Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$50k dealer markup on targa 4s allocation!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2021 | 10:30 PM
Carrera3:16
Instructor

Originally Posted by nyca
10 months for a regular Carrera? Things must be loosening up. Seriously though, alot of articles floating out there about how the premium brands, notably all the Europeans, are going to make this the "new normal" - cars mostly built to order, and a higher transaction price for them (and the dealers) for each one. And we aren't just talking about niche cars like the 911, they want to extend this model to everyday cars like C classes and 3/5 series BMWs. Even Alfa Romeo, who barely has any US sales at all, says they are going to do it for 2023. They are pivoting off this COVID/chip shortage thing, to change their business model and lock in these price increases for themselves. A 911 is one thing, but there isn't really anything special about a 3 series.
A BMW 3 series is still a luxury car. I went from a 2010 Ford Mustang to a brand new 328ix back in 2014 and that was a pretty big deal for me…was a big celebration moment for me. So I’m not surprised if they milk this supply chain back up on any type of luxury car.
Old 10-09-2021 | 11:31 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

10 months for a regular Carrera? Things must be loosening up. Seriously though, alot of articles floating out there about how the premium brands, notably all the Europeans, are going to make this the "new normal" - cars mostly built to order, and a higher transaction price for them (and the dealers) for each one. And we aren't just talking about niche cars like the 911, they want to extend this model to everyday cars like C classes and 3/5 series BMWs. Even Alfa Romeo, who barely has any US sales at all, says they are going to do it for 2023. They are pivoting off this COVID/chip shortage thing, to change their business model and lock in these price increases for themselves. A 911 is one thing, but there isn't really anything special about a 3 series.
The entire industry is going to be largely build to order until the next recession...there is simply not enough manufacturing capacity to replenish the inventory depletion from the 3 month or so COVID shutdown until there is a 12 month plus decline in demand. Maintaining the current lack of discounting is a pipe dream, because the automakers will start competing with each other to gain market share the second they have the inventory to do so.

Last edited by malba2366; 10-09-2021 at 11:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by malba2366:
Cotechia (10-11-2021), SBAD (10-10-2021)
Old 10-10-2021 | 05:20 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

The only issue with this is that you lose out on all the sales of impulse buyers, which I think is a large portion of sales.

"Hello, welcome, is there anything in particular that you're looking for?

"Oh no, I'm just here to look around."

20mins later...

Would you like to add the paint treatment plan for $900, it's only $2/month for 450 months.
Old 10-10-2021 | 06:12 PM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by uniqueMR
Welcome to the New World
Is it a new world of how we buy cars? Manufacturers seem to think so. They want to sell cars at MSRP and they don't want to offer incentives to dealers or customers. They don't want to offer 0% financing or aggressive leases. They believe the paradigm has shifted, and are saying so openly now.
Old 10-10-2021 | 07:42 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by shrimp money
The only issue with this is that you lose out on all the sales of impulse buyers, which I think is a large portion of sales.

"Hello, welcome, is there anything in particular that you're looking for?

"Oh no, I'm just here to look around."

20mins later...

Would you like to add the paint treatment plan for $900, it's only $2/month for 450 months.
Yeah they lose that, but they probably gain from not having to finance expensive inventory for months and they gain by not having to have fire sales to move slow moving vehicles. In the rest of the world, vehicles are largely sold by order only...no reason it can't happen here..but it likely won't because the auto industry has always been cutthroat and all the automakers are fighting each other for "sales" which are booked when the dealer takes ownership of the vehicle.
Old 10-10-2021 | 09:41 PM
Thefullsend
Instructor

Originally Posted by c1pher
Well, that’s the issue. I had two dealers more than willing to hold my money for non-existent allocations they would give me once Porsche gave them one. Both wanted 10% of the build price. The dealer that actually had an allocation only wanted $5k and was able to provide a delivery date. So in reality it might as well be unobtanium. I’m not exactly sure what these dealers do with your money, maybe invest it? Use it for operating capital? Obviously they have to give it back when you figure out they’ll never get an allocation, so not sure why they do this.
While it's not as advantageous from an APR perspective as it once was, what dealers do is hold your money (and they are willing to take as much as they can get) and earn interest on it - it's free money for them.

Last edited by Thefullsend; 10-10-2021 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-11-2021 | 12:37 AM
Vista6019
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gohoos
I’m trying to maximize my odds so am on a couple of waitlists for a targa 4. In my spare time I call a dealer a week to see what their waitlist looks like. I found one today that had both a Dec and a Jan build available for a Targa 4s. Amazing! Definitely worth paying for the s upgrade to get something much sooner than I expected. I asked about process, deposit etc. Then comes the catch. A “market adjustment” of $50k! Holy cow. Are people actually paying these?
This is a tactic by some dealers aimed at "cash flow harvesting" as Porsche officially does not allow Dealers to put ADM on officially allocated inventory. Look for another dealer and give it a little time.
Old 10-11-2021 | 12:47 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gohoos
I’m trying to maximize my odds so am on a couple of waitlists for a targa 4. In my spare time I call a dealer a week to see what their waitlist looks like. I found one today that had both a Dec and a Jan build available for a Targa 4s. Amazing! Definitely worth paying for the s upgrade to get something much sooner than I expected. I asked about process, deposit etc. Then comes the catch. A “market adjustment” of $50k! Holy cow. Are people actually paying these?
Have you been living under a rock?
Old 10-11-2021 | 01:04 AM
nyca
Drifting

Originally Posted by Go Bruins
Is it a new world of how we buy cars? Manufacturers seem to think so. They want to sell cars at MSRP and they don't want to offer incentives to dealers or customers. They don't want to offer 0% financing or aggressive leases. They believe the paradigm has shifted, and are saying so openly now.
Indeed, they are trying to capitalize on the situation. Hopefully consumers will push back - a modern car can last a very long time, hopefully buyers just walk away and keep what they have. Buy out their leases and just move on.
Old 10-11-2021 | 01:39 AM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Indeed, they are trying to capitalize on the situation. Hopefully consumers will push back - a modern car can last a very long time, hopefully buyers just walk away and keep what they have. Buy out their leases and just move on.
Haha… this is my strategy… ride it out with the cars I’ve already got. I’m pretty convinced it’s a losing strategy. The more the ADMs climb the more I’m wanting a new car. Not sure I have the will power.
Old 10-11-2021 | 06:30 PM
Gohoos
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Have you been living under a rock?
that’s a little harsh. I was quoted 5-10k occasionally on an adm for a targa 4. But 50k for a jan build? That’s crazy. I really doubt anyone has paid that sort of adm for an allocation that doesn’t get them a car until March. It’s one thing if it is on the lot to satisfy a near term need for a price insensitive buyer.
Old 10-11-2021 | 07:58 PM
Drew46
Drifting

Two of the dealerships I spoke to said the same thing about their first Targa GTS build - $50K. But its one thing to say that and another thing to find someone to pay it. I can imagine there may be a couple or a few, but I am not convinced there are enough to account for all of the first allocations at each stealership.
Old 10-11-2021 | 09:16 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

There are still some dealers that will sell allocations at msrp. Especially if you live near PECLA or PECATL you can shop around. I passed on a Targa 4S allocation at msrp a month or two ago because at the time they wouldn’t take a build for euro delivery which I want to do. Working with same dealer to try and time it right for late spring/early summer ED 2022 now but allocations are so rare we’ll see if one comes through that works and I’m sure I’m not first in line at the moment.
Old 10-11-2021 | 10:29 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slc4s
There are still some dealers that will sell allocations at msrp. Especially if you live near PECLA or PECATL you can shop around.
How does proximity to PEC affect allocations?
Old 10-11-2021 | 10:42 PM
cp400m
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slc4s
There are still some dealers that will sell allocations at msrp. Especially if you live near PECLA or PECATL you can shop around. I passed on a Targa 4S allocation at msrp a month or two ago because at the time they wouldn’t take a build for euro delivery which I want to do. Working with same dealer to try and time it right for late spring/early summer ED 2022 now but allocations are so rare we’ll see if one comes through that works and I’m sure I’m not first in line at the moment.
I live by PECLA and I haven’t been able to find an allocation at MSRP.

Quick Reply: $50k dealer markup on targa 4s allocation!