Sponsored by:

Auto Start hack

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 07:57 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by rappy992
Thanks for the info! I was hoping someone knew a way to make it part of the user profle. The A/C hack was nice because I don't have to do anything on start-up -- A/C setting is remembered. I hate having to hit "sport" when it stops at the first traffic light.
doesn't really sound like a hack. If the temp is set that low you would need the motor on to continue the cooling process. Probably.
The following users liked this post:
dhirm5 (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 08:40 PM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
But that also means sports exhaust on, if you have it.
yet another setting to configure in Individual mode…

Why else have it?
Old 08-14-2021, 05:38 PM
rdv
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Same. Normal should be called watered down mode. I cant stand driving in it. It shifts to 8th going 35MPH. lol.
LOL, this is a classic “first world problem”.
I just suck it up, press the dash screen once to pull up the car settings, then once more on the auto stop/start icon to shut it down. Then I press the nav or audio button for my usual drive.
Three pushes and it’s all good.
But hey, I do understand the point that it kind sucks to always have to shut it off but you can thank CAFE requirements for this silliness. If we didn’t have CAFE requirements then there would be no such thing as stop/start.
Cheers
Ross

Last edited by rdv; 08-14-2021 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:04 PM
DamonsCarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

The solution is here http://t-design9.com/memory_module_porsche.html
BIGWORM (08-15-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 11:21 PM
ritchieg
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 42 Posts

As it says **** version only remembers **** settings. If you want to shut off the car in sport or sport + then it will start in sport or sport + and Auto/stop/start will be turned off as long as you stay in those modes. I put their module on my 718 Boxster with the buttons on the console and it kept the sport and Auto stop/start in the same position when starting the car as when you shut it off. You didn't have to be in sport or sport + to keep Auto start/stop turned off. I think on the console models all of the wiring goes through the same connector and they can make changes to it. On the **** version there are two different runs for the wires and so far they cannot connect to the two different harnesses. They asked if I they could use my car for a test in January and I said yes but they haven't contacted me
so far. I think they found out it would be too difficult on the **** version.
Old 08-15-2021, 12:00 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by rdv
LOL, this is a classic “first world problem”.
I just suck it up, press the dash screen once to pull up the car settings, then once more on the auto stop/start icon to shut it down. Then I press the nav or audio button for my usual drive.
Three pushes and it’s all good.
But hey, I do understand the point that it kind sucks to always have to shut it off but you can thank CAFE requirements for this silliness. If we didn’t have CAFE requirements then there would be no such thing as stop/start.
Cheers
Ross
Im not mad about having to turn the dial once to sport mode. I just dont understand or accept auto mode shifting into 8th at 35mph. That's my only issue with it.
Old 08-15-2021, 02:42 AM
lemonorlime
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Im not mad about having to turn the dial once to sport mode. I just dont understand or accept auto mode shifting into 8th at 35mph. That's my only issue with it.
Do you want cleaner air in the cities, quieter neighborhoods, etc.? Then you need regulation. Porsche is complying with regulations (consumption, emissions, etc.), while still providing the driver the option to use Sport mode.
peterdouglas (08-22-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 09:04 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Originally Posted by ritchieg
As it says **** version only remembers **** settings. If you want to shut off the car in sport or sport + then it will start in sport or sport + and Auto/stop/start will be turned off as long as you stay in those modes. I put their module on my 718 Boxster with the buttons on the console and it kept the sport and Auto stop/start in the same position when starting the car as when you shut it off. You didn't have to be in sport or sport + to keep Auto start/stop turned off. I think on the console models all of the wiring goes through the same connector and they can make changes to it. On the **** version there are two different runs for the wires and so far they cannot connect to the two different harnesses. They asked if I they could use my car for a test in January and I said yes but they haven't contacted me
so far. I think they found out it would be too difficult on the **** version.
Doesn't work on 992's. Prior models had a discrete switch that could be mimicked by adding a separate timer module to this circuit. Not an option on 992's as the "switch" is now am Icon on the PCM GUI that works with the PCM Programming.
Old 08-15-2021, 11:20 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

My hack is simpler. The AGM battery is so crappy that it doesn't have proper state of charge to allow for ***. Of course the dealer doesn't see as much and refuses to replace it, but that's a different thread...
This is an easy programming with PIWIS, I doubt any dealer would do it.
Bluehighways (08-15-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 01:30 PM
rappy992
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone worry about accumulated engine damage with the engine constantly stopping and starting? -- Especially if you hit the throttle a little too hard at the stoplight before the oil gets everywhere it should be?

Having owned a 986 and 997 despite their associated cylinder bore scoring issues, I'm a little concerned that AS/S will overwhelm any precautions I take (even installing a set of nickies) to keep the car going past warranty. After all, AS/S gives me *at least* a factor of 10x or 20x more engine start cycles per year on my daily driver, and an AS/S startup is significantly different from a morning startup.

In an AS/S startup; the cylinder bores are already hot, the coolant is already hot, the coolant is not MOVING, the timing advance is already changed, more energy (fuel) is dumped into the cylinder because the car immediately starts moving, etc. That sounds like a situation that Porsche engines have never experienced before.

I, for one, think I should be able to turn AS/S off until I see proof it will not force me to dump this Porsche in 4 years.

Last edited by rappy992; 08-22-2021 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:09 PM
Thescout13
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 81 Posts

Does anyone worry about accumulated engine damage with the engine constantly stopping and starting? -- Especially if you hit the throttle a little too hard at the stoplight before the oil gets everywhere it should be?

Having owned a 986 and 997 despite their associated cylinder bore scoring issues, I'm a little concerned that AS/S will overwhelm any precautions I take (even installing a set of nickies) to keep the car going past warranty. After all, AS/S gives me *at least* a factor of 10x or 20x more engine start cycles per year on my daily driver, and an AS/S startup is significantly different from a morning startup.

In an AS/S startup; the cylinder bores are already hot, the coolant is already hot, the coolant is not MOVING, the timing advance is already changed, more energy (fuel) is dumped into the cylinder because the car immediately starts moving, etc. That sounds like a situation that Porsche engines have never experienced before.

I, for one, think I should be able to turn AS/S off until I see proof it will not force me to dump this Porsche in 4 years.
Honestly, considering this technology has been around for nearly 15 years with no long term effects reported (or at least not widely reported), starter technology and engine technology have advanced light years beyond the 90s, heck even the 2000s, and some VERY smart people who design engines that have to live up to a warranty (and the existence of extended warranties and even CPO warranties on 10 year old cars), I would say you are good. There have been many a lawsuit about engineering decisions to put something in a car for emissions workaround or cost savings that eventually grenade the engine (see BMW cases on water pumps and N54 turbos that led to massive settlements and greatly extended warranties), car manufacturers are a lot less willing to gamble with something that is literally on every single one of their cars now.

So I would say the risk is infinitesimally small.

But, as you have noted, they give us the option to turn this off, so if you aren’t comfortable with even the tiny risk, well luckily you have a mechanism that makes the risk (if any) even smaller.

At the end of the day you turning it off every time you drive doesn’t hurt anything or anyone else other than potentially your wallet and arguably the environment at the tinniest of margins (probably just as infinitesimally small).

So, do what makes you feel comfortable long term, this is NOT one of those decisions people make where, despite the risk being super low, your choice is net negative impact on society or other people

Last edited by Thescout13; 08-22-2021 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-22-2021, 06:21 PM
rappy992
Rennlist Member

Thanks to everyone for all their insightful comments -- I picked up a few great tips.

Also, that last post was probably too far off this thread topic, so I retract the question. Here is a much better thread full of insightful comments about the 992's 9A2 engine, scoring, AS/S etc. Unfortunately the most authoritative expert is probably disinclined to comment, and I don't blame him one bit.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1074...l-inquiry.html

Lastly, just adding to the most recent wisdom imparted. Let's not forget the EPA civil enforcement action against VW (they own Porsche) in which multiple models by VW, Audi, and Porsche were found to cheat on the EPA testing procedure. I think it was something like sensing whether the steering wheel was turned or not. You'll have to verify for yourself, but I think it was: straight wheel --> car is on the testing dyno --> compliant ECU program, turned wheel --> car has a real driver --> non-compliant ECU program. .....I'm thinking that was on every single car in the EPA settlement, and it seems like quite a risk to corporate.

(edit) I guess the question I should have asked is: If you could turn AS/S off in your profile on the 991, why did they turn that capability off on the 992?

Last edited by rappy992; 08-22-2021 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:55 PM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

I am responsible for an engineering team that designs automotive engines. I always have my start-stop system deactivated.

Just a bit of logic. Do you really want to go from no oil pressure or flow, so hot residual oil in your bearings to high boost in 1 or 2 seconds? The system works well for low output engines/vehicles driven moderately, but it is a very different choice at 150 hp/L in my experience. It saves a lot of fuel on the various global government fuel economy tests, but not very much in the real world versus the durability risks that are taken if the vehicle is driven hard.
The following 3 users liked this post by Michigan 992:
Bluehighways (08-23-2021), lucycan (08-23-2021), rappy992 (08-22-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 12:25 AM
rappy992
Rennlist Member

Thanks for chiming in Michigan 992.
I'm an engineer too, and I usually find myself pushing back on bone-headed decisions from the money guys, but I just can't get my head around this one. I know *you* are tracking, but just to break it down Barney-style....

1) You could set your profile on the 991 so AS/S is turned off every time you start the car (I have a 992, so any 991 owners please correct me if I have misread your posts)
2) On the 992, you have to do an extra step every time you start the car to turn off the AS/S
3) Anyone who can think critically is led to the conclusion that AS/S causes more damage to the engine than not having it. (I understand your post best)
4) Porsche does not need to force AS/S on every time you start in order to get CAFE credits. The 991 approach was apparently sufficient. As long as the owner has to consciously choose change the setting, even once, the CAFE requirement should be met. After all, Porsche does not get penalized if I choose to launch at every stoplight and average 5 miles per gallon.
5) The "nag factor" of having to turn AS/S off every time, will cause some fraction of owners to just accept it

So why would a manufacturer change the settings on their car in a way that will decrease the life of the engine, and likely cause a higher rate of engine failures in the future?

Last edited by rappy992; 08-23-2021 at 01:08 AM.
Old 08-23-2021, 01:08 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

So why would a manufacturer change the settings on their car in a way that will decrease the life of the engine, and guarantee a higher rate of failures in the future?
Just a guess . . . but after the VW/Porsche/Audi Diesel-Gate matter, I'd imagine neither they nor any other OEM wants to run afoul of anything even remotely might have a similar smell to it. To the best of my knowledge, all OEM's are presently following the "must defeat at every engine start" logic.

Quick Reply: Auto Start hack