Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

InnoDrive add to 2020 992 anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 03:08 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 828 Likes on 460 Posts
Default InnoDrive add to 2020 992 anyone?

So my car is equipped with all the smart drive tech for the 2020 model year, ACC, lane change, IR, etc.

I’m aware that Taycan owners are able to software upgrade to the InnoDrive but are we on the 992 able to do the same? Anyone tried?
Old 08-06-2021, 03:16 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,277 Posts

If you have all the necessary hardware, and it sounds like you do, I don’t see why not? It’s a pretty cool feature/system.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 08-06-2021 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:21 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
If you have all the necessary hardware, and it sounds like you do, I don’t see why not? It’s a pretty cool feature/system.

I asked my dealer and he’s looking into it but said so far can’t find anything on it. Was hoping someone here’s done it so I can provide data.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:40 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by 992Sam
I asked my dealer and he’s looking into it but said so far can’t find anything on it. Was hoping someone here’s done it so I can provide data.

I suspect that not many 992’s buyers opted for Innodrive? When I was looking to option my ‘21 build with Innodrive, I asked my SA what he thought of the system and whether any prior customers had it….he didn’t know anything about the option, and had never sold a car with one. Good luck.

Personally, I don’t think Porsche has done much to promote this option, and very little about it on the Internet…but I find it very useful, and a couple of steps more capable than just the ACC.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 08-06-2021 at 03:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
992Sam (08-06-2021), Yojeffo (08-06-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 11:17 AM
ecu
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also interested in understanding more about this. I spec'd mine with Innodrive but the dealer says it's a waste of money and I should deselect. I definitely want Adaptive Cruise Control and Speed Limit Indicator, but the latter only seems to be available with Lane Keep Assist (listed in the configurator as "Lane Keep Assist incl. Speed limit indicator"). Both options together exceed the price of Innodrive, which I think includes both ACC and Speed Limit Indicator anyway, so surely it makes more sense just to choose Innodrive in my case? If I don't like Innodrive as a whole, can I just use ACC and Speed Limit Indicator functions without the rest of it? This is in the UK, in case it matters.
Old 08-08-2021, 11:41 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by ecu
I'm also interested in understanding more about this. I spec'd mine with Innodrive but the dealer says it's a waste of money and I should deselect. I definitely want Adaptive Cruise Control and Speed Limit Indicator, but the latter only seems to be available with Lane Keep Assist (listed in the configurator as "Lane Keep Assist incl. Speed limit indicator"). Both options together exceed the price of Innodrive, which I think includes both ACC and Speed Limit Indicator anyway, so surely it makes more sense just to choose Innodrive in my case? If I don't like Innodrive as a whole, can I just use ACC and Speed Limit Indicator functions without the rest of it? This is in the UK, in case it matters.

I’ve had my 992S for about 4 months. I’m in the US. Up until a few weeks ago, I only used the ACC, with the active lane keep assist selected. The ACC is decent enough, and will help you maintain your distance behind the car in front of you..it will automatically slow/speed up, and come to a complete stop if need be. The PID (Porsche Innodrive) is definitely a step up from ACC. IMO, it’s the closest thing Porsche has to autonomous driving.

My very first example of how cool it is…when entering a round-about (traffic circle) near me, the PID system knew I was approaching a traffic circle (it uses your position and nav/road map information to determine the appropriate actions) and began to automatically slow down to about 5mph (I had been going about 45mp as I approached the traffic circle…there was NO car in front of me, and had I only been using the ACC, it would have continued into the traffic circle at full speed. With the PID, however, it slowed down to a crawl, and I had time to react to any oncoming traffic. There was none, so I let the PID take control. I did nothing. It then entered the traffic circle and navigated around the circle at the posted speed limit, 25mph, and when I put on my turn indicator, it then steered the car out of the traffic circle at the next available exit point. I was blown away at how well the system works…and this was only one example.

For me, anyway, I think the PID is the most under-rated option that Porsche offers. For me, I don’t think the PID is a “waste of money”. In fact, far from it. Now that I have a better idea of it’s capabilities, I can think of several other options I would have left off, if i had to trim my budget to get the PID system.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 08-08-2021 at 11:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
DES GTS (08-08-2021), earldorsey (11-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 11:51 AM
ecu
5th Gear

Thanks Cody, that's reassuring - sounds like selecting Innodrive makes sense in my case as it saves me money over selecting Lane Keep Assist to get Speed Limit Indicator + ACC individually, and it sounds like the system works better than the dealer is saying. Cheers
Old 08-08-2021, 11:57 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by ecu
Thanks Cody, that's reassuring - sounds like selecting Innodrive makes sense in my case as it saves me money over selecting Lane Keep Assist to get Speed Limit Indicator + ACC individually, and it sounds like the system works better than the dealer is saying. Cheers

If you can find a car on your dealer’s lot that has PID, there’s nothing like trying it out, yourself.

As an aside, if one were only to read the Porsche literature on PID, I suspect you would think it was a waste of money?

The PID info starts at about 9:25 if you want to see a video of someone using it…not a 992, but the system doesn’t care what car…

Here is another vid. This guy is on the freeway and basically doing nothing. The PID system will check every 15-20 sec to make sure you have your hands on the wheel and alert you…but all you need to do is give the steering wheel the tiniest of feedback and it resumes. Notice how it navigates (turns and slows around curves).

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 08-08-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 12:12 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the info Cody but we have a thread already on the virtues of PID… I started this thread because nobody was answering my question over there regarding adding it. Let’s try to keep thread on topic so I can get an answer hopefully. 😏
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 12:30 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Thanks for the info Cody but we have a thread already on the virtues of PID… I started this thread because nobody was answering my question over there regarding adding it. Let’s try to keep thread on topic so I can get an answer hopefully. 😏

​​​​​​Just answering a question from a fellow Rennlister about PID. That said, I seriously doubt a response to his PID question, from anyone, will discourage people from answering your question about a PID retrofit…if they know the answer? If anything, his question, and my answer to his question, helps keep your thread alive. I hope you get an answer to your question, soon.

I believe the thread you are referring to was started by me, on 7-29….?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 08-08-2021 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 12:34 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
​​​​​​Just answering a question from a fellow Rennlister about PID. That said, I seriously doubt a response to his PID question, from anyone, will discourage people from answering your question about a PID retrofit…if they know the answer? If anything, his question, and my answer to his question, helps keep your thread alive.

I believe the thread you are referring to was started by me, on 7-29….?
Yes that is the thread, good one too btw.. ... but having been on online forums for decades (literally since the beginning of the internet and before when we had BBS's) and having moderated a few, I have seen derailment totally change the topic of a thread... I can bump the thread every so often...

That said, I'm not a moderator here, and I appreciate the info, but I want info on the retro-fit which surely must be out there... I'm just bleeding edge at this point in asking about it. The Taycan can be retro fitted so it makes sense the 992 can as well.

Old 08-08-2021, 01:02 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Yes that is the thread, good one too btw.. ... but having been on online forums for decades (literally since the beginning of the internet and before when we had BBS's) and having moderated a few, I have seen derailment totally change the topic of a thread... I can bump the thread every so often...

That said, I'm not a moderator here, and I appreciate the info, but I want info on the retro-fit which surely must be out there... I'm just bleeding edge at this point in asking about it. The Taycan can be retro fitted so it makes sense the 992 can as well.

Understand, no prob…

FYI…and not wishing to derail 😎 anything…,but ditto on time spent on forums. Been on many since the beginning of the Internet. My main interest are in high school and college sports forums, which can often get very heated…so know how easily they can get deflected. That said, I’ve always found that if the topic of a thread is of real interest to posters, no matter how many twists, turns and deflections a thread might endure, eventually, it will come back on topic if there is more to say. The fact of the matter is - those that want to stay on topic are free to jump in at any time…nobody is stopping anyone from bringing the train back onto the tracks, so to speak. Threads die, or simply fade away, often after a few days, when there’s nothing more to say about a particular topic….and usually (my experience) that’s when threads get hijacked.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 08-08-2021 at 01:14 PM.
992Sam (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 01:15 PM
ecu
5th Gear

Apologies, my fault, I hijacked the thread here. But thank you for the video links, very informative - will definitely be adding the option.
Old 08-08-2021, 01:19 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by ecu
Apologies, my fault, I hijacked the thread here. But thank you for the video links, very informative - will definitely be adding the option.

Don’t give it a 2nd thought. Happy to help a fellow Porsche owner, or soon to be owner.
Old 08-08-2021, 01:27 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Hey Sam -

When calling into a sports radio show, or posting on a sports forum (where I mainly hang out)….I try to live by something Jim Rome use to say before one of his shows on ESPN: “Have a take, and just don’t suck”. Took me a while to appreciate his sentiment, but I get it. IMO, most radio show callers comments or posts are rubbish, and have little information value.

Cheers and best of luck finding an answer to your question.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 08-08-2021 at 01:29 PM.
992Sam (08-08-2021)

Quick Reply: InnoDrive add to 2020 992 anyone?