Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 03:48 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

Originally Posted by c1pher
I work with a couple dealers and learned they can’t CPO a car if it’s tinted so have to put in the effort to remove it. It ultimately affects trade in because tint removal is labor hours for removal. Now if the Porsche dealer doesn’t intend to CPO the car, it’s less of an issue.
Originally Posted by rk-d
I’ve never heard that. I’ve bought CPO BMW and Range Rovers that came tinted. Maybe a Porsche thing?
Yes, that would be surprising to me as well.

This is a typical CPO checklist for Porsche, and it does not note anything about window tinting from what I can see, and even includes a space for aftermarket modifications.

Maybe it varies from dealer to dealer?

Last edited by ipse dixit; 08-21-2021 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-21-2021, 04:41 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Received 163 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by russbert
After moving to Tennessee I started tinting all of my cars as it can get quite warm here and especially when I go visit one of my sons in Alabama. As I live in a small town, I really prefer a darker tint as well for privacy (although my friends tell their friends, who tell theirs) but not only does it look good on my Guards Red 992 during the day IMO and my wife's (the only two I really care about to be honest), I have been pleasantly surprised how much it does NOT brother me when I'm driving after dark (an initial concern as I'm in my late 60's).

As a FYI, neither my wife or I have EVER been stopped once for the tinting.
I havent seen too many pics of tinted GRs and thats the color I want too. Can you please post a pic so I can see it?
Old 08-21-2021, 05:53 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 434 Posts

20% all around with 70% front windshield here in Florida. Pretty much a necessity here. Privacy and heat rejection are great. So is protecting the Leather from UV.

Most cars have dark tinted windows here and cops don’t care unless you are running under 20% on your windshield.
Old 08-21-2021, 08:05 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by JiminyGlick
I havent seen too many pics of tinted GRs and thats the color I want too. Can you please post a pic so I can see it?
https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1264...uards-red.html

It's the 12th post from the top. If you need additional photos, PM me.
Old 08-21-2021, 08:17 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Originally Posted by russbert
https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1264...uards-red.html

It's the 12th post from the top. If you need additional photos, PM me.
Right, I remember your build now - you have a really nice build. I really like the way the tint "toughens up" the car a bit, I'm going to do a very similar look to that one.
The following users liked this post:
russbert (08-22-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 09:34 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

I have 35% tint on side windows and rear window. No tint on front window for my GR 992. Here in AZ, a good, heat rejecting ceramic tint is a must. I highly recommend Huper Optik. Couldn't find any Huper Optik dealers near me in AZ so went with Xpel Prime XR plus. Still think Huper Optik is better. Depending on outside lighting, 35% can look dark or somewhat light. It is certainly not dark enough for complete privacy, but I have never had an issue seeing out through the tint at night. I had 20% tint on one of my cars in the past and it was downright dangerous to drive.

JiminyGlick (08-21-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 09:43 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I have 35% tint on side windows and rear window. No tint on front window for my GR 992. Here in AZ, a good, heat rejecting ceramic tint is a must. I highly recommend Huper Optik. Couldn't find any Huper Optik dealers near me in AZ so went with Xpel Prime XR plus. Still think Huper Optik is better. Depending on outside lighting, 35% can look dark or somewhat light. It is certainly not dark enough for complete privacy, but I have never had an issue seeing out through the tint at night. I had 20% tint on one of my cars in the past and it was downright dangerous to drive.
Dang that looks good! That's very close to the look I'm going for. Very nice build, congrats!
AlterZgo (08-21-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 10:57 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 441 Posts

I’ve never heard that. I’ve bought CPO BMW and Range Rovers that came tinted. Maybe a Porsche thing?
I’m not talking about those marquees. I’m talking about Porsche. Just like if you come in with aftermarket wheels not on the build sheet. They can’t readily CPO it. Maybe some dealers get away with doing that but I wouldn’t buy from them is everything didn’t match.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:02 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

I don't like making my decisions based on future trade in value. I'm just going to enjoy the car in the best way possible.
Certainly not advising you on what to do with your car. Merely offering an explanation.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:04 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Yes, that would be surprising to me as well.

This is a typical CPO checklist for Porsche, and it does not note anything about window tinting from what I can see, and even includes a space for aftermarket modifications.

Maybe it varies from dealer to dealer?

Perhaps, I’ve never seen the checklist. I only know what two separate dealers in two different States told me.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:08 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Maybe some dealers have that tint policy since many sell out of state with different laws and they might have a problem registering or don’t want to risk registration issues. I will ask one of them why they do that if it’s not on the CPO checklist.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:12 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

I’m not talking about those marquees. I’m talking about Porsche. Just like if you come in with aftermarket wheels not on the build sheet. They can’t readily CPO it. Maybe some dealers get away with doing that but I wouldn’t buy from them is everything didn’t match.
You wouldn’t buy a CPO with tint? That’s a bit extreme.

Re: aftermarket wheels - I could potentially see it being an issue and, on the times that I do get new wheels, I store my OEMs for that reason alone.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:56 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

You wouldn’t buy a CPO with tint? That’s a bit extreme.

Re: aftermarket wheels - I could potentially see it being an issue and, on the times that I do get new wheels, I store my OEMs for that reason alone.
It’s my money, I spend it how I want. I suggest you do the same.
Old 08-22-2021, 12:19 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

It’s my money, I spend it how I want. I suggest you do the same.
🙄

Good luck on your crusade against tint.
Tip (08-23-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 01:18 AM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 434 Posts

Pretty sure this depends on the state. In Florida, majority of used cars have tinted windows.

Quick Reply: Window Tinting