Sponsored by:

25k Mile Report

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2021, 04:10 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
I agree that 992s are a rare sight on the road, but 911s being "rare" is really a matter of where you live. Porsche mass produces these cars in significant numbers -- around 1.25m 911s have been built. The 911 is probably the highest volume six figure car in production today and made lovingly by robots.

For example, not counting me, there are three 911s on my block -- 991 Cabrio, 996 Targa, 997 Carrera 4. If I go the next block over, there's a guy with a nice 964. Plus, as I noted above, there are two other Aventurine Green 992s in my small, two square mile town. Of course, I am in Southeastern Pennsylvania, the Philly Suburbs that was home to Holbert's Porsche and has the oldest PCA chapter in the country. That probably contributes to them being especially popular around here.

Statistically speaking, there are typically around 9,000 911’s sold in the US every year. I would expect most dealerships are near urban centers. In any event, that equates to about 50 911’s sold by an “average” Porsche dealership every year, Obviously, some dealerships sell a lot more than that (which means other dealerships sell fewer), and most states have more than one dealership in the state. Maryland, for example, has 5 Porsche dealerships in a fairly small state. So, in my state, there might be (around) 250 911’s sold every year. Now say, over the course of 10 years, there might be around 2,500 911’s, of various vintages scattered around the state. There are 4.1 licensed drivers in Maryland, with most owning more than one car….so, out of that group, the 911 owner represents less than 0.06% of the driver’s on the road in Maryland…and a LOT less than 0.06% of the cars on the road, when you consider most people own more than one car (I own 4 and the Turbo guy down the block owns 6…5 BMW’s and the Porsche Turbo) , and most 911’s only come out on good weather.

Point being - the statistical likelihood (everything else being equal) of seeing a 911, while driving your 911, is remote. Not zero, but certainly not likely. Since taking delivery of my 992S, and excluding my neighbor’s 991 Turbo, I can count all the 911’s I’ve seen in the past 6 months, on one hand. But that’s just the way I like it!

Quick Reply: 25k Mile Report