Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How bad is black, really?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 10:45 PM
DriveItRob
AutoX

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got the A1 black (not JBM) with PPF and ceramic. in addition to the points made earlier about how well the darker colors take the eye away from the black plastic on lower front and rear bumpers, it also aids in a more uniform appearance with the glass sunroof. The gloss black is as good as it gets in helping the glass, plus the two roof panels in front of and behind the glass to blend in. JBM was my second choice, but I had another car in black metallic and was never satisfied with the "dusty" look right after I cleaned it up. Agate grey and night blue were also on my list, but my eye kept going back to gloss black,

Yes, the car is a pain to keep nice. This time of year makes for bugs and pollen problems that do get better when things cool off. I notice that the rear hips on back by far get the most road grime and dust. Trying to spot clean any of that really just makes it worse. Other than bug cleanup on the nose, only a complete wash is going to get the job done. Good news is that the ceramic really helps the wash routine and eliminates the need to wax. This car is more of a pleasure than a chore to wash, and gleaming black is a reward that makes it worthwhile for me.
The following users liked this post:
LuNguyen (05-05-2024)
Old 08-31-2021, 10:52 PM
Matjaz
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by wintershade
I’m thinking of ordering a TTS in black, probably gloss black. It will be a 4 seaon daily driver in New England (except deep snow, etc).

My thinking is: what if I do a full XPEL wrap of the the car and ceramic coat it. Would it be reasonable to live with (as a highly OCD person)?

I haven’t had a black car since I was 16. Keeping it clean doesn’t really bother me (would probably give it a quick wash with my son most weekends, run thought a touch less wash in winter, and wax every month or two) but avoiding swirl marks and marred paint is a concern. Heat is also a bit of a concern driving it summer. Car will be garaged and I’ll have vented seats, but I still remember feeling like I was roasting in my black car in FL summer despite AC being on “Max”.

My other options are GT Silver (the best silver, but still a bit boring), Gentian Blue (a bit too purple in some light), or Guards Red (not sure I want to be “the guy” in a red Turbo though my son is begging me to go with red). I still remember getting picked up by an uncle in a black 993 Turbo as a teen and thinking “THIS is the car I will own someday”.
I had a standard black Boxter S and it looked beautiful. The only complaint was that that paint scratches so easilly and it was quite some work detailing it. I would now go with JBM, but in the end I decided for Silver GT in my 992 build 🙄

Last edited by Matjaz; 08-31-2021 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:22 PM
Yojeffo
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by SBAD
Black will show stone induced paint chips and road rash more than any other color. Front PPF is imperative if its an all-season car. I've had one black car and that was enough for me. Not worth the hassle. I have no need to look "bad" or threatening or whatever causes the obsession with owning a black car.
You have no need to look "bad" or threatening or whatever causes the obsession with owning a black car. Really? Why do you have the need to tag yourself as "SBAD"? HaHa
Old 08-31-2021, 11:52 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 708 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Yojeffo
You have no need to look "bad" or threatening or whatever causes the obsession with owning a black car. Really? Why do you have the need to tag yourself as "SBAD"? HaHa
that is just a shortening of my name which has "Bad" it it. But since you have vanity plates, I can see where you would read more into that than is there
Yojeffo (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 04:18 AM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts

Considered Black to match my black 993. Decided on Gentian Blue and couldn’t be happier.

Last edited by riotgear; 09-01-2021 at 10:25 AM.
dhirm5 (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 05:20 AM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
If you're the least bit OCD, do not do a black car. You will hate it. Black is like a drug that lures you in with the seduction of a high and then destroys your soul.
Silly thread. BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL! I love my Basalt Black Metallic beauty. All my track cars are black, and yes black is more intimidating in your mirrors. Xpel is fantastic. Splurge and do the whole car. No more swirl issues at all and if you ceramic coat that, you are not waxing. No need. Chips and such...none. I had the headlights and turn signal lenses filmed as well. No more rash. Also, the windshield is filmed. Best thing i ever did! It is a mess after 7 track events this season, 2 more to go, but the film takes all the abuse. Did the Smokies GT run earlier this year and one section in Tennessee was just all sorts of road debris and tiny stones spraying from the cars in front. Super glad the film on the car and glass took the abuse. Would have been crying otherwise. Track rubber and debris leave all sorts of marks, but its on the film and not the paint or glass. Paint film cleans up nicely and a heat gun heals nicks. I consider the windshield film to be a track consumable. I'll change that out over the winter. Once you go black, you never go back!
yrralis1 (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 05:25 AM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SBAD
that is just a shortening of my name which has "Bad" it it. But since you have vanity plates, I can see where you would read more into that than is there
I have vanity plates. Mine says XQZME. My tire trailer says XQZME 2. You have a problem with that? :-)
The following 2 users liked this post by Papamurphdog:
SBAD (09-01-2021), Yojeffo (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 05:33 AM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yrralis1
It's not bad at all . I was considering scratching it from the list because already have two black cars , The important thing is to immediately have it properly ceramic coated. That prevents swirl even if you dont use protection film. The regular black looks better but is a soft paint and harder to maintain unless ceramic treated . The JBM is easy as pie . Wife's Macan is JBM and it lives outside . It can go a month without our washing it and all it takes is one proper wash . We have the detailer spend a day with it once every two months to maintain the ceramic polish longer term .

It does get hot though inside. I live in Miami and summers can be tough with a black car . Thats why I felt a light color at least for one car was needed but after looking at the plastic over the exhaust and the various black plastic parts I feel that black wipes it away . It looks great on a 992.

Look at this ... amazing .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si7c2sa84OM
On the "Black is hot" thing... its the UV coming through the glass, much more so than the heat from the temp of the exterior of the car. Get the best low UV tinting and problem solved! You don't need to have it dark go get the UV protection, BTW! Could be clear and still be low UV. The film on my windshield is also low UV'ish, and you can feel the difference, once that was installed. Exterior car color does not affect interior car temps, ha! All that glass sure does though!!
Old 09-01-2021, 05:34 AM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reddsektor
if you're ceramic coating, then you don't want to be using wax over it.

I think the 992 looks killer in black, but only when its clean of course, which will require work. Ceramic over Xpel is the right way for black as it will make the car super easy to "lazy" clean without worrying about being too rough or scratching or swirling while cleaning; Xpel is bulletproof in that regards.

But among your other color choices, I'd say go with Gentian Blue. It's not really that purple but a darker color in most lighting other than direct sunny days (I've heard maintenance on it can be almost as tough as black).
Bump. Xpel rocks!
Old 09-01-2021, 08:25 AM
txpackers
Racer

Received 314 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by wintershade
My thinking is: what if I do a full XPEL wrap of the the car and ceramic coat it. Would it be reasonable to live with (as a highly OCD person)?
I highly doubt that you or others on this thread have OCD. You may be a neat freak or a perfectionist, but that does not mean you have OCD. OCD is a mental illness. If you know someone with this disease, you’d realize your desire for a clean car is nothing like having OCD.

Last edited by txpackers; 09-01-2021 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:28 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 759 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Papamurphdog
Silly thread. BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL! I love my Basalt Black Metallic beauty. All my track cars are black, and yes black is more intimidating in your mirrors. Xpel is fantastic. Splurge and do the whole car. No more swirl issues at all and if you ceramic coat that, you are not waxing. No need. Chips and such...none. I had the headlights and turn signal lenses filmed as well. No more rash. Also, the windshield is filmed. Best thing i ever did! It is a mess after 7 track events this season, 2 more to go, but the film takes all the abuse. Did the Smokies GT run earlier this year and one section in Tennessee was just all sorts of road debris and tiny stones spraying from the cars in front. Super glad the film on the car and glass took the abuse. Would have been crying otherwise. Track rubber and debris leave all sorts of marks, but its on the film and not the paint or glass. Paint film cleans up nicely and a heat gun heals nicks. I consider the windshield film to be a track consumable. I'll change that out over the winter. Once you go black, you never go back!
I hera ya !! Black is the color I get the most compliments on that gets the most forum controversy . That said if I bought the 992 in black it would made all 3 of my cars black . I have to do something different , I have come to terms that there are so many black plastic bits I have to add something . Anything but a sunroof . After breaking world records on the configurator hours I am here .http://www.porsche-code.com/PNJVH5Z1
Old 09-01-2021, 12:20 PM
Raybold7
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

[QUOTE=yrralis1;17640975]Here are photos to back up what I am saying .
The first one I took two days ago just to show a friend my steel sunroof on my 14 year old 997 in regular black . The car isn't even the usual spotless as you can see I have it parked outdoors . (note - no swirl /ceramic pro , no dust / humid Miami . no issues)
The next photo is my wife JBM Macan Turbo next to my white 9912.2 GTS . Notice the front fascia of the 991.2 . Then look at photo the of the plastic in the 992 fascia . It's hideous and even worse on white and the rear is equally as bad . Black ends this !!! It covers it and hides it .

Hideous? Really? There isn't a single mm on the 992 that I would define as hideous.

People need to stop with the shock and awe in their posts and just give sensible advice. The OP asked about colour choice period, on a 992, not to see a 997 sunroof, the front end of a Macan or a 991. He also didn't ask about humidity levels across states. If you don't like the plastic, don't buy a 992. If you have bought a 992, why complain about the plastic.

To the OP, black looks good but shows the marks regardless of which country, state, or city you live in. If you don't mind having a mostly dirty car (based on the dirty days in between washing), then go for it. If a dirty car will bother you, then visit an OPD and look at the different colours in the flesh.
Old 09-01-2021, 03:06 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Originally Posted by JCH997
It's not a color; it's a lifestyle.
An excellent way to describe it!

Quick Reply: How bad is black, really?