Sponsored by:

4 With Manual

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 08:07 AM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bean
It really depends on the location and who is plowing. We have a vacation house in Northern Maine, and access is via a private road maintained by the road association. I’ve seen storms dumping more than 12 inches at a time. If the guy we who plows cannot get to it right away the road will be impassible except by snowmobile. He would plow it eventually later in the day.

the other scenario is seasonal roads that do not get plowed at all during the winter. It is always fun trying to figure out at which point in the spring the snow is sufficiently thawed to drive on. One year my truck got stuck. I tried towing the truck with two snowmobiles but it would not budge. I ended up waiting a few days before I could drive out.

The other scenario I occasionally encounter is early in the winter on the private road that is plowed when there is snow cover and then it rains and subsequently the road freezes. You get sheer ice that is impossible to drive on with any vehicle short of a studded snowmobile. In this scenario, just a little dusting of snow typically binds with the ice and the road is passible again.
Options are becoming quite scarce to save the manuals. We have a house in stowe and understand that the conditions can get quite hairy and a car such as a 911 would not be the most ideal because it's so low. I've had an e91 manual wagon as well as a 958 manual cayenne which was a tank in winter whiteout conditions with winter rubber.

For the really heavy conditions, I think your only manual options are a jeep or a base bronco. 911 as your only car in winter is courageous to say the least
Old 10-14-2021, 12:43 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

I love the folks running around in the snow and ice and crap in their SUVs thinking that they are invincible. Yes, your 4-wheel or all wheel drive and clearance will help you get up that hill, but that high center of gravity and oversized tire is actually a detriments when trying to stop or go in your intended direction. I would rather have a capable ADW sedan any day for the average plowed roads. In bad conditions, I would choose the Subaru Legacy I bought my son over the Jeep Cherokee I bought my daughter any day.

Last edited by Drew46; 10-14-2021 at 12:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 02:27 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,188 Likes on 3,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
I love the folks running around in the snow and ice and crap in their SUVs thinking that they are invincible. Yes, your 4-wheel or all wheel drive and clearance will help you get up that hill, but that high center of gravity and oversized tire is actually a detriments when trying to stop or go in your intended direction. I would rather have a capable ADW sedan any day for the average plowed roads. In bad conditions, I would choose the Subaru Legacy I bought my son over the Jeep Cherokee I bought my daughter any day.
Word! I have plenty of SUVs with all season tires stuck in a ditch or unable to climb a hill that I could easily make it up in RWD car with proper tires.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:01 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by chong0
911 as your only car in winter is courageous to say the least
I don't feel courageous using our 911 as the only car in winter...no choice as it's (currently) the only car we have. Living smack dab in the centre of a city makes it a little easier as roads get ploughed early, but even with snowfalls measured in feet last year, there were zero problems getting around. There is no question the car can do hardcore winter duty; the issue is whether the owner has the mindset to do winter in a 911. Once the leap is made from "oooh...scary concept" to "sounds like fun...why the heck not?" a 911 can reveal itself to be WAY more fun to drive in winter than summer.
detansinn (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 06:38 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,622 Likes on 822 Posts

I am curious about winter driving but what stops me is:

1. I already have a winter DD so, why bother?
2. I guess I’d rather not spend the $6k to buy the winter wheel and tire set
3. If I drive my car to work, it has only outdoor parking. Not ideal for Jan and Feb
gcurnew (10-17-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 07:51 PM
Mr Bean
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
I don't feel courageous using our 911 as the only car in winter...no choice as it's (currently) the only car we have. Living smack dab in the centre of a city makes it a little easier as roads get ploughed early, but even with snowfalls measured in feet last year, there were zero problems getting around. There is no question the car can do hardcore winter duty; the issue is whether the owner has the mindset to do winter in a 911. Once the leap is made from "oooh...scary concept" to "sounds like fun...why the heck not?" a 911 can reveal itself to be WAY more fun to drive in winter than summer.
I am on the other extreme - we have a second home in the middle of nowhere in Maine, so access by car can be problematic if the road is not plowed early enough in the day. But I do have options - I do not commute when we are there, and if I need to go to town for groceries, for example, I can go by snowmobile, so there is that.
detansinn (10-14-2021)

Quick Reply: 4 With Manual