Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk me into (or out of) a Targa

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2021 | 11:37 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Targas are wonderful, but you’re going to be hard pressed to get one right now within your budget.
Old 10-06-2021 | 02:20 AM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Whoever said don’t consider the back seats, many many many of us use them with small kids and from what I hear the Targa is not as usable. I love the Targa mechanism for its engineering but am not personally drawn to the looks (that’s personal preference) or the detracting elements, weight, higher center of gravity. Personally too the Coupe give you the ability to get the most options within your budget due to the lower starting price. I had a 997 Cab and now have a 992 Coupe and love it. The Cab was nice but I’m not an open top guy. That said like someone else pointed out, the couple with windows open and sunroof open will be much like a Targa, but for less and with better back seats. I’d get the Coupe.

EDIT: Looked at the builds. One nice thing about the S Coupe is that you are able to get the Sport Suspension. The Targa doesn't offer that. I spec'd my 992 Coupe with SPASM and a manual and its great.

Last edited by 3rdpedal; 10-06-2021 at 02:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Steve 96C4S (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021 | 03:34 AM
becauseitis
Instructor

I just got my 992 Targa 4s. So, a little biased; however, if you can get an allocation my opinion says get it. While you are driving, you get the same experience as the cab; i had a 997 cab and it feels like the same open air experience- sitting in the drivers seat that is. Buffeting like others have said, is minimal if non existent if you slightly lower the windows. The added beauty of the Targa is the huge glass back which gives you the great view out the back and the looks of the that beautiful glass. Also, with the roof closed, you would be hard pressed to differentiate between the coupe and the Targa. Yes, there is a little more weight; however, unless you are out there competing on the track, it does not matter in real life. Plus, it's a joy to show your friends and family at least once, the engineering feat of the roof open and close mechanism. Could not be happier with my choice, but all 911's are a true joy.
The following 2 users liked this post by becauseitis:
Gables (01-17-2022), Go Bruins (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021 | 07:09 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

I've had both. Went back to a cab from my '17 Targa 4S.
Targa:
1. "Cooler" and better looking to many. Trick top never got old watching.
2. Better rearward visibility.
3. Unable to provide full top down experience.
Cab:
1. I tolerate the fabric top but would much prefer a retractable hardtop even with the increased weight up top. No matter what I have done, they all crease.
2. Option of roof up with decent acoustics, top down/windows and wind screen up for Targa like experience re: cabin noise and buffeting or full top down wind and noise all over (which Targa can not provide).
3. Top can be opened or closed up to 30 mph, while Targa should be at a stop ("up to 4mph"). I found the difference to be significant (to me).
Old 10-06-2021 | 12:04 PM
F1Fan2010
Advanced

Thanks, everyone, for the input.

The scarcity of allocations is certainly an issue. The dealer I am working with has pledged no ADM on any of these models, but believes it would be a Q2 delivery for the coupe or cab and Q3 or even Q4, 2022 delivery for the Targa. I am not in a huge hurry and plan to keep the car for a long time, so the additional 6 mo wait doesn’t matter too much if I end up going with the Targa.

As several people have mentioned, I do wonder how close the open-top Targa is to a coupe with Sunroof open and windows down (my coupe build has the glass sunroof because I like the contrast of the black roof on the GT silver body). If it is indeed relatively similar, then paying an additional $20K for the Targa seems even less desirable. Has anyone experienced both?
Old 10-06-2021 | 01:42 PM
Hormazd Dalal
Racer

I haven't driven a Targa, but never considered it. While it has a story woven in Porsche history, I just didnt think it looked that good. I also read and saw reviews about buffeting at certain speeds.

I am very happy with Cab. Driven it in several temperature ranges. Top down windows down, is the classic roadster experience, but then top down wind deflector and windows up, is a cozy big sunroof kind of feeling. Finally if you truly enjoy the top down, you absolutely must be able to do it without parking the car. I commute to downtown Los Angeles. The mornings are beautiful and the top is down, until I hit the traffic downtown. The top goes up as the freeway slows. The last couple of days we have had lightening and thunder showers. Beautiful weather for top down if you you are not under it. The Targa would have been a "fail". And the Cab with roof down looks gorgeous.
Old 10-06-2021 | 01:47 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by F1Fan2010
Thanks, everyone, for the input.

The scarcity of allocations is certainly an issue. The dealer I am working with has pledged no ADM on any of these models, but believes it would be a Q2 delivery for the coupe or cab and Q3 or even Q4, 2022 delivery for the Targa. I am not in a huge hurry and plan to keep the car for a long time, so the additional 6 mo wait doesn’t matter too much if I end up going with the Targa.

As several people have mentioned, I do wonder how close the open-top Targa is to a coupe with Sunroof open and windows down (my coupe build has the glass sunroof because I like the contrast of the black roof on the GT silver body). If it is indeed relatively similar, then paying an additional $20K for the Targa seems even less desirable. Has anyone experienced both?
Before I got my 992tts, I had a 991.1 targa4S and 991.1turboS (with sunroof) simultaneously for a few years - both were wonderful, but having the targa roof open was much more open than having the turbo sunroof open - far more like a cabriolet.
Old 10-06-2021 | 02:12 PM
Domoic
Rennlist Member

If you have to be "talked into" a Targa, it is not for you.
The following 5 users liked this post by Domoic:
Chalk Talk (10-06-2021), Go Bruins (10-06-2021), porschedood5000 (09-08-2023), slwong23 (10-06-2021), T3X4S (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021 | 02:31 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Domoic
If you have to be "talked into" a Targa, it is not for you.
This, 100%. Targas, like to convertibles, are unique and one really has to want/appreciate the experience they offer. If you need convincing, you're better off going in a different direction.
porschedood5000 (09-08-2023)
Old 10-06-2021 | 02:48 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

What would kill the Cab as a choice for me besides its looks which top-down I can't stand, is the lack of a manual option. No manual, no 911 for me. Thankfully the C2S I have on order is spec'd with a 7 speed manual tranny.
Tedster (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021 | 03:13 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

you can get a cab with a manual in the same trims as the coupe
Cotechia (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021 | 04:09 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Not even close. The Targa is FAR more open than a sunroof coupe, it’s just not a full cab. Remember, not only is the top completely open to air, there that huge piece of glass behind you.
Old 10-06-2021 | 04:24 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

I sat in a Targa with roof down and I have a carrera S w/ sunroof. The coupe's glass sunroof is the tiniest sunroof I've ever experienced in any car. It also doesn't help that the front windshield is heavily angled so the sunroof opening sits almost behind your head further diminishing the open air feeling. I haven't had a sunroofed car in a while before my Porsche but if I were to option a 2022 model, I'd definitely pass on it. The only reason I got the sunroof was because I needed to be able to install a roof rack. The 2022 models let you install a roof rack with a $60 roof transport option. This wasn't available on 2021s.

BTW, specing a glass sunroof does not give you a completely black roof. The body panels in front and behind the glass sunroof are body color, not black like on the 2020 and 2021 models. I know the configurator shows these panels as being black, but it's fake news.
Old 10-06-2021 | 04:47 PM
Drew46
Drifting

You should not get the Targa. Nobody should. People waiting for an allocation should switch to Coupe or Cab immediately. All of these things will help me get my Targa GTS allocation sooner!

I happen to love the Targa, but it can be a very polarizing point - people tend to love it or hate it.

One point to consider: several people noted the inability to open/close the top when moving. That is due to the US regulation that does not allow the car to be operable when the rear lights (taillights, brake lights, cyclops and turn signals) are blocked. Of course, there is a solution. There is at least one provider of an override module that allows you to raise/lower the roof up to 15KM and also lows you to operated the roof from the keyfob:

mods4cars Online Shop
"In addition to this function, the module for the Porsche 911 Targa (991) also offers the option of opening and closing the top using the interior button in the vehicle with just one push of a button. With the latest update, it is now also possible to operate the top while driving at a speed of up to 15 km/h"
Old 10-06-2021 | 05:22 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Targa opening is comparable to a Boxster opening. At least that's my perspective, having both. They are "heavy" but with rear steer feel very good and nimble, and will scoot around a track.

Last edited by Ksdaoski; 10-06-2021 at 05:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Talk me into (or out of) a Targa