Sponsored by:

InnoDrive add to 2020 992 anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 05:01 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 992Sam
So my car is equipped with all the smart drive tech for the 2020 model year, ACC, lane change, IR, etc.

I’m aware that Taycan owners are able to software upgrade to the InnoDrive but are we on the 992 able to do the same? Anyone tried?
As you mentioned, in March the Taycan was issued free software updates to be carried out at the dealership. After those updates, over the air updates will become possible (Functions on Demand). No mention of other models.

My point is this - I wonder if the PCM hardware version is the limiting factor for the updates ? As you know, the 2022 992 is getting the Taycan PCM version (PCM6).

I think you’ll only get a clear answer from Germany, or perhaps PCNA. And it may need to come from someone higher up their technology food chain.
The following users liked this post:
992Sam (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 05:10 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 826 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14
As you mentioned, in March the Taycan was issued free software updates to be carried out at the dealership. After those updates, over the air updates will become possible (Functions on Demand). No mention of other models.

My point is this - I wonder if the PCM hardware version is the limiting factor for the updates ? As you know, the 2022 992 is getting the Taycan PCM version (PCM6).

I think you’ll only get a clear answer from Germany, or perhaps PCNA. And it may need to come from someone higher up their technology food chain.
solid info, thanks for that. I didn’t know the 2022 went to a new PCM… ?

I’ve got an inquiry with two dealers and so far no info. It’s amazing to me that VW auto groups technology center is literally 5 miles form me yet I can’t get a good answer from two dealers in their shadow. 🤷🏻
Benedict14 (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 05:33 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

I’ve got an inquiry with two dealers and so far no info. It’s amazing to me that VW auto groups technology center is literally 5 miles form me yet I can’t get a good answer from two dealers in their shadow. 🤷🏻
Pleasure. I’ll attach a link to the 2022 differences. It mentions the PCM.

At the bottom there’s a couple of Porsche contacts at PCNA, with their email addresses. I wonder if emailing one of them might give you more info ? Or they’ll tell you to contact a dealer. But, they may put you on the path to a better contact.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en_US/2...tes-24060.html

992Sam (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 05:46 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 186 Posts

At the bottom there’s a couple of Porsche contacts at PCNA, with their email addresses. I wonder if emailing one of them might give you more info ? Or they’ll tell you to contact a dealer. But, they may put you on the path to a better contact.

Thanks for that. And I found this video from Porsche on the new PCM 6.0:

Last edited by mikey94025; 08-08-2021 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:08 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,266 Posts

I would think that if the PCM was the limiting issue, regarding any software retrofit for the PID, I wouldn’t have PID. Mine is a 2021, not 2022.
992Sam (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 08:10 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Well thanks to your most helpful link... contacted Frank and this is the final answer 😂🤷🏽‍♂️

Good evening Sam,

I hope you are doing well. Thank you very much for your e-mail.

The driver assistance control module in your 2020 911 (992) will not support InnoDrive and a retrofit option is not planned.

It is only possible on a Taycan as an over-the-air update as it started with the newer gen hardware, assuming the Taycan was ordered with the optional ACC.

I’m sorry I don’t have better news for you, but I hope you have a pleasant evening.

With kind regards,

Frank Wiesmann
Benedict14 (08-10-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 08:23 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Well thanks to your most helpful link... contacted Frank and this is the final answer 😂🤷🏽‍♂️

So, there is a “driver assistance control module”….separate from the PCM?
Old 08-08-2021, 08:25 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
So, there is a “driver assistance control module”….separate from the PCM?
and it’s apparently not interchangeable 🤷🏻
Old 11-07-2021, 01:15 PM
JoBlo
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche can’t fix a worldwide problem with innodrive

My 992 has innodrive and like other owners across the world it keeps crashing. There’s a clash with the max speed function, which causes innodrive to intermittently throw an “unavailable” error. On my car it happens on average every 100 miles or so, and requires a delve into the menu system each time to reset the max speed.
Porsche in Germany are (allegedly) on the case but 10 months into ownership there’s no fix. I’m not happy!
Old 11-07-2021, 06:07 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by JoBlo
My 992 has innodrive and like other owners across the world it keeps crashing. There’s a clash with the max speed function, which causes innodrive to intermittently throw an “unavailable” error. On my car it happens on average every 100 miles or so, and requires a delve into the menu system each time to reset the max speed.
Porsche in Germany are (allegedly) on the case but 10 months into ownership there’s no fix. I’m not happy!
It’s not crashing. It works. But it won’t start if you don’t periodically (every week, or two) got into settings and reset the maximum speed setting. It’s annoying, to be sure. No idea what reason Porsche has for this restriction?? But it works.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:47 AM
JoBlo
8th Gear

It’s not crashing. It works. But it won’t start if you don’t periodically (every week, or two) got into settings and reset the maximum speed setting. It’s annoying, to be sure. No idea what reason Porsche has for this restriction?? But it works.
It is a significant bug - there’s a conflict in the software that causes an expensive upgrade safety feature to fail.
My C4 does 20,000 miles a year and sometimes the error is thrown multiple times a day.
It’s always the first time you use innodrive on a journey, and never occurs again on that journey. Sometimes the max speed has reset itself to 20mph, sometimes it hasn’t changed.
The fix is always to change the max speed setting, which requires a total of seven swipes and taps on the touch screen - not a great procedure while driving to make a safety feature work.
992 owners across the world have reported the problem, and I’ve not heard of any 992 with innodrive that doesn’t have the fault.
Porsche seems incapable of fixing it 😡

Last edited by JoBlo; 11-08-2021 at 02:55 AM.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:47 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

It is a significant bug - there’s a conflict in the software that causes an expensive upgrade safety feature to fail.
My C4 does 20,000 miles a year and sometimes the error is thrown multiple times a day.
It’s always the first time you use innodrive on a journey, and never occurs again on that journey. Sometimes the max speed has reset itself to 20mph, sometimes it hasn’t changed.
The fix is always to change the max speed setting, which requires a total of seven swipes and taps on the touch screen - not a great procedure while driving to make a safety feature work.
992 owners across the world have reported the problem, and I’ve not heard of any 992 with innodrive that doesn’t have the fault.
Porsche seems incapable of fixing it 😡
I agree that having to reset the max speed is annoying, and you shouldn’t have to do that. Unclear to me why the PID is even linked to having to reset the max speed, in the first place? But I’ve been using mine now for several months, and periodically I reset before driving off and never had any problems. If I don’t do that, it seems to time out after a week, or so and I have to reset.

Have you contacted the mother ship? I’ve found that nobody at my dealership even knows what PID is, or does.
Old 11-08-2021, 12:29 PM
JoBlo
8th Gear

Have you contacted the mother ship? I’ve found that nobody at my dealership even knows what PID is, or does.
Innodrive did not work on my first trip home from the dealership 15,000 miles ago. A combination of them being useless during lockdown (“We are not providing loan cars”) and apparently not understanding the system it took months to get them to try to address it.
The initial attempted fix was a new central computer, which only seemed to make the fault more frequent.
After that it was notified to Porsche in Germany who I’m told fessed up to it being a worldwide fault and they don’t know what’s causing it.
Imagine the fuss that would be created if Tesla’s autopilot system was as unreliable.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:25 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Innodrive did not work on my first trip home from the dealership 15,000 miles ago. A combination of them being useless during lockdown (“We are not providing loan cars”) and apparently not understanding the system it took months to get them to try to address it.
The initial attempted fix was a new central computer, which only seemed to make the fault more frequent.
After that it was notified to Porsche in Germany who I’m told fessed up to it being a worldwide fault and they don’t know what’s causing it.
Imagine the fuss that would be created if Tesla’s autopilot system was as unreliable.

Well, sorry to hear that. Once I learned that I periodically needed to reset the max speed, I use it ll the time…and once in use, during a drive, it never “crashes” for me. In fact, I used it just yesterday during a PCA Tour event.

I’m sure you don’t hear much in the media about PID is because very few people seem to have it, and even fewer even know what it is/does. In fact, Porsche has done very, very little to even market this capability? Maybe because of the liability issues that Tesla is now facing with all it’s “self driving” cars crashing?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 11-08-2021 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:06 PM
JoBlo
8th Gear

I’m sure you don’t hear much in the media about PID is because very few people seem to have it, and even fewer even know what it is/does. In fact, Porsche has done very, very little to even market this capability? Maybe because of the liability issues that Tesla is now facing with all it’s “self driving” cars crashing?
You could be right. I think all manufacturers are using the technology to iron out issues ready for full autonomy. We are guinea pigs, which I don’t mind, but I do object to being charged a lot of money for an upgrade that doesn’t work reliably.
I use innodrive on every journey, and I make probably four or five journeys a day.

Quick Reply: InnoDrive add to 2020 992 anyone?