Sponsored by:

GTS Spec, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 01:30 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 745 Likes on 333 Posts
Default GTS Spec, thoughts?

Hey all, this will be my first Porsche and I need some input on the spec. This would be a daily driver, but with the caveat that I'll commute on my motorcycle primarily. I do plan on tracking the car as well, but I don't think it's worth making any option decisions based on trackability.

First, I'm wondering how much options impact resale value. I'm ticking far more boxes in the configurator than seems reasonable, touching $40k in options alone. If the amount I've spent on options won't be somewhat reflected in the price in 3-5 years, I'll probably have to tone it down.

Secondly, how are allocations going for these? Are they generally going for MSRP or an ADM? And do options factor in favorably for the dealership in terms of wanting to work with me on pricing or anything? I'm not super familiar but would expect that the dealership makes much more on a car with many options than few -- not just scaling evenly with the MSRP. Is that accurate?

Also: are there any advantages to taking European Delivery still? I do want to take a trip to Germany some time...

Here's what I'm looking at:

992 GTS Coupe
- Shark Blue
- 20/21" RS Spyder Wheels
- Leather interior, Slate Gray/Chalk or Black w/ Chalk Stitching
- 18-way Sport Seats Plus
- Premium Package w/ Bose
- Aerokit
- Deletion of side and rear model designations
- 8-speed PDK
- PDCC + Rear Axle Steering
- PCCB Yellow
- Front Axle Lift
- PDLS+
- Illuminated Lateral Gills on Taillights
- InnoDrive w/ ACC & ALK
- Interior Trim Inlays in Carbon Fiber
- PDK Gear Selector in Aluminum
- Door Sill Guards in Black Brushed Aluminum, Illuminated

18-way seats: Am I right to assume that the difference between the 14- and 18-way seats is generally comfort preferences? I haven't sat in either, but would before ordering.

Premium Package w/ Bose: Sound is important to me, but the Burmester system in my AMG isn't even as good as the HK in my E92 was. How good is the 992 Bose? Is the Burmester worth an extra $4k? I assume it adds weight as well...

PCCB: Tempted to lose this. Tracking the car is more aspirational than certain, and the steel brakes are probably far more capable than I am skilled. But, they look fantastic and never having to clean those RS Spyder 50-spoke wheels sounds great. How do PCCBs fare at resale? Generally desirable or no? Would I be better off spending this $9k on PPF and ceramic coating inluding the wheels (which I'd probably do anyways)?

Front Axle Lift: I don't think this would be hugely useful for me, but I've read this is highly desirable for resale. Thoughts?

PDLS+: You can buy an aftermarket OBD2 programmer that unlocks full matrix functionality for my merc. Is this possible for the 992? If not, this might be one to opt out of given the USDOT's glacial pace at approving the magic high beams.

InnoDrive w/ ACC + ALK: I have this on my Merc and quite enjoy not having to drive much on long, boring stretches of highway, but there are some serious flaws (very finicky about line visibility, it doesn't handle curves I'd barely even describe as sharp, it gets confused at intersections where lines disappear temporarily). Is Porsche's version worth having? I would still keep adaptive cruise regardless, so this is really only a $1020 option.

Storage Package: It's a $0 option, but there's no text. What does this actually add?

This comes out to $180,510 with $42,460 in options alone...which just seems insane and a terrible idea in terms of selling this car in 3-5 years.

Last edited by zachr; 09-14-2021 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:44 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

18 way seats feel narrower and have noticeably deeper side bolsters and thigh bolsters and also have the shoulder supporting wings vs. the 14 ways. To me, the 14 ways were too loose and I felt like I was sitting on a bench... a comfortable bench but still did not feel gripped in the car. YMMV.

Bose is better than the HK in my E92 335is. Is it vastly better? No, but it's quite good. Don't know about Burmester. I would probably spec Burmester if I were to do this again.

FAL - Since you have a GTS w/ aerokit, I'd definitely recommend it as your front lip is painted and your car is lower than standard 992s. FWIW, if you are used to driving lowered cars, you really don't need it. I regretted not spec'ing FAL on my 992 but now after driving for a month I have yet to scrape anything with my front lip on my SPASM equipped 992. So it's not an absolute necessity but a very good nice to have - particulary if you plan on lowering your car.

PDLS+ - no you cannot program in the added functionality after the fact. Porsche is very limited in being able to code in extra features unlike BMW and MB where it seems like you can add in many features.

Storage Pkg - Adds a net to the side of the transmission tunnel (yes I know there isn't a transmission there). I find it useful for stashing my expandable windshield cover which is something that those of us living in AZ need during the summers. It's just a handy extra storage space, so why not add it for free?

Another free option is the smoking pkg which give you a little cup w/ lid (ashtray). Some use this cup as a pen holder for the desk. For people w/ manuals, some say it works decently as an armrest. I do not think it's a very comfortable armrest so it just sits in my glove box. In case you're wondering the penholder/ashtray w/ lid is an extra that fits into the cupholder and you still get the cupholder along with the square finished small compartment that you can replace the cup holder with.

Last edited by AlterZgo; 09-14-2021 at 01:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
zachr (09-14-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 01:46 PM
CO 992
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts

In a NORMAL market (i.e. not the insanity we are currently seeing), you'll never get your money back for options on resale - aside from a few basic ones like sport chrono, PSE (standard on GTS anyway).
Just my 2cents, but for 180k I'd be looking at Turbos.
Personally, I'd knock off the PCCB, PDLS+, Innodrive (I've never understood people wanting a P car to drive itself unless its a family hauling Cayenne), FAL (esp since you say it isn't necessary). With this you'll probably be in a more reasonable range.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:55 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 283 Posts

As far a PCCB, if you are tracking the car it is recommended to get steel brakes because you can wear the PCCB brakes to the point of needing replacement, which is very expensive. If you aren't going to track the car then maybe PCCB can be justified for the ease of cleaning and aesthetics. But they are fragile too so care is needed.
Old 09-14-2021, 03:41 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
PDLS+ - no you cannot program in the added functionality after the fact. Porsche is very limited in being able to code in extra features unlike BMW and MB where it seems like you can add in many features.
Tons of great info, thank you! It's a real shame that there's no way to reprogram PDLS+ for EU spec. I wonder if the DOT were to eventually legalize the matrix headlights if Porsche be able to make the change at the dealership.

Originally Posted by CO 992
Personally, I'd knock off the PCCB, PDLS+, Innodrive (I've never understood people wanting a P car to drive itself unless its a family hauling Cayenne), FAL (esp since you say it isn't necessary). With this you'll probably be in a more reasonable range.
This is probably my realistic spec. InnoDrive is more of a convenience any time I take the car on longer trips, but realistically with the lack of cargo room and dog-unfriendlyness, most trips involving long stretches of highway will be in our other car. PCCB is obviously the biggest price tag there, and I'm still tempted by never having to clean wheels... but it's definitely not necessary.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:35 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,542 Likes on 5,065 Posts

Originally Posted by breny4104
As far a PCCB, if you are tracking the car it is recommended to get steel brakes because you can wear the PCCB brakes to the point of needing replacement, which is very expensive. If you aren't going to track the car then maybe PCCB can be justified for the ease of cleaning and aesthetics. But they are fragile too so care is needed.
This is Gen III 997 PCCB thinking.

It is perfectly fine to track with PCCBs.

Did it on my 991 GT3 and GT3 RS.

#DontFearTheYellowCalipers
OnPole (03-09-2023)
Old 09-15-2021, 01:44 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,065 Likes on 2,030 Posts

I left the PCCBs off my build as it comes with Turbo model brakes. For $9k, I can pay someone to clean wheels every week, but, the Turbo wheels are satin black anyways.

Don’t care about upgrading headlights.

For the rest of my options, I weighed whether or not they would really enhance my driving experience. Carbon fiber everything looks cool, but does nothing for driving experience, you get my drift.
The following 2 users liked this post by shrimp money:
CO 992 (09-15-2021), icanthelpit (09-15-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 11:14 AM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by CO 992
In a NORMAL market (i.e. not the insanity we are currently seeing), you'll never get your money back for options on resale - aside from a few basic ones like sport chrono, PSE (standard on GTS anyway).
Just my 2cents, but for 180k I'd be looking at Turbos.
I agree with this post. Your overbuilding your car and you could get an acceptably built TT (non-S) for $190-195K. Only "basic" 911 I'd spec that high is a Targa. I'd drop PCCB, PDLS+, Innodrive. Personally not a fan of the aerokit either (looks too GT3 wannabe). I also fail to understand why anyone would spend $1K for a couple extra inches in the shifter. It looks stupid both ways, but the Braun integrates better with the design.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:59 AM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 185 Posts

Every time someone makes the statement that a GTS build is to high and might as well get a Turbo it makes no sense. If I build a Turbo to the same spec as my GTS build I come in $37,000 higher. (I suppose if I build a stripper Turbo that works, but what's the point of that) At that point why not get the Turbo S. For me at least it never ends, I would wind up with a 765 LT.
Just my .02
AlterZgo (09-15-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 01:07 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ENCT
Every time someone makes the statement that a GTS build is to high and might as well get a Turbo it makes no sense. If I build a Turbo to the same spec as my GTS build I come in $37,000 higher. (I suppose if I build a stripper Turbo that works, but what's the point of that) At that point why not get the Turbo S. For me at least it never ends, I would wind up with a 765 LT.
Just my .02
+1. I don’t care much for the things the turbo offers that a GTS doesn’t, and I do care for the things that I’ve specifically selected in the configurator. Unfortunately from a resale perspective though, I think our opinion is not the most common.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:35 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,802 Likes on 947 Posts

The only reason to get the GTS over the Turbo is to get the 7MT. You opted for PDK so besides the fact that it is a $180k option albatross, let's see what else, Shark Blue - like everyone else's GTS. Carbon Fiber trim - 2015 called and it wants its fad back.
cwbrown (03-10-2023)
Old 09-15-2021, 03:03 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 185 Posts

I had a 2019 Turbo S and felt the power was more than I needed on public roads. I also had a 2018 C4S that I probably should have kept. Last car was a 2021 E63S that I sold last week as I want to get back into a 911. This time around I am going GTS. Last thing I would do on this forum is ask anyone's opinion on my build. If I make or lose money it's my business, I would never spec a car based on resale or someone else opinion.
OP good luck with your build, I hope you enjoy whatever you get.
The following 3 users liked this post by ENCT:
993RUF (03-14-2023), icanthelpit (09-16-2021), stopngo (09-15-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 04:01 PM
CO 992
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ENCT
I would never spec a car based on resale or someone else opinion.
OP good luck with your build, I hope you enjoy whatever you get.
This is my take on it as well, and is I think, the right way to think about it. Yes 180k is a lot for "just" a GTS but outside of black swan events like the past year in the car market, you are going to lose $$$ buying brand new and trading out of it 3-5 years later. Buy what you want, enjoy it, and just call it the cost of doing business.
Old 03-08-2023, 08:11 PM
Samuel L
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I regret not getting the lightweight package (thought I could fit my child in the back seats), black rear bumper model designation, and the rear engine slats painted
I spec'd everything else to my liking
Old 03-08-2023, 08:29 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 738 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
The only reason to get the GTS over the Turbo is to get the 7MT. You opted for PDK so besides the fact that it is a $180k option albatross, let's see what else, Shark Blue - like everyone else's GTS. Carbon Fiber trim - 2015 called and it wants its fad back.
There's a nice way to say things, then there's the way an a$$ would say things.

Last edited by Vicbastige; 03-08-2023 at 08:31 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Vicbastige:
993RUF (03-14-2023), BaxterPup (03-11-2023), offminorthreat (03-10-2023), turbo36x (03-10-2023)

Quick Reply: GTS Spec, thoughts?