Sponsored by:

4 With Manual

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 01:50 PM
ctdubl07
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
Where in VT? I am in Westchester and make the trip to Mt Snow just about every weekend (other than the wet season in May).
HA!! We have a home at Carinthia...there every wknd Tgiving thru 4/1 accept for trip out West each Feb.
Fingers crossed and I'll buy you a beer in the Tap Room this season.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:29 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,652 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by ctdubl07
HA!! We have a home at Carinthia...there every wknd Tgiving thru 4/1 accept for trip out West each Feb.
Fingers crossed and I'll buy you a beer in the Tap Room this season.
Sounds like a plan. We are in Timber Creek. Maybe I will see you at Octoberfest on Saturday.
Old 10-04-2021, 11:45 PM
Mr Bean
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

We have a second home on a lake in northern Maine and we spend a lot of time there in the winter. It is in the middle of nowhere and the last three miles to the house are on a dirt road that doubles as a snowmobile trail. It is not sanded and a few inches of snow is left on the ground during plowing to accommodate the snowmobiles. The area is also very hilly with steep inclines. I cannot imagine not having a four wheel drive and sometimes even that does not work - on a few occasions (usually early winter when the temperatures are not consistently below freezing) - you get rain on top of the snow that then freezes and you cannot drive anything on it. Studded winter tires, chains, nothing works. You typically figure that out when you cannot make the first hill, start sliding backwards. Flip the truck around and try to run it into the snow bank in order to slow her down. Then backtrack very carefully, leave the truck in town and ask your neighbor to give you a ride to your house on his snowmobile so you can get your snowmobile and skid and transport everybody and everything from your truck to the house.

Actually, I once had trouble on that road even with a snowmobile, but have subsequently studded the tracks on both of my snowmobiles and now they will go through anything.

In that background, as much as I always wanted to buy a 911, I am not sure if even the 4 will do. I don’t want to have a third car between me and my wife as none of us commute, and we almost don’t need two vehicles as it is. Also, between the two trucks, snowmobiles, outboard motors, chainsaws, etc. I don’t want to have yet another thing to take care of. So I will have to trade the current truck for a 911 S4 with a manual transmission. (I won’t get a sports car with an auto transmission on principle, so will have to go to the S even though I don’t need the extra power.) Not sure if one can even put studs on a set of winter tires as it looks like there is only one brand of winter tires to choose from on tire rack. Also, not sure how the permanent 4 will work compared with the true 4WD on my truck.

Old 10-05-2021, 11:47 AM
BillyX
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bean
Also, not sure how the permanent 4 will work compared with the true 4WD on my truck.
Apples and oranges. A 4 or 4S with the right tires and traction/stability control will be winter capable. But, it's still a sports car and it lacks the ground clearance and weight of a truck for those hills. The conditions you describe are a Snow Day and I stay home. Otherwise, you will need that 3rd car.
Old 10-05-2021, 12:42 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Originally Posted by BillyX
Apples and oranges. A 4 or 4S with the right tires and traction/stability control will be winter capable. But, it's still a sports car and it lacks the ground clearance and weight of a truck for those hills. The conditions you describe are a Snow Day and I stay home. Otherwise, you will need that 3rd car.
Nonsense. A 4/4S with Winter tires is practically a snowmobile. The weight over the rear wheels makes even a RWD 911 more than capable with the right tires. You don’t need AWD to drive a 911 in the snow. You just need the right tires.
The following users liked this post:
991Targa4S (10-14-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 12:49 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It’s important to note that driving a 911 in the snow is nothing like driving a front-engined RWD sports car like a Corvette that doesn’t have any weight over the rear wheels. There are advantages to the rear engine configuration on snow and other loose surfaces.
aggie57 (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 01:28 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
It’s important to note that driving a 911 in the snow is nothing like driving a front-engined RWD sports car like a Corvette that doesn’t have any weight over the rear wheels. There are advantages to the rear engine configuration on snow and other loose surfaces.
Absolutely, 911's are magnificent loose surface / gravel road vehicles. Just need the right tyres and the right mindset. Hell, even on p-zero's they're fun.
detansinn (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 02:56 PM
Mr Bean
Instructor

Right, makes sense. My only other experience with a RWD sports car was an M3 I had in the late 90s'. I did not have a house in the woods back then but even in the city I would sometime get stuck on level terrain at a traffic light. I was leasing it at the time and never changed the tires so I believe I had the summer Michelin tires that the manual coupe came with back then.
detansinn (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 04:59 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 167 Posts

With the right tires, 911s are awesome in the snow.
Not if it is deep snow. Ice is another thing, no problem if you have good winter tires, as with up to 6" of snow. For deep snow I agree with another poster: get a Jeep!
Old 10-05-2021, 08:31 PM
Mr Bean
Instructor

Not worried about deep snow. Nothing really works in unplowed deep snow where I am at. You only attempt plowed roads. Anything unplowed may seem like firm surface for snowmobiling but ends up being 4+ feet deep. Anything but a snowmobile gets stuck.

detansinn (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 09:39 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tedster
Not if it is deep snow. Ice is another thing, no problem if you have good winter tires, as with up to 6" of snow. For deep snow I agree with another poster: get a Jeep!
It is rare to encounter more than 4-5” of unplowed snow on a road in the Northeast providing that you don’t live some place particularly remote. I am lucky to have an automatic heated driveway, so no worries when I get back to the house. 👍
Old 10-06-2021, 06:53 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 708 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
Don’t you guys worry about road salt corrosion?
Damn right I worry about salt corrosion. And I am not talking about body rust-through which is a non-issue for all modern cars. Every single exposed (unpainted or treated) metal component will eventually get coated with salt and over time, will experience corrosion. Things like brake calipers, hose clamps, exhaust clamps, various bolts, etc. will rust. And this is accelerated when there are disparate metals touching (causing electrolysis). If you plan to own the car for 2-3 years, no big deal. But I keep my cars much longer. Take a look under your 992, notice some of the exposed wires connecting to solenoids, sensors, etc. and tell me salt won't make a difference. Chicago is like New Jersey, the cities LOVE to pour the salt everywhere at just the hint of snow. Every snow-driven car I owned had to have multiple premature brake repairs because of caliper rust, freezing pistons, etc. My winter car just had its alternator replaced - it seized from salt corrosion. My 911 will stay in the garage when the salt is flowing.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:57 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 708 Likes on 278 Posts

It is rare to encounter more than 4-5” of unplowed snow on a road in the Northeast providing that you don’t live some place particularly remote. I am lucky to have an automatic heated driveway, so no worries when I get back to the house. 👍
Don't know where you live, but here in north central New Jersey, I have faced occasional bad (deep) snow conditions every year since I moved here from California in 2003. Maybe the snow looks deeper coming from California
Old 10-06-2021, 07:29 PM
Mr Bean
Instructor

Originally Posted by SBAD
Don't know where you live, but here in north central New Jersey, I have faced occasional bad (deep) snow conditions every year since I moved here from California in 2003. Maybe the snow looks deeper coming from California
It really depends on the location and who is plowing. We have a vacation house in Northern Maine, and access is via a private road maintained by the road association. I’ve seen storms dumping more than 12 inches at a time. If the guy we who plows cannot get to it right away the road will be impassible except by snowmobile. He would plow it eventually later in the day.

the other scenario is seasonal roads that do not get plowed at all during the winter. It is always fun trying to figure out at which point in the spring the snow is sufficiently thawed to drive on. One year my truck got stuck. I tried towing the truck with two snowmobiles but it would not budge. I ended up waiting a few days before I could drive out.

The other scenario I occasionally encounter is early in the winter on the private road that is plowed when there is snow cover and then it rains and subsequently the road freezes. You get sheer ice that is impossible to drive on with any vehicle short of a studded snowmobile. In this scenario, just a little dusting of snow typically binds with the ice and the road is passible again.
SBAD (10-06-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 03:03 AM
991Targa4S
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 115 Posts

As far as corrosion goes, real experience no guessing;

11 years & 122,000 miles thru snow washing my car less than once a month and there was no rust underneath the car. I personally did my own service so I can attest that all my brakes and aluminum suspension and subframes and chassis were all with NO rust.

May seem like abuse to the collectors but i own my cars they don’t own me. I loved that car and took care of it. I changed my oil at 5000 miles, and put PPF on the front nose. I cleaned and lubed the shift linkages ever oil change.

There are limits to using it in absolute crazy storms. If its an inch of ice over 12 inches of powder in a remote cabin yea get a truck with a lift and studded tires. If you have a municipality that plows the road and you want to drive it 365 days a year it’s possible. A 4x4 truck is better equipped for snow no doubt but your Porsche is NOT going to rust. If you clean it weekly it is NOT GOING TO RUST!

If its part of a collection and you got other cars to drive then thats the way to go but theres many types of Porsche owners.

If you wonder what Porsche thinks follow the link.

https://experience.porsche.com/en/ic...ice-experience

Last edited by 991Targa4S; 10-14-2021 at 03:08 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 991Targa4S:
aggie57 (10-14-2021), detansinn (10-14-2021)

Quick Reply: 4 With Manual