Sponsored by:

A few GTS questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 04:11 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Just for the record, there is no structural difference between a non-sunroof and a sunroof car outside of the roof itself. The actual body is the same, they just use different inserts in the roof area and different interior trim. Of course there is a weight difference though.

Not suggesting you change your mind (we all build what we want which is good), this is just a FYI.
Originally Posted by dhirm5
feel free not to spec the roof, but i can't let your performance comment stand. there is nothing about a sunroof that is either an architectural flaw, or impedes performance in any meaningful way. it adds a bit of weight up top - that's it.
There are numerous articles and data points of torsional rigidity changes by cutting a hole in a roof and placing it in the center of the car . Not to mention adding weight at that point .https://www.thedrive.com/article/419...-get-a-sunroof

Note the comparisons of roof vs no roof vs Cab (992 is not done yet)
http://youwheel.com/home/2016/06/20/...ehensive-list/

This goes into explaining what torsional rigidity is and what makes it different https://www.tunedtrends.com/torsional-rigidity-on-cars/

In this part one sees cages and strut bars under hoods . Sunroofs destroy this .https://www.tunedtrends.com/torsional-rigidity-on-cars/

Now I understand that if its a leisure car and one finds it fun then who cares but it is a 160K 911 . Why not make it stick to the parameters of performance ? is the little bit of occasional sunlight worth it ?

Thats the question I have wrestled with internally . I have been driving my garage queen 07 Turbo 5 days and dont miss my glass roof in my 991.2 . When I get it back I am going too see if its a happy reunion worth making the copmpromise or not but I really think its over for the glass on this 992 .
Old 08-19-2021, 05:54 AM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Location: Right below the Northern Lights, when not travelling all around.
Received 176 Likes on 105 Posts

The following 5 users liked this post by TheGreatJ:
aggie57 (08-19-2021), escopeta (08-19-2021), SBAD (08-19-2021), slwong23 (08-19-2021), TimD (08-20-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 03:46 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/sun...ce-and-safety/

the roof is not structural in a modern porsche. skip it for the weight if that bothers you.
The following 2 users liked this post by dhirm5:
aggie57 (08-19-2021), TimD (08-20-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 04:09 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by slwong23
How often do you see/look at your car from that viewpoint? The top of my car never crosses my mind except for when I’m cleaning it and I still really don’t notice those black strips or that it’s slightly more narrow than the front/back glass.
Unless you're a midget, you see the roof of your car all the time. I'm 5'11" and I really wish I hadn't gotten the glass roof. The black roof distracts from the lines of a the car (unless you have a black car). Mine is chalk. I even had someone ask me if my car was a convertible. Oh well, my C4S will get sold/traded within a few months I predict as I'm already on lists for a Targa and TT.
The following users liked this post:
SBAD (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 04:24 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
There are numerous articles and data points of torsional rigidity changes by cutting a hole in a roof and placing it in the center of the car . Not to mention adding weight at that point .https://www.thedrive.com/article/419...-get-a-sunroof

Note the comparisons of roof vs no roof vs Cab (992 is not done yet)
http://youwheel.com/home/2016/06/20/...ehensive-list/

This goes into explaining what torsional rigidity is and what makes it different https://www.tunedtrends.com/torsional-rigidity-on-cars/

In this part one sees cages and strut bars under hoods . Sunroofs destroy this .https://www.tunedtrends.com/torsional-rigidity-on-cars/

Now I understand that if its a leisure car and one finds it fun then who cares but it is a 160K 911 . Why not make it stick to the parameters of performance ? is the little bit of occasional sunlight worth it ?

Thats the question I have wrestled with internally . I have been driving my garage queen 07 Turbo 5 days and dont miss my glass roof in my 991.2 . When I get it back I am going too see if its a happy reunion worth making the copmpromise or not but I really think its over for the glass on this 992 .
All fine and dandy except Porsche do not 'cut a hole in the roof' in a 992. The image TheGreatJ posts is helpful, as you can see the car is built with a hole in the roof regardless of the ultimate build spec. This seems common on modern cars, our '14 Beetle is the same. Many years back my father in law had a '73 Alfa GTV with a full length Webasto canvass roof, now that was a serious hole in the roof and man did it flex. Then there's the various race cars I've build over the years with full or 1/2 cages which in older cars made a huge difference to their handling etc.

But in a 992, just get what you like and be happy that as far as the torsional rigidity is concerned it's pretty much irrelevant.
TheGreatJ (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 04:26 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by wintershade
Unless you're a midget, you see the roof of your car all the time. I'm 5'11" and I really wish I hadn't gotten the glass roof. The black roof distracts from the lines of a the car (unless you have a black car). Mine is chalk. I even had someone ask me if my car was a convertible. Oh well, my C4S will get sold/traded within a few months I predict as I'm already on lists for a Targa and TT.
That's not what I was saying, I agree the black roof stands out, which is one of the reasons why I like it - I think the contrast looks great against lighter colors. I was more so referring to the slightly more narrow glass roof vs. the front/back windows - never noticed it until it was called out in this thread, and I have yet to look at my car from that same view.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:23 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/sun...ce-and-safety/

the roof is not structural in a modern porsche. skip it for the weight if that bothers you.
Intersting article . It wish it footnoted to sources . Did you real the comments below it ? I am not criticizing the roof as a daily driving "fun" car for someone who really loves this . I wouldn't even tell someone not to buy a cab if his heart were set on it (ok maybe I would .. in fact yeah I would .. I would tell him buy a roadster like a 718 GTS if he wanted a convertible ) . Back to point ..,. most of there comments below it hinged on my logic about the roof and I would add that it is a 160K car with performance being a central feature . Is the sunlight worth it ? I guess thats an individual choice . To be fair I do get my 991.2 GTS back soon and it has the roof . My 997 Turbo lacks it ., So far I don't miss it. Will my car's return feel like a welcome home to it ? Only time will tell but I am keeping open to the idea.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:57 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

I prefer sunroof delete for the looks. The car looks more elegant with a clean roof and no lines or complications.
txpackers (08-20-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 10:13 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

The net of this thread has me questioning my plan of going cabrio this time around. my 991.2 feels like it's on rails at all times and I *love* that feeling. The list of torsional rigidity measurements has the 992 at 39k and the cabs in the 11ish range.I have no concept of whether that's noticeable while driving. Cab owners I'd appreciate your input. Is there a meaningful difference in feel between driving a cab 992 and coupe?

Note the lists of torsional rigidity measurements do not break out sunroof vs not. In fact the vast majority do have a sunroof - whether glass or steel - that 39k is the number, sunroof or not.

EDIT - the 11k is from 991. Because 992 is so much stiffer - 991 coupe - my current car - is ~30k. cab 992 will prob be ~15k or so - but my question still stands.

Last edited by dhirm5; 08-19-2021 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:26 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,061 Likes on 2,029 Posts

I opted for no sunroof, as my wife and I never open the sunroof in our Odyssey.
Old 08-20-2021, 03:52 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 162 Posts

I love my glass sunroof. It lets sunlight into a dark interior and when open it improves my driving experience by letting in more air and sound. The sun shade also works well to reduce heat when its too hot to open.
Old 08-21-2021, 07:35 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

I too have agonized over this, my last GTS was silver with a glass roof, my 992 GTS will be black with a glass roof and black/Bordeaux interior.

Quick Reply: A few GTS questions