ve been on a 992 with Hakka 8 studded.
Old 10-15-2022, 11:57 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My name for them has always been "Where others slow down"...

siberian
Old 10-16-2022, 11:51 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 784 Posts

I have the Pzero Winters (NA0) on my 992 now and have run two full winters on them. They were good even in heavy snow the first year, but as the tread wore down they became less capable in the tough stuff and got very noisy. Initially thought I'd just replace the rears but the plan now is to get 4 new winters for the 992 in December. I just picked up a set of Pilot Alpin5s for my GR Supra 3.0, and If I like them that's what the 911 will get.

Last edited by gcurnew; 10-17-2022 at 01:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 or Continental TS860?