Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Manual - Burnout?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2021 | 03:13 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by aggie57
Porsche are very clear that manual 992's are not intended for traffic light derbies, they don't give a toss about how it really performs off the line. For that you want the PDK which as we know is brilliant there.
Not arguing but where do they say not to launch a manual?
Old 09-22-2021 | 04:52 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

All this talk about how 911s are not meant to be launched off the line makes no sense. First of all, if that were the case, why do so many automatic Porsches have launch control? Secondly, there’s this whole heritage thing about how the 911 still has the fake key on the left side because in races, people used to run to their cars, jump in, put right hand on shifter and use left hand to turn the key to start the car and they designed their cars this way to facilitate fast *off the line* starts. So to say that 911s were not meant to be launched off the line is just silly.

911s are considered thoroughbred sports cars. While they do not have a drag racing heritage like Mustangs and Camaros, one of the aspects of a sports car that many people enjoy is launching them hard and fast off the line. So, even though Porsche nerfed our ability to launch manual 911s hard off the line, it doesn’t mean that those of us who want the capability to do this are being inconsistent with what a 911 is all about.

For me, the bigger issue is once in a while, I’d like to rev the car in neutral while stopped. I want to hear the PSE that I paid way too much money for. It sucks that a sports car… ANY sports car is prevented from being revved up in neutral. Am I immature to want this? Fine by me. that’s one of the many reasons why I drive a 911 instead of some boring a** Lexus. That’s why I chose a *manual* over PDK - to have more fun.
The following users liked this post:
991.1 Guy (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021 | 05:49 PM
mac10
Racer

Sounds like some folks should consider trading in their 992's for Hellcats! Burnouts for days!!!
Sennafan (01-17-2022)
Old 09-22-2021 | 06:03 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
All this talk about how 911s are not meant to be launched off the line makes no sense. First of all, if that were the case, why do so many automatic Porsches have launch control? Secondly, there’s this whole heritage thing about how the 911 still has the fake key on the left side because in races, people used to run to their cars, jump in, put right hand on shifter and use left hand to turn the key to start the car and they designed their cars this way to facilitate fast *off the line* starts. So to say that 911s were not meant to be launched off the line is just silly.

911s are considered thoroughbred sports cars. While they do not have a drag racing heritage like Mustangs and Camaros, one of the aspects of a sports car that many people enjoy is launching them hard and fast off the line. So, even though Porsche nerfed our ability to launch manual 911s hard off the line, it doesn’t mean that those of us who want the capability to do this are being inconsistent with what a 911 is all about.

For me, the bigger issue is once in a while, I’d like to rev the car in neutral while stopped. I want to hear the PSE that I paid way too much money for. It sucks that a sports car… ANY sports car is prevented from being revved up in neutral. Am I immature to want this? Fine by me. that’s one of the many reasons why I drive a 911 instead of some boring a** Lexus. That’s why I chose a *manual* over PDK - to have more fun.
Hard launches are one thing...tire-shredding burnouts quite another. 992s with PDK are optimized for hard launches; 7-speed 992s not so much. Neither are designed to allow wheelspin, which is the antithesis of a hard launch.
Old 09-22-2021 | 06:30 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Hard launches are one thing...tire-shredding burnouts quite another. 992s with PDK are optimized for hard launches; 7-speed 992s not so much. Neither are designed to allow wheelspin, which is the antithesis of a hard launch.
Yes I don’t want to shred tires. I just want a good 1/4 launch. We had some real fun on Friday nights before the track day running a few 1/4 runs. My 991.1 could hang with poorly launched mustangs camaros vettes etc. If you’ve never run a 1/4 mile drag you should try it! It’s a ton of fun then go to the road course the next day. To me that is the real joy of a high performance sports car. Not just dinking around on the street.
Old 09-22-2021 | 06:35 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
Not arguing but where do they say not to launch a manual?
Fair question. It's not so much that they say not to launch but rather what they do. As in how the car is configured with the 3500 rpm rev limit etc. - and no way to bypass that.
Old 09-22-2021 | 06:42 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

In farah's manual 992 cab review, he does a launch control, and remarks about how unexpectedly great it is. i have no idea of the details. further, in farah's new GTS review, he takes off hard and not only gets a tiny amount of audible wheelspin at launch, but also catches second!
Old 09-22-2021 | 09:14 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Nowhere did I say I want to do tire shredding burnouts. Hard launch off the line is not a tire shredding burnout. PDK launch control revs to 5K RPM to launch because some wheel-spin is needed for the quickest, hardest launches and you can’t get any at less than 5K RPMs because of the prodigious grip of these rear engined cars with giant rear tires. I’m referring specifically to the RWD Carreras not the 4S. All launch control videos I’ve watched of the 2S has some wheel spin off the line. “Tire shredding burnouts” are, by definition, NOT hard launches… Because when the tires are spinning the car is not moving forward and you are not being launched hard at all.

There is no doubt the manual is not optimized for hard launches. How can it be when it’s rev limited to 3500 RPMs? I’m not looking for Porsche to optimize my car to launch hard or give me a manual launch control or no lift shift or anything like that at all. I just want it to behave like every other manual car I’ve owned before, i.e., allows me to rev it up to any RPM, at any time, in any gear - even to money shift it. It’s a manual, so it should behave like one.
BIGWORM (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021 | 09:36 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Nowhere did I say I want to do tire shredding burnouts. Hard launch off the line is not a tire shredding burnout. PDK launch control revs to 5K RPM to launch because some wheel-spin is needed for the quickest, hardest launches and you can’t get any at less than 5K RPMs because of the prodigious grip of these rear engined cars with giant rear tires. I’m referring specifically to the RWD Carreras not the 4S. All launch control videos I’ve watched of the 2S has some wheel spin off the line. “Tire shredding burnouts” are, by definition, NOT hard launches… Because when the tires are spinning the car is not moving forward and you are not being launched hard at all.

There is no doubt the manual is not optimized for hard launches. How can it be when it’s rev limited to 3500 RPMs? I’m not looking for Porsche to optimize my car to launch hard or give me a manual launch control or no lift shift or anything like that at all. I just want it to behave like every other manual car I’ve owned before, i.e., allows me to rev it up to any RPM, at any time, in any gear - even to money shift it. It’s a manual, so it should behave like one.

I am with you on that. They did that crap on the PDK too. You use to be able to "kick down" from a high gear to the lowest one possible before redline. Like 7th to 3th, just by giving it full throttle and clicking it downshift once. You had to be WOT though. It was a PDK and DCT thing in manual mode. It would sling shot you forward to pass on the highway or whatever. And they took it away! Now you had to go one gear at a time manually 7-6-5-4-3 or use full auto to slingshot away much quicker. So "kick down" was a feature PDK had and they removed it. Porsche has a habit of taking things away. It sucks.

Last edited by BIGWORM; 09-22-2021 at 09:37 PM.
AlterZgo (09-22-2021)
Old 09-23-2021 | 12:47 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Never said you did...just pointed out that "burnouts" and hard launches are different animals. OP and others in the thread want to do tire-shredding burnouts. I get it: you just want to do a high RPM launch in a 992, but the manual gearbox isn't cooperating.
AlterZgo (09-23-2021)
Old 09-24-2021 | 01:46 PM
mahlzeit99
AutoX

Never said you did...just pointed out that "burnouts" and hard launches are different animals. OP and others in the thread want to do tire-shredding burnouts. I get it: you just want to do a high RPM launch in a 992, but the manual gearbox isn't cooperating.
Indeed - yes I simply want the ability to do something smoky - I want the freedom and option. Manual is how you used to get that. Not having that, or the ability to simply rev the motor in neutral is what makes me nuts.

No doubt Porsche does have computer controlled optimized launch in both PDK and manual. While I'm sure it's fast, it won't be as gratifying as if you've managed that launch w/ your own feet. And by the way if fast is what you're after you will always loose to EVs.

Last edited by mahlzeit99; 09-24-2021 at 01:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mahlzeit99:
AlterZgo (09-24-2021), dhirm5 (12-07-2021)
Old 09-24-2021 | 02:15 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mahlzeit99
Indeed - yes I simply want the ability to do something smoky - I want the freedom and option. Manual is how you used to get that. Not having that, or the ability to simply rev the motor in neutral is what makes me nuts.

No doubt Porsche does have computer controlled optimized launch in both PDK and manual. While I'm sure it's fast, it won't be as gratifying as if you've managed that launch w/ your own feet. And by the way if fast is what you're after you will always loose to EVs.
I don't think there's any launch control in manual 992s. In fact, there's the anti-launch control called the 3500 RPM rev limit in neutral.
Old 09-24-2021 | 05:13 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mahlzeit99

If that's one of your deal breaker needs then you're better shopping elsewhere.
Old 09-24-2021 | 05:23 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

I don't think there's any launch control in manual 992s. In fact, there's the anti-launch control called the 3500 RPM rev limit in neutral.
There is launch control in the manual 992 - watch this video from around 18:50:
Old 09-24-2021 | 07:52 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Same way you launch a Z06 by slipping the clutch. If you dump it all you do is spin

Quick Reply: 992 Manual - Burnout?