Sponsored by:

We Have Our Delivery Package

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 04:37 PM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Received 2,570 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by garthg
This does not sound like good advice to me. I don't feel like getting a ticket just to test the enforcement. The states where I've lived do enforce the requirement, except PA which did not have it.
In Massachusetts there's no specific requirement as to how you attach the plate; it just has to be "in front". I'm really thinking of just sticking the plate on with this. I think I even have some of this tape in my garage. It will come off with gentle heat from a heat gun.
As I said, if the plate falls off, a replacement is only $10. But this stuff is made for attaching trim, so the hold is pretty strong.

As a fellow MA driver, and someone who has talked to a few officers about this law, I can confirm that a plate is required (but rarely enforced). Ive had 3 Porsches without front plates over the last 6 years and have never been stopped or questioned about it. The only time that it is 100% enforced is when you have to get your annual inspection, and they will want you to show up with it secure on the front. I use the same 3M tape that was suggested, and have never had an issue, and pulls right off when inspection is complete. MA is one of the more strict states when it comes to stating the need for 2 plates, but it seems that most officers look the other way for nicer cars like a Porsche etc because they "get it". As long as you arent being pulled over for doing something really stupid, they have looked the other way for me and most car guys in New England.
ALSO!! Its only a fix it ticket, meaning as long as you put one on and get the ticket signed off on, you dont have to pay the fine.
Best of Luck! Im sure Ill be getting a ticket now that Ive Jinxed myself with this post!
Old 08-10-2021, 04:40 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by garthg
This does not sound like good advice to me. I don't feel like getting a ticket just to test the enforcement. The states where I've lived do enforce the requirement, except PA which did not have it.
In Massachusetts there's no specific requirement as to how you attach the plate; it just has to be "in front". I'm really thinking of just sticking the plate on with this. I think I even have some of this tape in my garage. It will come off with gentle heat from a heat gun.
As I said, if the plate falls off, a replacement is only $10. But this stuff is made for attaching trim, so the hold is pretty strong.
Originally Posted by toph4242
As a fellow MA driver, and someone who has talked to a few officers about this law, I can confirm that a plate is required (but rarely enforced). Ive had 3 Porsches without front plates over the last 6 years and have never been stopped or questioned about it. The only time that it is 100% enforced is when you have to get your annual inspection, and they will want you to show up with it secure on the front. I use the same 3M tape that was suggested, and have never had an issue, and pulls right off when inspection is complete. MA is one of the more strict states when it comes to stating the need for 2 plates, but it seems that most officers look the other way for nicer cars like a Porsche etc because they "get it". As long as you arent being pulled over for doing something really stupid, they have looked the other way for me and most car guys in New England.
ALSO!! Its only a fix it ticket, meaning as long as you put one on and get the ticket signed off on, you dont have to pay the fine.
Best of Luck! Im sure Ill be getting a ticket now that Ive Jinxed myself with this post!
Easier to ask for forgiveness than to get permission.
The following users liked this post:
toph4242 (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 04:40 PM
pstlf3
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks man, it sounds great, hope I can do my own European delivery next year!

have a nice day
Old 08-11-2021, 01:35 PM
Bassman51
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

I haven’t had a front plates on my Porsche in NJ for years. That includes at the annual state inspection - performed at a state inspection station. Haven’t had a problem yet.

Quick Reply: We Have Our Delivery Package