Sponsored by:

Discrepancy between lock dates - dealer vs TYD

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 12:33 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 520 Posts
Default Discrepancy between lock dates - dealer vs TYD

I originally had a lock date of 7/28/21 on my 992 TTS. More than a few people were reporting that their lock dates were getting pushed back to a later date. I contacted my dealer via email on 8/20/21 to see if the order was, in fact, locked as I wanted to change my exterior color from Chalk to Shark Blue. The dealer responded via email that it was locked.

I hadn’t gotten my TYD information and reached out to Porsche NA. They responded a day ago and I was finally able to access TYD. The most current status on TYD is that my freeze date milestone was reached on 9/17/21

So now I’m wondering what the actual freeze date was and if I could have changed my exterior color when I inquired in August. I have emailed Porsche to see what the real freeze date was. I’m relatively sure they’re not going to let me make the switch at this point but has anyone else seen a large discrepancy between what their dealer stated was the freeze date and what TYD was showing?

Last edited by Dr. G; 09-25-2021 at 12:46 AM.
Old 09-25-2021, 12:52 AM
breny4104
Burning Brakes

Received 509 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I originally had a lock date of 7/28/21 on my 992 TTS. More than a few people were reporting that their lock dates were getting pushed back to a later date. I contacted my dealer via email on 8/20/21 to see if the order was, in fact, locked as I wanted to change my exterior color from Chalk to Shark Blue. The dealer responded via email that it was locked.

I hadn’t gotten my TYD information and reached out to Porsche NA. They responded a day ago and I was finally able to access TYD. The most current status on TYD is that my freeze date milestone was reached on 9/17/21

So now I’m wondering what the actual freeze date was and if I could have changed my exterior color when I inquired in August. I have emailed Porsche to see what the real freeze date was. I’m relatively sure they’re not going to let me make the switch at this point but has anyone else seen a large discrepancy between what their dealer stated was the freeze date and what TYD was showing?
If your original build date was in September then your freeze date may well have been in August and may have been delayed. Also, if your freeze date is 9/17 then your build date probably isn't until mid October.
Old 09-25-2021, 12:53 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by breny4104
If your original build date was in September then your freeze date may well have been in August and may have been delayed. Also, if your freeze date is 9/17 then your build date probably isn't until mid October.
The only thing I can tell you is that, as of now, TYD is showing 70 days to delivery and it doesn’t look like the car has entered production as of yet.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:03 AM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Received 858 Likes on 396 Posts

The only thing I can tell you is that, as of now, TYD is showing 70 days to delivery and it doesn’t look like the car has entered production as of yet.
I have 71 days to delivery and production is scheduled to begin on 10/15.
Old 09-25-2021, 12:01 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by audi4t
I have 71 days to delivery and production is scheduled to begin on 10/15.
What was your freeze date?
Old 09-25-2021, 12:57 PM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Received 858 Likes on 396 Posts

What was your freeze date?
my freeze date was 9/17
Old 09-25-2021, 01:29 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by audi4t
my freeze date was 9/17
This is why I’m upset. I should have been able to make the exterior color change I inquired about on 8/20. I have no idea why the dealer told me (in writing via email) that my build was locked and no other changes could be made.

I doubt Porsche will let me change the color to shark Blue at this point - which is the change I wanted to make on 8/20.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:55 PM
chemsales
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 14 Posts

I would think that if you haven’t reached Production Scheduled phase that there is a chance to make the change. Your dealer ought to jump in and push hard for you. Sounds like they were trying to protect a vanilla dealer spec.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:03 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,504 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Originally Posted by chemsales
I would think that if you haven’t reached Production Scheduled phase that there is a chance to make the change. Your dealer ought to jump in and push hard for you. Sounds like they were trying to protect a vanilla dealer spec.
I really doubt it was intentional. Most likely incompetence, if anything.

Some RL’ers have been able to make changes post lock but it’s not a given. I have a very good dealer relationship and we did some tricky things in getting my build allocated and coordinated around a PTS slot and they weren’t able to add on options after the PTS pseudo-lock.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:58 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Dealer has acknowledged that the wrong freeze date was provided to me. It's still unclear if the fault is with the dealer or with Porsche. Whether they can do anything about the change I was planning to make mid-August is still up in the air.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:41 AM
Captain P
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 256 Posts

Dealer has acknowledged that the wrong freeze date was provided to me. It's still unclear if the fault is with the dealer or with Porsche. Whether they can do anything about the change I was planning to make mid-August is still up in the air.
tell them to mail you a pdf of their production tracker. It shows the actual dates Porsche sent to them in a tabular format
Old 09-30-2021, 05:40 AM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

This is why I’m upset. I should have been able to make the exterior color change I inquired about on 8/20. I have no idea why the dealer told me (in writing via email) that my build was locked and no other changes could be made.

I doubt Porsche will let me change the color to shark Blue at this point - which is the change I wanted to make on 8/20.
I originally wanted to make a change to my spec, but my SA told me my build had locked. I pushed a little harder and found out that, my build had not locked (still had a couple of weeks), but that if I were to make any changes, it might further delay my production. My guess, the dealership doesn't want any longer delays because they want the car delivered and get paid for.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:56 PM
bboerit
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I would understand Porsche not wanting to make changes post freeze if you were requesting options like different wheels, etc since suppliers and logistics come into play. But since you are only talking about exterior paint color and the paint robots are engineered to paint any color required with each passing car (ie one red, then next one black, and the next blue, etc), imho changing the color on the order to keep a customer happy should be no issue whatsoever.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:55 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bboerit
I would understand Porsche not wanting to make changes post freeze if you were requesting options like different wheels, etc since suppliers and logistics come into play. But since you are only talking about exterior paint color and the paint robots are engineered to paint any color required with each passing car (ie one red, then next one black, and the next blue, etc), imho changing the color on the order to keep a customer happy should be no issue whatsoever.
Apparently this isn’t the the case. I was told that if they do allow the change (still up in the air) I would have to switch into another allocation with a lock date that is in the future and have to wait an additional amount of time for the car. I haven’t heard anything as of yet.

In addition, even though it’s a new allocation, I was told that most likely the only change I will be able to make to my current configuration is the exterior color. I’ll post more as things unfold.
Old 10-01-2021, 11:01 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,504 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Apparently this isn’t the the case. I was told that if they do allow the change (still up in the air) I would have to switch into another allocation with a lock date that is in the future and have to wait an additional amount of time for the car. I haven’t heard anything as of yet.

In addition, even though it’s a new allocation, I was told that most likely the only change I will be able to make to my current configuration is the exterior color. I’ll post more as things unfold.
If they switch your allocation, you should be able to configure it completely. Makes no sense otherwise. I had a Turbo allocation swapped over to Turbo S and then a June allocation swapped to a later date in order to hit he PTS window. All three were configurable.

Quick Reply: Discrepancy between lock dates - dealer vs TYD