Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

Not good for cars to sit.
The following users liked this post:
Il CP (10-19-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 04:25 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 783 Posts

Careful with the dryer sheets. The only time I ever stored a Porsche over the winter (2012 Cayman S in winter 2012/13) I used a box of 100 in and around the car. Took 3+ years daily driving the car for the smell to completely dissipate.
Steve 96C4S (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 07:44 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,093 Likes on 2,115 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
I’ve been parking cars in our garage for my entire life and never have mice chewed up the wiring.

Do mice somehow like the taste of 911 wiring? What’s with this obsession about mice?
Wire insulation is soy based. Mice like it.
audi4t (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 09:21 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 257 Posts

Good idea to put out sticky mouse traps if you store your car.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:46 PM
One N Done
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Back in 97' I had to take a trip to Korea for a month and stored my E36 M3 in the garage. The wife said our black lab took a lot of interest in the car after a week of me being gone. I came home to a pile of hood insulation under the car - could have been worse!
My 911 is a nice weather weekend car, so it sits a fair amount of time in the garage. The Yorkie pretty much has gotten rid of all squirrels and rodents around my house. No worries.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:27 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
... Do mice somehow like the taste of 911 wiring? What’s with this obsession about mice?
Several years ago I was taking in my 911 for its general service and I knew most of the mechanics at this particular dealership. One of them had a Boxster S interior completely removed so I had to ask why? He stated that the owner had left his car at the airport while he was out of the country for 3 weeks and when he returned and started up the car, he needed to turned the heater on because it was cold outside.

That's when mouse blood, guts and fur flew all over the interior of the car hence a large amount of cleaning and working on fan blades that got destroyed, etc. That's why.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:43 PM
Il CP
Pro

Received 507 Likes on 213 Posts

These car are built to be reliable daily drivers. They won't melt in the rain.

Now what cars in general do not like, is sitting. Seals dry, tyres crack, fuel gets stale, gums up etc. Your car will last and drive better if you use it. I'm in Scandinavia and the Lusso is my winter daily. I think if a Ferrari V12 can pull winter daily duty, why on earth would you keep a 911 in the garage queen?
if you want something special that warrants a yearly outing, there are better cars for that.
Old 10-19-2021, 05:01 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
I have a 14 year old garage queen 911 hooked to a charger . Its sporadic when I drive it and its usually when my other 911 is either in service ar at detailer . I let sit once for 8 months. I don't worry about mice . I like cats !! I have them indoors as well as outside. The mice must know . All kidding aside get the car , seal all ports of entry and keep it charged . If a mouse cant get in the garage it cant get into your car . Dont do anything silly like put poison . Beyond the cruelty some kid chasing a ball or a neighbors pet could run onto your property and then its tragic . Just take care of the car the best you can and tihngs ought to work out . Maybe you'll end up with more than 3 days . Good luck !
Mouse traps are non-toxic and effective. 98 Cents for two at Walmart. We've killed 18 behind our house hardly trying. Those guys can't resist peanut butter bait.
Mice can get through a 1/4" hole. So trying to seal them out won't be effective. Cats and traps are effective.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:04 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 88 Posts

This stuff has always worked for me. Garage smells great too.

Old 10-19-2021, 07:18 PM
Mr Bean
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

I have some experience with motors that are used seasonally. Where I live snowmobiles are used 6 months in the year. Boats are also seasonal as lakes freeze in winter. ATVs are also seasonal. All I do is put fuel stabilizer and start every motor once per month. Let it run for five minutes. No trickle charger needed. Then drive it like you stole it when the time comes. That is my story and I am sticking with it! 😀
Old 10-19-2021, 08:01 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,135 Likes on 3,006 Posts

Downside of that approach is that the exhaust system doesn’t get warm enough to evaporate the condensation which leads to other issues. Using a battery tender will also improve the life of the battery as 5min isn’t enough to fully charge it.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:19 AM
Raybold7
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Il CP
These car are built to be reliable daily drivers. They won't melt in the rain.

Now what cars in general do not like, is sitting. Seals dry, tyres crack, fuel gets stale, gums up etc. Your car will last and drive better if you use it. I'm in Scandinavia and the Lusso is my winter daily. I think if a Ferrari V12 can pull winter daily duty, why on earth would you keep a 911 in the garage queen?
if you want something special that warrants a yearly outing, there are better cars for that.
Thing is I like the beauty of the 992. I don't want anything else. I love the Aventador but they are just too wide and not built for the tiny UK roads.

I'm leaning towards driving it more than I originally thought after hearing what people have to say. It is a crying shame to keep all those horses in the stable when all they want to do is be set free!

Thanks
Old 10-20-2021, 07:21 AM
Raybold7
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bean
I have some experience with motors that are used seasonally. Where I live snowmobiles are used 6 months in the year. Boats are also seasonal as lakes freeze in winter. ATVs are also seasonal. All I do is put fuel stabilizer and start every motor once per month. Let it run for five minutes. No trickle charger needed. Then drive it like you stole it when the time comes. That is my story and I am sticking with it! 😀
Like it and can't disagree with the logic.

Any recommendations for a fuel stabiliser?
Old 10-20-2021, 07:50 AM
992uk
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Raybold7

Only use E5 super unleaded and you should be fine. E10 unleaded is causing lots of issues with machinery - I won't use it in my John Deere's - and I hate to think what garaged cars will be like next spring with a tank of E10 that has sat for six months.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:21 PM
Mr Bean
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Raybold7

I use STA-BIL Storage Fuel Stabilizer. This is readily available and works really well. It will keep fuel fresh for two years. You don't need anything else, though I've used Sea Foam SF-16 as well - also a good product. Not as readily available - you may need to go to Amazon for that,
Raybold7 (10-21-2021)

Quick Reply: Problems Not Driving The 992?