Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How bad is black, really?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 01:15 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 167 Posts

Look at metallic black. It seems to show less swirls than standard black. It is less of a mirror-like finish but its still black. No doubt dark colors should be covered with paint protection film and ceramic coating. The ceramic coating makes washing much easier (it also eliminates much of the biggest selling point for ceramic brakes for wheels IMHO) and so less swirls are created. Stay away from touch-type car washes and dry with a blower That will prevent most swirls.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 03:07 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,770 Likes on 5,137 Posts

With PPF (either with or without ceramic coating), black is a non-issue.

Remember, with PPF, the dirt and smudges are on the PPF, and not the paint itself, so whatever color your car is, it's irrelevant.
Yojeffo (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 03:17 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Received 163 Likes on 109 Posts

I wish I could find the video - I've been watching so many! - but there was an owner's report on JBM and the feeling was that it always looked "dusty". But not because of actual dirt but because of the metallic flakes that add the shine but also (inadvertently) make the car look dusty.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:18 PM
Skarz
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

Swirls may not be an issue with black paint, but looking terrible due to dust, dirt, etc is a common reality with black cars. Unless of course, you wash them every hour.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:39 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a black Vette a few years back. The car was beautiful after a wash. It needed another wash by the time I reached the end of my (short) driveway. I am far from OCD but it nearly drove me nuts. Admittedly my car was not wrapped so maybe that would help. My silver C2S is comparatively boring in color but much less stressful to wash and drive.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:49 PM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm in the other camp and if it's a DD this is the last color you would want. (I believe you are the one trading in your 992 due to stitching issues so your OCD score is already high).

Chalk gets dirty after a few drives. I can't imagine how quickly black gets dirty for a DD. Ppf and ceramic is helpful when washing but the ppf gets dirty. Winter grime will drive you(and me) bonkers.

I plan to order a Taycan cross tourismo as a DD in the near future and likely will do gentian blue which seems like less maintenance, especially over black
Flash992 (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 05:48 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,275 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by JiminyGlick
I wish I could find the video - I've been watching so many! - but there was an owner's report on JBM and the feeling was that it always looked "dusty". But not because of actual dirt but because of the metallic flakes that add the shine but also (inadvertently) make the car look dusty.
This is my problem with JBM... my OCD hates that color more than a regular black car with a bit of dirt/dust on it. Just my opinion but black cars need to look completely black. I don't mind black when it gets a bit dirty but I DESPISE swirl marks so for me its black + PPF + ceramic. Black paint is free so I see the difference between black and JBM as a subsidy to cover some of the cost of PPF

There's just something about a black 911...
Yojeffo (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 06:17 PM
JCH997
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 46 Posts

Keep Griot's' Best of Show Detailer handy. It's not a color; it's a lifestyle.

Old 08-31-2021, 06:35 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

• If you insist on a black, jet black metallic will look cleaner and help hide imperfections. It looks black to most casual observers and can be quite stunning.
  • PPF will certainly help things and be easier to clean, but please be aware, if you're driving the car regularly, the PPF will show wear that will be particularly obvious on black. It will look weathered after a while as it bears the scars of the road -- don't get sucked too far into the "self-healing" hype. Given that you stated that you're a bit OCD about this stuff, it will bother you.
  • Ceramic coating does make black considerably more manageable than it used to be. With ceramic coatings, blowing the car dry will go a long way to keeping the swirls at bay. Plus, no waxing where you would risk introducing swirls and scratches.
  • Car color doesn't really have much impact on what the interior is going to be like when you get inside. That's really more of a function of the greenhouse (the glass)
  • Personally, I think that the world has enough black 911s. Porsche has so many interesting colors to choose from before you even touch PTS. The heart wants what the heart wants, but there's something to be said for colors other than black.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
JunoRob (08-31-2021), SBAD (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 06:50 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 708 Likes on 278 Posts

Black will show stone induced paint chips and road rash more than any other color. Front PPF is imperative if its an all-season car. I've had one black car and that was enough for me. Not worth the hassle. I have no need to look "bad" or threatening or whatever causes the obsession with owning a black car.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:57 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 758 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by JiminyGlick
JBM does not . Basalt black (former metallic on 997 cars) does . JBM is as close to regular black as I have ever seen Porsche get.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:13 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wintershade
This thinking is really speaking to me right now.
Let me add something. I have given a fair chance to every color on the configurator , I have multiple builds of each too. The higher risk the color the more modest my build was in case I wanted to bail out. If you notice I have posted multiple threads as I have wrestled with this more than ever with the 992 .

The huge snag with all of my light and bright color builds is that I absolutely hate the plastic over the oval tips . I do see some guys blend it with a sunroof but I feel a sunroof belongs on a Macan . A 150+ K 911 is a performance car so it is off my car even though the lot car 991.2 I have has it . The plastic in the rear and even the front is hideous with light colors but there rest of the car looks so nice .

Today I was at the dealership and saw an agate 992 . It hides it. JBM hides it . dark colors hide it !!!

All of my cars have been black, white, or silver . My black cars have gotten the most compliments on the street yet the color gets there most hatred on auto forums ,

I think part of it is regional and cultural . Despite the heat in Miami there are a lot of black cars . Part of why is that with a humid damp climate there is much less dust . In contrast I rented a black car in California once and it was rough with dust . Plus California has all types of water restrictions so one is really trapped with his dirty car . It goes beyond that . Back in 2008 California wanted tl BAN black cars . I am not kidding !
https://techcrunch.com/2009/03/26/ca...an-black-cars/

It was as if there was hatred poured into black cars .

When you spec your car you have to do it fir yourself . Dont spec someone else car because you won't be happy .

OIn my case ,, sadly light colors are off the list at the moment with a 992 and I am dabbling with looking at dark colors.

Last edited by yrralis1; 08-31-2021 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:19 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

If you're the least bit OCD, do not do a black car. You will hate it. Black is like a drug that lures you in with the seduction of a high and then destroys your soul.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:00 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Archimedes
If you're the least bit OCD, do not do a black car. You will hate it. Black is like a drug that lures you in with the seduction of a high and then destroys your soul.
Here are photos to back up what I am saying .
The first one I took two days ago just to show a friend my steel sunroof on my 14 year old 997 in regular black . The car isn't even the usual spotless as you can see I have it parked outdoors . (note - no swirl /ceramic pro , no dust / humid Miami . no issues)
The next photo is my wife JBM Macan Turbo next to my white 9912.2 GTS . Notice the front fascia of the 991.2 . Then look at photo the of the plastic in the 992 fascia . It's hideous and even worse on white and the rear is equally as bad . Black ends this !!! It covers it and hides it .

Last edited by yrralis1; 08-31-2021 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:07 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
Let this speak to you. My Gentian Blue 992.

Here is a pic I grabbed from somewhere.
Gentian covers it much more than white ., not as much as agate , and not even close to black . Its really nice but there are three snags that took it off my list momentarily , I would have to get ceramic . Red calipers and blue = superman. The second thing there is a purple hue in certain angles . Lastly the color doesn't own the night . White and black both do. White pops at night and black looks sleek.

Quick Reply: How bad is black, really?