Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you think LCA is an essential feature in a build?
Yes, you need LCA.
70.92%
No LCA, save the money.
29.08%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

LCA - Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2021, 09:55 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

I didn't spec it. I don't care one way or another about LCA. Even if the LCA doesn't light up - I look for myself to confirm. If it does light up - I look for myself to confirm. Either way - I'm looking.

Some people (not necessarily anyone in here) have their mirrors improperly positioned. They (ie my parents) set them up to have a nice view of the complete side of their car.

Also, if LCA requires those ugly mirror cameras, then that's another reason to pass.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:04 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

I think there are four kinds of Porsche buyers, who seem to base many of their build options from one, or more of the following: :

(1) I will option what I want. Money is no object
(2) I have a strict budget, so I will only get what makes sense to me
(3) I can’t decide by myself, so I need the opinions of compete strangers in helping me decide.
(4) I will option my car with future re-sale in mind.

I fall into categories #1 and #4…so have gotten every safety related option Porsche offers. Multiple studies have shown that adding safety options to a car, increases re-sale value and, in a buyers market, helps you stand out to sell quicker.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:11 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I think there are four kinds of Porsche buyers, who seem to base many of their build options from one, or more of the following: :

(1) I will option what I want. Money is no object
(2) I have a strict budget, so I will only get what makes sense to me
(3) I can’t decide by myself, so I need the opinions of compete strangers in helping me decide.
(4) I will option my car with future re-sale in mind.

I fall into categories #1 and #4…so have gotten every safety related option Porsche offers. Multiple studies have shown that adding safety options to a car, increases re-sale value and, in a buyers market, helps you stand out to sell quicker.
There is the upfront cost of the option vs the added theoretical resale in the used car market.

I'm not so sure that the theoretical added resale exceeds the upfront cost.

Used car prices are aspirational nowadays anyway. Pick a number. You apparently don't need to justify it anymore.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:24 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by rk-d
There is the upfront cost of the option vs the added theoretical resale in the used car market.

Used car prices are aspirational nowadays anyway. Pick a number. You apparently don't need to justify it anymore.

All bets are off in our current market. You can sell anything right now, for top dollar. But eventually, that too will return to normalcy.

Unlike Porsche, most mid-to-high end cars now include, as standard, many safety features. For example, I think the last year that you had to option LCA for any Lexus was 2013 or 2014. Now, every car Lexus sells has this feature as standard equipment…I believe. But with Porsche, as you point out, you pay for that luxury, up front.

Then there are other survey’s/studies that show cars with safety features sell, on average, much quicker than cars without certainty safety features. I’m pretty sure there are few, if any, cars/SUV’s costing > $40K without LCA. Increasingly, as America ages, more and more buyers want safety and luxury in the buying choice.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 12-02-2021 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:40 AM
ritchieg
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 42 Posts

I can't believe that anyone looks in the rear view mirror 100% of the time. Sure you can see approaching cars in that lane but in the last year I have had two cases where the car two lanes over and I starter to go into the same lane and I did not see their move but LCA warned me as I was about 1/2 way into the lane next me. Get it.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:42 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by ritchieg
I can't believe that anyone looks in the rear view mirror 100% of the time. Sure you can see approaching cars in that lane but in the last year I have had two cases where the car two lanes over and I starter to go into the same lane and I did not see their move but LCA warned me as I was about 1/2 way into the lane next me. Get it.
^

Exhibit A why LCA is a good thing, and why more buyers are demanding this be on their car - new or used.
Old 12-02-2021, 02:03 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ritchieg
I look in the mirrors 100% of the time I change lanes. I can’t even imagine not doing that.

Everyone is different. That’s why there are options.
Old 12-02-2021, 02:52 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

I look in the mirrors 100% of the time I change lanes. I can’t even imagine not doing that.

Everyone is different. That’s why there are options.
I habitually look in all mirrors as I drive, keeping track of potential threats. I drive aggressively, usually passing; and I'm happy to change lanes to do that, as often as necessary. In order to do this safely, I track everyone else on the road. The rear view is crucial to seeing what other aggressive drivers, or leo, might be coming up from behind, especially as I contemplate my next lane change.

That's my default mode. There are occasions where I drive passively, but usually I'm annoyed within a couple miles and go back to 'active' driving.

I still spec LCA. I like the additional safety the car warning provides. 99% of the time, it's just incidental, for me. But I like it.
Old 12-02-2021, 03:48 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 428 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
so you have a world class car and need electronic aids to drive it? Now I understand the comment.
You must be a man with xray vision who can see through steel, plastic, etc. and doesn't need any of these high tech safety features that we mere mortals benefit from.
Good to know that Superman posts here.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:18 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by phaser
You must be a man with xray vision who can see through steel, plastic, etc. and doesn't need any of these high tech safety features that we mere mortals benefit from.
Good to know that Superman posts here.
That’s the real problem with modern cars - since they have all this tech, the manufacturers no longer focus on things like visibility. Visibility and sight lines used to be a major point in any car review. I can’t remember the last time I saw that mentioned (except maybe in a comparison of Targa vs Coupe/Cab).

Try turning your head in a modern SUV and getting a full view of the blind spot. Unless you are an owl, you are SOL. Even in my M5, the seat backs are so high and the headrests so big, that is is very difficult to see over my left shoulder - I also have to do the little lean forward while looking the the side view.

Manufacturers no longer car about visibility because they have equipped cars so that buyers no longer care. And that, IMHO, is where the real problem lies.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:59 PM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

LCA has been really handy on my DD car (Audi RS3). I have a chlid seat in the back that blocks most of the window. So while I still shoulder check each time, can sometimes be hard to spot another car in the blindspot, especially when it's dark. The LCA function has saved me a couple of times already.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:50 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 527 Likes on 345 Posts

LCA is nice to have but I left it out in my previous generation 911 coupe to save a few bucks. The car has excellent visibility and over the decades I’ve learnt to adjust my side mirrors so that when a vehicle behind me disappears from my rear view mirror, I pick it up in the side view mirrors. In a convertible with its huge blind spots, I can see it being more useful. I didn’t have it in my Boxster and even then, adjusting my mirrors properly helped a lot. I’ve had/have blind spot monitoring in my numerous Volvos and the warning is nice confirmation of what my eyes are telling me. My first Volvo with blind spot monitoring was a 2009 XC60 which had cameras in the side mirrors never functioned in snow, rain or fog. The newer ones are much better. If I had to do it again, I would order LCA and ACC although the latter can’t be ordered in a manual car like mine.

Last edited by subwoofer; 12-03-2021 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:09 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

For me, resale is a non-issue. I tend to keep my cars 10+ years. By then, the resale value of most cars are at, or close to their asymptotic depreciation limit. I currently have 5 cars and rotate between all of them. Each has a purpose. When I buy a new one, like the 2021 992S, one of my least favorite vehicles get sold, or donated to charity.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:45 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 428 Likes on 237 Posts

I used to often times miss other vehicles in the blind spot, the LCA does not.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:58 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by phaser
I used to often times miss other vehicles in the blind spot, the LCA does not.
Exactly.

Quick Reply: LCA - Yay or Nay?