Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 quality control issues: when will they be resolved? Here is a compilation.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 11:19 AM
Skarz
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

2021 C2. Only 2k miles but zero problems. Yes, a couple of design elements that maybe are not ideal, such as the location of outer gauges, no rear washer and the Braun pdk shifter styling, but those do not bother me at all and I would definitely not classify those items as qualit control issues. Those are design/styling issues in my mind. The cracking of the pdk shifter is a quality issue - perhaps based on a design flaw.
Old 09-09-2021, 03:25 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by not4one
Aug 19 Cab build. No issues worth mentioning, but only 5k miles. My main gripe is related to my mileage...I havent been in for a service as yet, and you need some kind of pro tool to reset the service reminder (there's no secret handshake like most cars), and the warning pops up at every start. On the OP post, I don't see any reason to expect a lot of effort to have the minor glitches fixed...they don't appear to be a significant reputation or sales problem.
I absolutely agree that these problems are not going to damage their reputation, nor should they.
None of them are major or deal breakers as long as they are all fixed. Sometimes rattles or squeaks can be tough to eliminate.
A mild concern is that some problems, such as the motor mounts, could recur out of warranty.
Underscoring how true your post is, is that there is a another thread posted today showing that the 911 is the most dependable model.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1267...or-2021-a.html

Last edited by Tompoodie; 09-09-2021 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-09-2021, 04:37 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I used to test drive for VW/Audi/Bentley up here in their arctic test center; Porsche OTOH used to go up to Deadhorse at one point to do their winter testing. So with that experience in mind I'd like to raise two issues:

1) ALL manufacturers and of course VW/Audi/Bentley/Lambo/Porsche etc. spend oodles of cash testing in extreme conditions. In the US, extreme heat is tested in Arizona and cold up here (as well as in the Nordic European countries) through Kett Engineering in the US. Thus these cars are pummeled and tested to the extreme and therefore very sad to see folks hide away their rides at the slightest cloud or dip in temp. Some of the tests we did on a VDub Beetle, for example, was checking to make sure the convertible didn't deploy at various low temps, immediate starts by -40 and below, turbos, testing various tire makes etc etc. we had several computers in the vehicle with data loggers and triggers inside the cabin to flag abnormal events. At the end of the shift we had to answer loads of questions as to any abnormalities as well as provide fuel receipts etc. since all cars had to be fueled and ready to go the next morning. All vehicles without exception were destroyed at the end of the season - yes I did try to get the Bentley massaging seats for my Touareg to no avail. All were destroyed; liability no doubt.

2) Since we are talking about rattles, one of the most MIND NUMBING tests we had to do was the rattle route. On an 8 hour shift we had to take vehicles on severely gutted or potted side roads and monitor for any rattles flagging on our data loggers when/where/what time/temp these first manifested themselves. I can't begin to tell you what that entailed as a shift. It meant you leave your brain at the front desk for 8 hours and numbingly drive over torn up roads at like max 15-20mph to check for loose components and rattles.

Having said that, things slip by and all the vehicles we tested were prototypes or pre-production units so that what was finally produced could be a variance of what we tested. So mentioning a leak or rattle or whatever is not an "affront" or a "wow you dare to criticize" or "my God try a Lada in comparison" but a valid observation in daily driving.

Yes our shifts encompassed a day shift which centered on around town driving, stop and go and a night shift (the one I was one) was primarily a long distance haul in both cases a 400 mile odyssey of snow, fog or ice. But things slip by. So if someone does have a rattle or a click or a whatever, it needs to be verified, stating "I don't have it" isn't helpful. Did they use new pressure tabs or a new fastener or whatever and the only way most of them get sorted out is through the dealer or this forum (and others). I can bet you they are monitored.

You'll find a copy of the decal on our test vehicles below

siberian (extremely upset that when Jean Todt resigned from Ferrari as Technical Director they didn't call me...)

Last edited by siberian; 09-10-2021 at 02:41 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by siberian:
erikwevans (09-18-2022), mwein (09-10-2021), Noah Fect (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 06:41 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

That's an amazing post! Thank you for sharing your experience, and thank you also to your poor kidneys for the sacrifices
they have made so that we can all drive rattle-free cars.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:41 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I just wanted to share the incredible amount of time, money and research that is poured into these cars; so they're not just designed to be driven on a sunny day in FL, CA or HI.

Nevertheless, more often that we'd like, things just slip by or are not caught in time (like the aerodynamic mess of the Macan rear window etc.) and that's where forums like this one are at the forefront of identifying issues given the amount of time we spend in our cars in so many different parts of the world and roads.

I know I'll be driving my 992, Touareg and Macan throughout the year whether by 90 above or 40 below in snow or gravel because I know these cars have been tested in these environment and because I didn't spend this amount of money for a summer fling. So enjoy your rides and if there are issues, mention them not as an affront but as an event to be looked into and be aware of.

siberian from 65 North
The following 3 users liked this post by siberian:
erikwevans (09-18-2022), PHX (09-10-2021), Tompoodie (09-10-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 11:58 PM
Autobacs
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts

Porsche had my car for over a week for a check engine light. They changed out the EVAP sensor. Just got done driving my car and the check engine light is back on. Do any of you have this issue. This is now the fourth time the check engine light has come on.

Old 09-17-2021, 12:00 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Unless you post a DTC it's impossible to know. Also please give as much detail of your car such as C2 C2S C4S TT...

siberian
Old 09-17-2021, 08:47 AM
richjs43
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Leaving the Porsche Family

I am trading in my 2021 992 with 1300 miles on it….I’m getting a 2022 Jaguar F-Type P450 R-Dynamic AWD Coupe, British Racing Green with tan/ebony interior…..
My motivation for the switch is 2 things: I think Porsche is experiencing quality control issues, my last 3 had issues including this one. Last week took the car to a car show…parked for 3 hours, came back to leave, the car was dead (no, I did not leave anything on in the car). I called Porsche Roadside, waited 3 hours for assistance….they sent someone who had NO knowledge about the car. With the help of a YouTube video, the tech and I got the car started. All the lights on the dash were lite. As I drove home all went out except the service engine and airbag did not…the next day I drove the car, these lights went out…
It seems that Porsche does not have its own dedicated Roadside Assistance team, they contract it out, I could that I my own or I could use Geico roadside assistance.
I don’t have the patience to have issues with a car costing 6 digits. While I was very happy with all the other Porsches that I have owned, starting with a new 1976 912E, and several 911’s and Boxsters, I am done with this brand….I know many of you will not approve of this move, but please check out the Jag, its awesome. When I took the test drive, the performs magnificently.

The following 3 users liked this post by richjs43:
patrickoleas (08-21-2023), rappy992 (09-19-2021), Spotty-Dog (10-12-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 10:39 AM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Really nice looking car - although you may not find Jaguar the epitome of quality/reliability either - but truly hope it serves you well. I did take serious pause at the large sliding caliper brakes though - on this level of a car? No vendor or insurance has their own dedicated roadside assistance team - they all sub-contract it out, just the way of world today. Sounds like you had a weak battery - did you drive the car enough? Keep it on a charger when not driven? Most newer cars with lots of electronics take a toll on the battery even after a week or two.
The following users liked this post:
famous shoes (09-04-2022)
Old 09-17-2021, 11:11 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by richjs43
I am trading in my 2021 992 with 1300 miles on it….I’m getting a 2022 Jaguar F-Type P450 R-Dynamic AWD Coupe, British Racing Green with tan/ebony interior…..
My motivation for the switch is 2 things: I think Porsche is experiencing quality control issues, my last 3 had issues including this one. Last week took the car to a car show…parked for 3 hours, came back to leave, the car was dead (no, I did not leave anything on in the car). I called Porsche Roadside, waited 3 hours for assistance….they sent someone who had NO knowledge about the car. With the help of a YouTube video, the tech and I got the car started. All the lights on the dash were lite. As I drove home all went out except the service engine and airbag did not…the next day I drove the car, these lights went out…
It seems that Porsche does not have its own dedicated Roadside Assistance team, they contract it out, I could that I my own or I could use Geico roadside assistance.
I don’t have the patience to have issues with a car costing 6 digits. While I was very happy with all the other Porsches that I have owned, starting with a new 1976 912E, and several 911’s and Boxsters, I am done with this brand….I know many of you will not approve of this move, but please check out the Jag, its awesome. When I took the test drive, the performs magnificently.
With all due respect the F-Type is an 8+ year old design that's due for replacement in 2022. Jag's are hardly the epitome of reliabilty either but granted the F-Type looks and sounds magnificent. A good friend of mine owns one in The Netherlands and his videos of Autobhan blasts are great to watch. Or I should say listen to.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:00 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 856 Likes on 419 Posts

12/20 build, 2/21 delivery. No issues other than the seat back straps and the difference in force on the window switches between auto up/down and manual adjustment is about .00000000000000001 newtons.

Last edited by Russian Mafia; 09-20-2021 at 11:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Russian Mafia:
chance6 (09-18-2021), erikwevans (09-18-2022)
Old 09-17-2021, 12:07 PM
richjs43
Intermediate

Thanks for your comments….Tesla and BMW indicate their own roadside with qualified technicians. I have seen certain dealership roadside vehicles on the road where I live (Mercedes and Lexus). That being said, 3 of my last Porsches had significant issues. If Porsche, or any other auto manufacturer is going to contract this help, they should insure that any techs that are sent are at least familiar with the car and not have to do on the job (incident driven) training. We spend a lot of money on these cars, and deserve premium service. Speaking of service, when I tried to make an appointment to assess my 992, 2 Porsche dealers (one being where I purchased the car), had appointments one month out…..who only knows how long it would take to get any necessary parts if needed. I loved all my other Porsches, been a member of the PCA for over 40 years. I am very disappointed with the marquee at this point.
Thanks for the well wishes with my Jaguar. I am familiar with the passed reputation for these cars. But I am hopeful my experience will surpass my experience with my last 3 Porsches. I am a fanatic with my cars, they are well cared for….I use a battery maintainer religiously, store the car in winter, under a car cover and in a heated garage. I have NEVER had a Porsche not start. I had one of the first 1997 Boxsters, kept it 7 years (an all time record for me). Traded it in for a 2004 911, my Boxster had 10K miles, with the original battery. The Porsche dealer could not believe it and offered me a job….
Old 09-17-2021, 12:10 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Had a similar electrical issues with the wife's 2020 Macan S. Battery dead reading 6v after being parked overnight in a heated garage this at 3 months of purchase. Ctek managed to resuscitate it after 3 days and no explanation as to what caused this.

Next came the headlights flashing incessantly for no reason - had to flat bed the car to the dealer to have reflashed as they couldn't find the problem either.

The latest, car now at 12k miles and 18 months old, is the rear left lower LED whereby the entire assembly had to be trashed as Porsche couldn't even design a system with LED units rather than soldered diodes - and we're going "green" folks. That's on the Macan.

The 992... I think I've pontificated enough on some of the wonderful design features from the HomeLink to the seat belt to the gauge design layout etc.

Having said that would I go for a Jag? Having spent many years when living in Europe working on Hilmann Imps, Triumphs and MGs and reading the latest on the nice styling etc. of the Jags... don't think so. Reliability is not something that's used in the same sentence as Jaguar; neither then nor today alas. But there is the British racing green...

Sorry to read of your mishap and GL!

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 09-17-2021 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:23 PM
richjs43
Intermediate

Thanks Siberian…sorry that you have had issues with Porsche as well….I’m hoping for a better experience with Jag….the car is awesome….5 years free maintenance as well ….hopefully they have a better roadside assistance program (hoping NEVER to need it)…
Old 09-17-2021, 12:42 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I don't mean to disparage but what good does a 5 year warranty do when your car is in the shop most of the time? Some of your points being valid others are just a sign of the time. Wait times etc. at dealers/roadside are possibly due to COVID and lack of employees.

Tasks are decentralized, even at full service gas station they don't check under the hood nor your tires as they did 40 years ago.

I'm more concerned with the selection of dealerships (two that I've had the misfortune of having to deal with) seem like the airlines. Anyone with cash can open a dealership or run an airline resulting in poor service and lack of knowledge. 14 years ago I had 50% of the VW Touaregs in Fairbanks, the then dealer was pretty clueless as they sold 100 Jettas for every Touareg. Things alas have not improved.

Designs across the industry are strange, frustrating and unfathomable. We're sometimes issued a jack but no spare tire so we can save 60 pounds and wait 4 hours for roadside assistance. We're forced now to go through a silly process to disable the *** just so they can claim an extra tenth of a mile to their mpg. The fiasco with the oil and GPF's in the 992s is maddening as is the monopolistic agreement between Porsche and dealership to distribute the oil - we now seem to have a source in the US independent of dealers.

But that's industry wide. I debated for 3 years as to whether a 992 or a 71 Cuda (440,426 or 383) but given where I live and age I decided to add another Porsche to my current stable. Many things are annoying, unfathomable as a non adjusting seat belt height, but for now I don't regret my choice 18 months after buying the Macan for the wife and 5 months after receiving my 992.

Best of luck and keep us posted how you do!

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 09-17-2021 at 12:43 PM.

Quick Reply: 992 quality control issues: when will they be resolved? Here is a compilation.