Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a note on options , price ,emotion, and resale

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2021 | 07:51 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Default Just a note on options , price ,emotion, and resale

I have seen it here a lot . I am totally guilty of it myself . Over time I have tried to find a balance.

Its starts out where a person wants a specific model . If you are like me I start out with a basic build. I try to see what is the minimum spec I could live with , Then it grows , and grows, and the next thing I know its 30K in options more . I have seen a lot of people chasing that high spec car right off the financial cliff . I have seen others clam up and go for a lower trim variant declaring to themselves "well at least its isn't the X , y, or Z model " . Either way they get screwed . So what is the balance ?

What I have learned after buying a gazillion of these cars that "the best" only remain the best until its time it trade it in chasing the next one that is "the best" . It can very old long 40-80 grand every few years . So this is what seems to work for me. First off anyone who buys a car and keeps it a long time tends to fare well . It can get boring. The car can become dated. However in terms of cost and squeezing value it can work so long as the car doesn't break !!!! Aftermarket insurance can be expensive . I have Geico MBI but have yet to make a claim . I do hear they pay .

I don't keep all ny cars a long time .Shorter term cars I try to spec within MRM parameters . Thats what my dealership does because they want to cater to a person who either buys or leases . Those numbers are determined by Porsche . BTW I would never lease a Porsche but dint want this to become a buy vs lease debate . I only mention MRM numbers to serve as a price guide for a purchase build .

I have found that outside of the Gt3/Spyder cars the real value lies in several variants . A stripped base car holds well. A modest spec GTS Holds well.. I dont know about cabs or Targas merely because I lack interest in them so I never looked at the market.

Right now EVERYTHING is holding value as the market is unusual . To play safe I do feel that over optioning a car is chasing the dream but it can lead to a future high cost in ones NEXT "enjoyment" purchase . The goal for me is to keep buying these tings either until I run out of money , get too old to drive, or die . So My plan to look ahead for many future Porsches in my life.
The following 2 users liked this post by yrralis1:
911dude41 (08-24-2021), dashanin (08-23-2021)

Popular Reply

08-23-2021, 09:02 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

With all due respect, what's the point of this?

I think it's pretty well known that low option cars do better on trade in. Most of us are smart enough to know that the fancy options don't necessarily equate to higher resale.

I think it's also pretty common knowledge that "overbuilding" a car into the next model tier's price range is flirting with disaster on resale.

There is also such a thing as regret. Regret at pinching pennies on the options for a flagrantly wasteful and self centered purchase like a 2 seater sports car.

I don't think I've ever regretting getting options, only NOT getting them. Most of us are successful and responsible enough to be in the position to buy these things. Buying Porsches is one of the few times in my life that I am wasteful and dumb.

I say we celebrate it. Get the PTS, Burmester, Gold plated thing. F*** it.
Old 08-22-2021 | 07:59 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Generally speaking, I’ve used MRM as a benchmark to work my build around. I usually end up near the MRM (after discount) and I’ve done fairly well with trade ins.

It’s always good to know where “the line” is so you can make conscious decisions about stepping over the line for the options that you REALLY want.

That said, I wouldn’t recommend sacrificing options you want in order to hit that number. I’d just acknowledge it as a sunk cost and move on.
Old 08-22-2021 | 08:00 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

My 2021 992 C2S was just around $139. I felt that I put in the options that mattered to me, but didn't go overboard. But this was my first new 911 and I ordered not expecting to change it in a couple years. I was slightly mistaken as to one option, and didn't get it, which in retrospect I somewhat wish that I had, almost more for my wife than myself. And that is the Surround View. But the sensors do work quite well. Sometimes I wish I could see from the front how close I am. I think a couple tennis ***** will solve that.

I did add a few things that you could call unnecessary, like the illuminated door sills, and the 930 leather package for the door cards and seats. But I didn't skimp on any options that I felt were necessary performance options.
Old 08-22-2021 | 08:17 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

What is MRM? Thanks.
Old 08-22-2021 | 08:52 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by c1pher
What is MRM? Thanks.
Here is. great explanation of it in leasing terms .
https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-Por...-come-separate

The significance to me as a buyer is that Porsche knows what the car is worth down the line (under normal market conditions) and bases its lease pricing one that . So in essence I am playing follow the leader (Porsche) by keeping my build as close to it as I can . My dealership does it with EVERY lot car they have . Thats why they are often poorly spec . Yet they all trade in nicely if one buys it .
Its the guy who goes out and loads up a car so high in options that it jumps into a high trim level that gets crushed . I have seen C2S cars that are 175K = Crushed at resale. That paint to sample, Burmester , deviated stitch , Carbon fiber everywhere , caviar special interior are all worth squat at wholesale trade in .

The usual emotional reply is "but I got what I'm liked " or "I bought my car fir enjoyment " Or " all of these cars are expensive and there's no avoiding it" . Then 50K later, and 70K later and 90K later one day he wakes up and says "oh %h*t " !!

Last edited by yrralis1; 08-22-2021 at 08:53 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by yrralis1:
JiminyGlick (08-22-2021), Steve 96C4S (08-23-2021), Tip (08-23-2021)
Old 08-22-2021 | 09:18 PM
TR772
Racer

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Here is. great explanation of it in leasing terms .
https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-Por...-come-separate

The significance to me as a buyer is that Porsche knows what the car is worth down the line (under normal market conditions) and bases its lease pricing one that . So in essence I am playing follow the leader (Porsche) by keeping my build as close to it as I can . My dealership does it with EVERY lot car they have . Thats why they are often poorly spec . Yet they all trade in nicely if one buys it .
Its the guy who goes out and loads up a car so high in options that it jumps into a high trim level that gets crushed . I have seen C2S cars that are 175K = Crushed at resale. That paint to sample, Burmester , deviated stitch , Carbon fiber everywhere , caviar special interior are all worth squat at wholesale trade in .

The usual emotional reply is "but I got what I'm liked " or "I bought my car fir enjoyment " Or " all of these cars are expensive and there's no avoiding it" . Then 50K later, and 70K later and 90K later one day he wakes up and says "oh %h*t " !!
So I should go with the $102,000 base and maybe add full cow, and call it a day ??
Old 08-22-2021 | 10:09 PM
phila12180
Racer

Everyone should do what is best for them and spec the car the way that makes them happy, but if they run the price really high and lose a crap load of money when they trade don't complain. For numerous reasons I went with very few options but the car has all that I need. I sometimes think I have one of the lowest speced cars out there with options it listed for just over $107,000
The following 2 users liked this post by phila12180:
Blue Bread (08-23-2021), detansinn (08-22-2021)
Old 08-22-2021 | 10:37 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TR772
So I should go with the $102,000 base and maybe add full cow, and call it a day ??
Originally Posted by phila12180
Everyone should do what is best for them and spec the car the way that makes them happy, but if they run the price really high and lose a crap load of money when they trade don't complain. For numerous reasons I went with very few options but the car has all that I need. I sometimes think I have one of the lowest speced cars out there with options it listed for just over $107,000
There is a balance but realize the higher one goes the lower it becomes and when that new "awesome 911" is launched all those "great options" vanish into wholesale air.
Old 08-22-2021 | 10:44 PM
TR772
Racer

The one problem with this is you have to surrender Sport Chrono, Sport Exhaust and Leather to stay low. Not easy to do...
Old 08-22-2021 | 11:12 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

The one problem with this is you have to surrender Sport Chrono, Sport Exhaust and Leather to stay low. Not easy to do...
While I agree it isn't easy, it can be done as my 2020 C2S was just under $135K and has ALL three (3) of those options.
The following users liked this post:
dashanin (08-23-2021)
Old 08-22-2021 | 11:17 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

I think it can be done too. Many of the online reviews and some of the posters on this forum posit that Sport Exhaust is a waste. The standard interior is not complete leather all-around, but its still real leather and far from "cheap" looking. Between those two, its a substantial savings and leaves plenty of room for Sport Chrono (which is one of my must-haves).
Old 08-22-2021 | 11:38 PM
German1967
Pro

I find it amusing that people buying cars above $125k worry about the resale price.
The following 7 users liked this post by German1967:
CO 992 (08-23-2021), rouxeny (08-25-2021), Russian Mafia (08-23-2021), SamD (08-23-2021), SBAD (08-23-2021), Skarz (08-23-2021), WhitBroo (08-23-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-22-2021 | 11:53 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Great post.

One good thing about the lack of availability, is that it’s given us extra time for post nut clarity on ticking options.

Originally Posted by German1967
I find it amusing that people buying cars above $125k worry about the resale price.
Well I would also say a lot of people that spend $300k+ can’t afford to put miles on the car due to resale price/depreciation.

Some of the wealthiest people I know, are the cheapest people I know. It’s just different for everyone.

Last edited by shrimp money; 08-22-2021 at 11:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
phila12180 (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021 | 12:12 AM
phila12180
Racer

Not knocking anyone for getting those options but I felt no need or value to them. Three grand just for a little bit of extra noise and no performance boost doesn't interest me and I know I wouldn't use launch control other than when I first got the car. Just my opinion and that isn't worth much.
Old 08-23-2021 | 01:15 AM
PorscheRocket
Track Day

I was close to pulling the trigger on a maxed-out 2021 M3, but then started thinking "it's getting close to the price of a base 992 with minimal options". Fast forward 3-4 months and now I'm looking at a GTS build of around 160k. How did it get to this?!
The following 4 users liked this post by PorscheRocket:
AlterZgo (08-23-2021), audi4t (08-24-2021), ixsomerset (08-28-2021), JiminyGlick (08-23-2021)

Quick Reply: Just a note on options , price ,emotion, and resale