Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 01:36 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Received 163 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Window Tinting

I am still new to these forums and I love all the pics of the 992. Just an observation - and it may be wrong - but I see that many of you don't tint your windows. Or at least apply a tint that's significant. Is there a reason for that? My plan is to tint my 992 right away and maybe get a shade darker than what's legal in my state. I don't like the "fish bowl" look and I would have previously guessed that most Porsche owners would enjoy the privacy. What am I missing here? Also, please vote in the poll.
Old 08-21-2021, 01:39 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,098 Likes on 2,995 Posts

While I have tinted other cars, I haven’t bothered with my 992. With the sunroof letting plenty of light in, I have embraced the open nature of it.
Old 08-21-2021, 01:45 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Originally Posted by detansinn
While I have tinted other cars, I haven’t bothered with my 992. With the sunroof letting plenty of light in, I have embraced the open nature of it.
Yes but what about the privacy? Doesnt the fish bowl bother you at all?
Old 08-21-2021, 01:54 PM
Moosedoc
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up

I tinted mine right away with 30% Ceramic tint. Love the way it looks.

Originally Posted by JiminyGlick
I am still new to these forums and I love all the pics of the 992. Just an observation - and it may be wrong - but I see that many of you don't tint your windows. Or at least apply a tint that's significant. Is there a reason for that? My plan is to tint my 992 right away and maybe get a shade darker than what's legal in my state. I don't like the "fish bowl" look and I would have previously guessed that most Porsche owners would enjoy the privacy. What am I missing here? Also, please vote in the poll.
The following users liked this post:
Stevelev (08-22-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 01:59 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

DD in the South and parking outdoors, tinting is not really an option but a necessity for me
Old 08-21-2021, 02:16 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
I agree, although I do think on some colors, tinting helps the exterior looks. That said, and this may be state dependent…a too dark a tint is definitely going to attract the attention of police…that, and not having a front license plate is an invitation for the po-po to pull you over.
Old 08-21-2021, 02:21 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I agree, although I do think on some colors, tinting helps the exterior looks. That said, and this may be state dependent…a too dark a tint is definitely going to attract the attention of police…that, and not having a front license plate is an invitation for the po-po to pull you over.
Where I live in Las Vegas, getting pulled over by the police is inevitable. I call it my "yearly shakedown" when I have to pay these tickets because you literally get to haggle with the court clerk when you pay (it's a weird system). I'm OK with a fix-it ticket every once in a while.
Old 08-21-2021, 02:55 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 206 Posts

Did the tint laws change in Vegas? I lived there more than half my life and always had tint on my cars, pretty much a necessity in that heat.

I put 30% ceramic all around (lightest I’ve had since I can remember), 60% on the front windshield and 20% on the sunroof, it’s been great. Tint is illegal on the passenger windows here in LA, but fortunately (knock on wood!) no issues. I prefer tint, from the looks, UV/heat rejection, and the false sense of privacy it provides.
Old 08-21-2021, 03:01 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Originally Posted by slwong23
Did the tint laws change in Vegas? I lived there more than half my life and always had tint on my cars, pretty much a necessity in that heat.

I put 30% ceramic all around (lightest I’ve had since I can remember), 60% on the front windshield and 20% on the sunroof, it’s been great. Tint is illegal on the passenger windows here in LA, but fortunately (knock on wood!) no issues. I prefer tint, from the looks, UV/heat rejection, and the false sense of privacy it provides.
Tint is legal here but only to 30%. I definitely want to go darker than that, I don't like people being able to see in.
The following users liked this post:
slwong23 (08-22-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 03:03 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 441 Posts

I work with a couple dealers and learned they can’t CPO a car if it’s tinted so have to put in the effort to remove it. It ultimately affects trade in because tint removal is labor hours for removal. Now if the Porsche dealer doesn’t intend to CPO the car, it’s less of an issue.
Old 08-21-2021, 03:06 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Originally Posted by c1pher
I work with a couple dealers and learned they can’t CPO a car if it’s tinted so have to put in the effort to remove it. It ultimately affects trade in because tint removal is labor hours for removal. Now if the Porsche dealer doesn’t intend to CPO the car, it’s less of an issue.
I don't like making my decisions based on future trade in value. I'm just going to enjoy the car in the best way possible.
The following 4 users liked this post by JiminyGlick:
c1pher (08-21-2021), detansinn (08-21-2021), Pman911 (11-21-2023), SamD (08-23-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 03:13 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

I’ve never heard that. I’ve bought CPO BMW and Range Rovers that came tinted. Maybe a Porsche thing?
Old 08-21-2021, 03:27 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,098 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Originally Posted by JiminyGlick
Yes but what about the privacy? Doesnt the fish bowl bother you at all?
In my neck of the woods, you can totally hide in a 911. The car draws zero attention. There are two other Aventurine Green 992s in my two square mile town — a C2S and C4. The cars and drivers don’t get a second look.
Old 08-21-2021, 03:33 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

After moving to Tennessee I started tinting all of my cars as it can get quite warm here and especially when I go visit one of my sons in Alabama. As I live in a small town, I really prefer a darker tint as well for privacy (although my friends tell their friends, who tell theirs) but not only does it look good on my Guards Red 992 during the day IMO and my wife's (the only two I really care about to be honest), I have been pleasantly surprised how much it does NOT brother me when I'm driving after dark (an initial concern as I'm in my late 60's).

As a FYI, neither my wife or I have EVER been stopped once for the tinting.
Old 08-21-2021, 03:42 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

I am pretty sure it does not take "hours" to remove tint on a 911.

Tinting a 911 is basically the driver and passenger side windows, rear quarter panels and the rear windshield. Heck, most shops could install tint on your 911 in an hour.

I mean, SUVs and large four dour sedans only generally take no more than 1.5-2 hours. And that's for install.

Removal, should be half of those times. If that.

Quick Reply: Window Tinting