Sponsored by:

992 base or BMW M3

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 09:55 PM
Porsched
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by c1pher
Both are amazing cars and you are fortunate to be able to even consider either. With that out of the way, I’d get the BMW if you need a back seat. But if I need a backseat, I’d prefer a Macan or Cayenne Coupe.
Ive read a lot of good things about the Macan, especially the GTS. But we don’t need 2 SUV’s in the family. As good as the Macan is I have a hard time thinking it drives better than the M3.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:56 PM
Porsched
Advanced

Originally Posted by VintageRacer
The BMW is for you.

I bought the 992 but what do I know?

Nice color! And you went with regular wheels. Looks great to me.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:29 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

I've been driving a F80 M3 for the last 6 yrs and just got my 992 S last week. The M3 comes w/ free maintenance for 3 yrs (used to be 4) so it is cheaper to maintain than a porsche. The M3 (I'm sure this will hold for the G80 as well as my F80) is noticeably more useful and roomy than a 911. The M3 feels like a very sporty sedan... but still a sedan. The 911 feels very low slung and like a pure bred sports car... which it is. The M3 is not the best in any category but is good in all categories. It really is a great all-a-rounder. The 911 is great at being a sports car and mediocre to poor at being a family car.

I wouldn't worry about depreciation. WIth the way the world is going, it's hard to predict if used car prices will stay abnormally high or not. Besides... why are you focusing on selling the car now instead of focusing on enjoying whatever car you get? I don't buy a car for resale value. I buy it for enjoyment and utility for my needs. But if you must know, 911s have lower depreciation than M3s. You can insulate yourself from this by leasing the M3. BMWs traditionally lease extremely well with high residuals and low money factors. 911 leases are not that great. The interest rates are a lot higher and residuals are a lot lower.

From what I can glean in your post, price is a big deal and you could definitely use a real backseat for the family. Get the M3. It is much cheaper to maintain and to buy - particuarly if you lease it and particuarly since you are worried about resale (means you probably won't keep it for the long run). The 911 is more of a passion buy and is definitely not a practical decision. I'm keeping my M3 in addition to my new 992 S because I don't see how I can just have the 911. It's too impractical.

The following 2 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
doug_999 (08-14-2021), Porsched (08-15-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 10:38 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 419 Posts

992 is the answer.
And look at your screen name, Porsched, it says it all
Old 08-12-2021, 11:18 PM
Skarz
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
this is rich coming from you .
Hit the nail on the head there! That was my thought as well. How many times have we heard his opinion on exhaust repeated in the same threads.
Old 08-12-2021, 11:23 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 134 Posts

For my 80K I would get the M2 and save 20K. My other choice in this general price range would be an LC500.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jaye Bass:
pkalhan (08-06-2023), Porsched (08-15-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 11:30 PM
Skarz
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

I had a F80 for 3 years and traded it in last fall for a base C2, which I received this February. I thought the M3 was a great car and the right car for me at the time, but after several years I decided I was able to afford the car I always longed for, as my kids both graduated from college. I am glad I had the M3, but after awhile it didn’t feel special anymore and the suspension tuning did not suit me; it was somewhat harsh.

The 992 C2 is next level in comparison, although the M3 was the prior gen and I am still enjoying the honeymoon phase with the 992, so I will just leave it at that. I think if My kids were younger, requiring me to think about the usable second row, I would have kept the BMW. It was a great car. In your case, it would seem an M3 or possibly a Macan as someone suggested, may be a better overall fit at this time. I think Porsche ownership decisions often involve more than just logic. I expect to enjoy my Porsche for many years.
Old 08-13-2021, 12:21 AM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 264 Likes on 173 Posts

I assume you drove both? Usually all the questions are gone after that...

If you really need back seats and it's your only car - 992 is basically a two seater, you can't throw anybody other then dwarf kids into the back seats.

If you like sports cars - 992 is your car. If price is a concern - get a 991... They are still absolutely fantastic. Also check 718s if you really want to buy new. No useless back seats and fantastic balance and steering. Surprisingly huge amount of luggage space with two trunks.

Personally, I didn't drive latest M3, but drove the others... and always rent BMW for family vacations in Europe... They are fun, considering circumstances, but after you used to driving Porsche - it's never even close comparison. Too heavy, steering is too empty, made for soccer moms with cellphone in one hand... you just feel it all the time. All the time. Lots of power in M3, but there are other cars with power...
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Last edited by t-design; 08-13-2021 at 12:31 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by t-design:
AlexCeres (08-13-2021), Porsched (08-15-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 01:36 AM
seanhaus
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts

Funny to see this post pop-up and the active discussion around it.

I currently own a 992 and my wife drives a Macan S. These are our only two cars, but with the recent edition of our first kiddo, I'm potentially adding another car (in addition to the 992 + Macan) to the stable and the M3 seems like it may be a nice all around daily for me when toting the kid around if the wife is away. I have actually never owned an M car before but am curious to hear what others think about my situation or if I should be cross shopping another car in a similar price/performance class as the M. I do not want to drive an SUV or a wagon unless it's the RS6 or AMG E, but those are impossible to come by in the Bay Area.

Last edited by seanhaus; 08-13-2021 at 01:37 AM.
Old 08-13-2021, 01:39 AM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by inthesticks
Having an SUV available, if I could reasonably afford the 911 I'd get it. (but I guess I'm in the minority on this thread.)

That's basically my scenario - wife has an SUV, I'll have a 911. Maybe I have to drive a boring SUV more often than I'd like, but the tradeoff is worth it to me. (Again, personal choice.)
You're not in a minority of one. I agree.

Porsched - If you’ve got an SUV in the family already and one child; this is totally workable. The M3 is nothing like the 911. Have your cake and eat it. While the eating is still good.
The following users liked this post:
pkalhan (08-06-2023)
Old 08-13-2021, 01:41 AM
Porsched
Advanced

Originally Posted by pitt911
I will suggest getting the new M3
I drove the G80 on two occasions and it is fantastic
I have owned multiple M cars including 4 M3 , 3 of which are/were F80 : regular, comp, and currently M3CS
I will suggest leasing. You can swap out of a lease quickly with minimal or no incentive if you have a change of heart or find yourself comfortable paying Up to a 911 . I did that on two F80 and they moved within three hours
also to me the grill is a non issue in particular on darker color. May I suggest Tanzanite blue .
Also this bucket seats look awesome and they feel very comfortable, though I did not have much seat time in them
also maintenance is free for three years other than brakes which you can add coverage for like 800 dollar through BMW
good luck
How would you compare the G80 to your other M3’s? I had a long test drive in an M4CS last year and it was loud and kind of rough. I then tried a 992 and it felt a lot more comfortable around town and somehow precise and more controllable on twisty roads. I would choose the 992 over that M4CS and pay the extra money. That doesn’t mean the M4CS was not a great car. More like I’m a crappy driver.. and felt the 992 was easier for me to handle.
Old 08-13-2021, 01:47 AM
Porsched
Advanced

Originally Posted by seanhaus
Funny to see this post pop-up and the active discussion around it.

I currently own a 992 and my wife drives a Macan S. These are our only two cars, but with the recent edition of our first kiddo, I'm potentially adding another car (in addition to the 992 + Macan) to the stable and the M3 seems like it may be a nice all around daily for me when toting the kid around if the wife is away. I have actually never owned an M car before but am curious to hear what others think about my situation or if I should be cross shopping another car in a similar price/performance class as the M. I do not want to drive an SUV or a wagon unless it's the RS6 or AMG E, but those are impossible to come by in the Bay Area.
Isn’t the 992 great with a small child? Not that I would dissuade you from getting another fun car.
Old 08-13-2021, 01:54 AM
Porsched
Advanced

Originally Posted by uniqueMR
992 is the answer.
And look at your screen name, Porsched, it says it all
LOL. Very good point.
Old 08-13-2021, 03:42 AM
xs2k
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

Get the 992. Your wife already has a SUV and the M3 will never be a 911. With the M3, you'll live your life filled with regrets, so take the leap of faith. If money is an issue, just wait a few years to buy the 992. A "base" is not really going to base after you option it out. Prepare for that. This is basically buying a rolex vs very nice seiko. I have lots of seikos including the grand seikos, but it'll never be rolex.
The following 2 users liked this post by xs2k:
member67 (08-13-2021), Peter992 (08-13-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 04:24 AM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

I was looking for 2+2 coupe with manual and considered M2 and the 992 (didn't really like the m4). Almost got the M2 as it was almost half the cost, but my wife convinced me to get the 992. Why spend all that money for something that I wasn't 100% happy with and would still secretly lust for the Porsche? My DD is a RS3 and my wife drives a Mazda CX-5 haha

Last edited by westcoastj; 08-13-2021 at 04:32 AM.

Quick Reply: 992 base or BMW M3