Sponsored by:

Confirmed 2022 GTS Allocation, Build Locking Soon

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 09:31 AM
AJ_Tokyo
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Confirmed 2022 GTS Allocation, Build Locking Soon

Hello everyone, long-time lurker, first-time poster.

First, a little background:
Like many of us, the 911 has been my dream car since I was a kid, and I was finally in the position to consider one this year. I got myself set up with a V070 order request (no deposit) for a C2 at my local dealer here in Tokyo back in March, with the understanding that it would be at least a year wait even back then; I purchased a 2021 Boxster GTS 4.0 that the dealer had in stock to "tide me over" while waiting, which was my first Porsche (and I love it!).
I got a call in August that my request did not result in an allocation in the July batch that the dealer got; so I resigned myself to more waiting while at the same time noticing that the 992 GTS had also been announced.
Then, earlier this month I was informed of something surprising - my dealer had a customer back out of a 2022 Carrera 4 GTS allocation and would I like to take it?

I know normally no one would cross-shop the C2 and the GTS, and I would usually not choose the AWD (not that there is anything wrong with it, I just don't particularly need it here), but with the current state of things and a likely 2-year wait now for a C2 allocation, it was too good not to jump on.
Also, although the prices here are much higher than in the US (I'm jealous of you guys over there!), they are about exactly the same as the home-market German prices and my dealer is offering a generous 6% off of MSRP.
So here I am, with a V200 confirmed allocation for a 2022 C4GTS with a November build date!
The build locks on October 10th, so I thought I would ask the advice of experienced 992 owners here on this forum regarding any advice you might have on my build.

Build code can be found here (note, I did this in the international configurator, as the Porsche Japan local configurator is only in Japanese):
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNSKJ2H6

A couple of points to note - first, the following options are all standard on Japan-market 992s and cannot be removed:
- Electric folding exterior mirrors incl. courtesy lighting
- Automatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensor
- ParkAssist incl. Surround View
- Porsche Entry
- Seat heating (front)

Second, the element I am most unsure about are the 14-way seats. I sat in (but did not drive) the 14-ways in a CPO 992 at the dealer, and I drove the 18-ways in the dealer test drive car but not very spiritedly - both were supremely comfortable, the 18-ways being more snug of course. I felt the difference in bolstering improvement in the 18-ways, but I also did not slide around in the 14-ways when swaying back and forth inside the CPO car (granted I am not a small guy, at 6 ft / 182 cm and 240 lb / 110 kg).
I really have my heart set on the 930 package (love the look and feel of the quilting, especially on the doors) and purely subjectively I prefer the shape and looks of the 14-ways with the 930 package over the 18s, and my wife and I also prefer the leather backs of the 14s over the plastic of the 18s. That said, I can't help but feel that the 14-ways go slightly against the sporty atmosphere that the GTS creates on the outside - does an aggressive exterior with a "luxurious" interior work well in your opinion?
I tell myself that if the 14-ways as standard are good enough for the Turbo, they should be good enough for me, but I would really appreciate second opinions because I am fully into analysis paralysis with this particular item.
I have the Sports Plus 2-ways in my BGTS4.0 and I really like them, if that makes any difference.
Since I'll keep the Boxster, should I differentiate with a more "relaxing" seat in the 14-way to match the 992's larger interior space, or go with the 18-ways since I know I like the Sports Plus in my Boxster?

As for everything else, totally open to suggestions although I feel I have everything pretty much to my liking - wife and I like the yellow, and we like the slate/crayon interior because we wanted a change of pace (Boxster has standard black interior).
Everything else is just what I wanted to spec since I'm spending this much; not going crazy, but not leaving off anything that I would regret not having later.
I did not add Lane Change Assist as I have it in the Boxster and find it distracting - the roads are so narrow here that it will go off when nothing is around! (reacting to guard rails or electrical poles I imagine)

Anyway, thanks for reading this long first post and I very much appreciate any advice or suggestions!

Best wishes,
AJ
The following 2 users liked this post by AJ_Tokyo:
audi4t (09-29-2021), PorscheGTSFan (10-01-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 11:09 PM
AJ_Tokyo
Advanced

Looking back on the config, a couple more observations on what I chose:

- RAS: heard this helps the turning radius at low speeds, which will be nice for U-turns in the city. Also interested to see how it performs on track (I had the chance to drive a 992 Turbo spiritedly at PEC Tokyo, and I liked the way it handled with AWD and 4WS so I added this)

- Power Steering Plus: I know this is considered unnecessary by many; my Boxster has it and I test drove a 992 C2 that did not and I could immediately tell the difference for low-speed parking maneuvers. I am very much the target audience for this since I park in an underground garage with tight turns and tighter spaces.

- Exclusive Design Taillights: My SA was able to confirm that, since the GTS comes standard with the clear lenses, this simply makes the "gills" at the sides of the taillights light up; this is standard when the Exclusive Design Taillights are specified on non-GTS 992s, but for some reason Porsche cheapened out on the GTS so this has to be added to make it on par with clear taillights on other 992s.

- Porsche InnoDrive including adaptive cruise control: don't know how much I'll use this, but I often run into bumper-to-bumper traffic when taking excursions out of the city so hoping the Traffic Jam Assist will be useful

- Ioniser: could take it or leave it; wife often complains about outside smells here in the city

- Light design package: not really sure if I need this or not (nights are very bright here unless going out into the countryside); have it in my Boxster and can't say I ever noticed. Added it here since it seems the only way to get lighting in the backseat for fishing out items stored there at night?

- Seat ventilation (front): Have this in the Boxster and love it (especially with the top down); even in a coupe it will be nice as summers here can easily reach 100 F / 38 C

- Seat Belts racing yellow: wanted to bring a bit of color into the neutral cabin and wife likes them; didn't do gauges/Sport Chrono clock in yellow for legibility and reflection reasons

- Leather Package 930: not a necessity at all, but I really like how it looks on the doors and seats (especially with the 14-ways) so it's just a cosmetic touch

- Model Logo on Storage Compartment Lid / Porsche Crest on Headrests: purely cosmetic personalization; figured since I lose the "GTS" embroidery on the headrests might as well add it on the armrest

- Sun Visors Leather: would get Race-Tex to match the headliner, but Race-Tex visors only come in black (headliner is grey), so leather it is

- Cupholder Trim Leather: no one seems to notice the difference in texture but me, so probably completely unnecessary, but cheap (in Porsche terms) so why not?

- Door Trim Package Leather: I could easily lose this, especially since I don't have deviated stitching there, but I just prefer the look of the inner door handles with this option over the default. More cosmetic personalization.

- Roof lining in Race-Tex: I hate that this is optional at this price, but feels like a necessity when going with this much leather in the interior

- BOSE® Surround Sound System: general consensus is this is the sweet spot choice; honestly not sure how much I'll be able to hear it with the decreased sound deadening and louder PSE in the GTS, so I could potentially drop this. My Boxster has the standard stereo and it's fine (surprisingly good bass) since sound quality is pretty meaningless with the top down. In a coupe, I'm thinking maybe there is some benefit.

As mentioned above my biggest question mark right now is the 14-ways; I do go to the track 3-4 times a year (I've been 3 times in the Boxster, Fuji x2 and Suzuka, and before that in my previous M2 Comp) and want to continue doing so in the 992 C4GTS, so I'm torn on if I "need" the 18-ways for those 4 out of 365 days a year.
I had the highly adjustable (20-way??) seats in the M2 and never really touched them except to slide the seat back for egress.

Anyway I know all of these choices are subjective, but always good to get opinions from those who have lived with these cars.
Thanks again in advance for any input!
Old 09-30-2021, 11:07 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

You cannot imagine how much I hope you are correct that you have a "confirmed allocation" for a GTS. That would be good news for many of us!
Old 09-30-2021, 12:29 PM
AJ_Tokyo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Drew46
You cannot imagine how much I hope you are correct that you have a "confirmed allocation" for a GTS. That would be good news for many of us!
Hey Drew46, thanks for the comment!
Yes I was skeptical at first too but my SA has shown me his screen showing a V200 status so I’m assuming it’s legit.
I’m going in tomorrow to do the paperwork so I’ll see if I can grab a picture of his dealer interface screen for posterity.

I’ve seen from threads here on RL that the US hasn’t had any GTS allocations yet, which is unfortunate; apparently some have been released in limited numbers for other regions. (The US makes up for it by being much cheaper though!)

I’ll certainly try to provide any information I can if that will be helpful for those planning to order a GTS.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:36 PM
voyagez.fr
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 45 Posts

Just wondering what you mean by paperwork? Does this mean creating the purchase contract. If so I always thought that you can’t finalize the transaction into the vehicle arrives?

Originally Posted by AJ_Tokyo
Hey Drew46, thanks for the comment!
Yes I was skeptical at first too but my SA has shown me his screen showing a V200 status so I’m assuming it’s legit.
I’m going in tomorrow to do the paperwork so I’ll see if I can grab a picture of his dealer interface screen for posterity.

I’ve seen from threads here on RL that the US hasn’t had any GTS allocations yet, which is unfortunate; apparently some have been released in limited numbers for other regions. (The US makes up for it by being much cheaper though!)

I’ll certainly try to provide any information I can if that will be helpful for those planning to order a GTS.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:56 PM
dangla
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 6 Posts

I also have a confirmed allocation for a GTS 4 Cabriolet - delivery in february, i am located in Denmark.
Old 09-30-2021, 04:45 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 190 Posts

How about anyone in the US?
Old 09-30-2021, 05:31 PM
dmacker
Advanced

Received 117 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ENCT
How about anyone in the US?
That’s the million dollar question.
Old 09-30-2021, 05:53 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

Called the SA at a dealership where I am "on the list" and he said nothing yet. He is hoping to hear in October.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:35 PM
AJ_Tokyo
Advanced

Originally Posted by voyagez.fr
Just wondering what you mean by paperwork? Does this mean creating the purchase contract. If so I always thought that you can’t finalize the transaction into the vehicle arrives?
Good question - I don’t know about other dealers in other regions, but at my Tokyo dealer it is a 2-step process: first, a “purchase order” of sorts is made with the build sheet that I sign to show my intent to order and buy the car, along with a small deposit once the build is locked; second, when the car comes in the remainder of the purchase price is due and I sign the forms to take delivery.

I’m going in a few hours to do the former, and then build locks on a October 10 after which deposit is due.

My build date is in November (I will check on the specific timing today), so normally delivery would be in January or February but my SA warned that there could be further delays due to parts shortages or shipping issues.
We shall see…
Old 09-30-2021, 07:41 PM
AJ_Tokyo
Advanced

Originally Posted by dangla
I also have a confirmed allocation for a GTS 4 Cabriolet - delivery in february, i am located in Denmark.
Good to know! Do you happen to know your build date? We could be leaving the factory at similar times.

I’m sorry to hear that there don’t seem to be allocations in the US yet - it’s the biggest market for sure so perhaps they are doing a “test run” with other regions first before setting aside a large number for the US? I’m sure it will be soon, although who knows with Porsche and its mysterious ways.
Old 10-01-2021, 05:51 AM
AJ_Tokyo
Advanced

Went to dealer today to confirm build (for now) and also confirmed the allocation status as V200 (see attached, sorry for Japanese, vehicle status is listed as “V200: order successful”)
Unfortunately lock date was pushed back from October 10 to November 16 and build date pushed back from November until December (week 51 to be exact), so it seems that things are still not completely set for the GTS yet.
Hope that’s helpful.

The following 2 users liked this post by AJ_Tokyo:
PorscheGTSFan (10-01-2021), slwong23 (10-01-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 10:19 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 72 Posts

My SA is saying US allocations will be issued “by” the 15th….
The following users liked this post:
stopngo (10-01-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 07:59 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
My SA is saying US allocations will be issued “by” the 15th….
The questions is which month?
Old 12-04-2021, 11:44 PM
Oralsur
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allocations for Targa 4 GTS

Originally Posted by Drew46
Called the SA at a dealership where I am "on the list" and he said nothing yet. He is hoping to hear in October.
Does anyone know if allocations for the 2022 911 Targa 4 GTS have even been released?? I’m on the waiting list at 2 dealerships MI & TX.

Quick Reply: Confirmed 2022 GTS Allocation, Build Locking Soon