Rookie and First Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 11:56 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX
Long time lurker and first time poster.

We have a December allocation with a March/April targeted delivery date (our choice to be around that time frame, which works out great) for a 'base' C2 Cabriolet from Ft Myers, FL, Porsche.

Our short history has been purchase a C7 Corvette last November, sell it for a tidy profit (not our intention) last June, order a C8, GM and the dealer goes off the rails with stupidity, and we just bit the bullet and reach for our halo car and go for it! I fell in love with them back in GB and mainland Europe in the early/mid 1980s and have always wanted one, so here we go!

Here is our build code here (PN2VYMF9). I am open to thoughts, experiences, and ideas and exchanging my thoughts and our "needs" from our viewpoint too.

This will be our grand touring sports car, of sorts, as we want to cruise around SW and S Florida with our two white fluffy girl dogs for weekend outings and zip to the store (wife's idea) while having fun driving the car. We have a 2020 Ford Explorer for Costco trips and overall every day driving and we have a 2020 Mustang (I know, I know...but it does has a supercharger on it for just ridiculous scary eye popping hooliganism acts) for acting like a teenager. Our daughter lives across the peninsula in Ft Lauderdale that we often visit, so we will drive this car, although not a crazy amount of miles, but it will get driven. I am open to thoughts on PPF, maintenance plans, extended warranty etc as we do plan to keep it for quite awhile as well.

I must say, this forum is extremely cool about not being whiny little beyotches like the Corvette forum is...sheesh, they are out of control and hyper sensitive. LOL.
I agree, your build is very very nice! A friend of mine just did a track day here in IL with Porsche. I spoke with him tonight on the phone and his comment was "I can't believe what a car the 911 was on the track - and they were the base cars! Not the S!" So to me, if I didn't want stick, I would have gotten the base.

The mainteance package can be added anytime up until the 2nd oil change - and it is non-refundable and stays with the car. So if you get it and then total the car, or decide to get rid of it in the first two years, the next person wins. So I'm waiting.
Same with warranty - why give them the money now? Give them the money when you decide to keep it past 4 years.
PPF/Ceramic - lots of comments on the boards. I'm of the belief that PPF is spending money for the next owner. But ceramic really looks nice - so my GB 911 goes in for that next weekend at Chicago Auto Pros. NEITHER helps with your resale much. BOTH are for your enjoyment and piece of mind.
Speaking of which, I did the tire and wheel protection $2,400 for 5 years. The dealer's cost? $900. Alas, I did that for piece of mind and I bet I never use it all.

Originally Posted by 992brian

added pic
I can't believe how GREAT the 19/20 wheels look on the car. I wanted these for my winters, but a fellow board member made me a deal on the Classic wheels that I could not refuse.
Alas, I am NOT a fan of the singular 911 (vs entire model designation). But that's the cool thing about Porsche, we each get to configure the car the way we want!
Old 08-07-2021, 01:38 AM
992brian
Advanced

Received 117 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX
Being a pain in the ***, do you have interior pics of your aluminum trim inlays? If not, no worries! Thanks!
https://imgur.com/a/r9yyEri
Here you go!
The following users liked this post:
PHX (08-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 11:05 AM
JunoRob
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

I love the build and the logic regarding use. I'm currently going through the same thought process and will probably keep the Silverado as my everyday and use my planned C2S for fun. Best of luck with a beautiful ride!
PHX (08-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 11:38 AM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 668 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by 992brian
Thanks!
Old 08-07-2021, 11:39 AM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by doug_999
I agree, your build is very very nice! A friend of mine just did a track day here in IL with Porsche. I spoke with him tonight on the phone and his comment was "I can't believe what a car the 911 was on the track - and they were the base cars! Not the S!" So to me, if I didn't want stick, I would have gotten the base.

The mainteance package can be added anytime up until the 2nd oil change - and it is non-refundable and stays with the car. So if you get it and then total the car, or decide to get rid of it in the first two years, the next person wins. So I'm waiting.
Same with warranty - why give them the money now? Give them the money when you decide to keep it past 4 years.
PPF/Ceramic - lots of comments on the boards. I'm of the belief that PPF is spending money for the next owner. But ceramic really looks nice - so my GB 911 goes in for that next weekend at Chicago Auto Pros. NEITHER helps with your resale much. BOTH are for your enjoyment and piece of mind.
Speaking of which, I did the tire and wheel protection $2,400 for 5 years. The dealer's cost? $900. Alas, I did that for piece of mind and I bet I never use it all.
Excellent advice and thoughts on the warranties/maintenance. Peace of mind is worth whatever it takes. Thank you for your words, I appreciate it!
Old 08-09-2021, 04:13 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX
Excellent advice and thoughts on the warranties/maintenance. Peace of mind is worth whatever it takes. Thank you for your words, I appreciate it!
Yeah for the guy who always declines tire/wheel packages and just hit a piece of metal road debris in my daily drive that took out BOTH right sided tires on my RS5...that includes at least one bent rim likely I know see the value!

Great build and color...like all said above. . Otherwise you can't go wrong with what you've spec'd. Always nice to make it yours and special and sounds like you;ve got all the other alternative choices covered so just enjoy the car. Wow thought the C8 was like all calm and enjoyable and inviting from those I've talked to who've had em. Guess the wait for one now is getting to the owners or owners to be...its worse than that for a 992 allocation I hear! LOL
Old 08-09-2021, 12:38 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by slwong23
Welcome! And as others have said, very nice build. A couple thoughts, understanding that all options are very personal:

- Innodrive/ACC/LKA: do you see yourself using Innodrive/ACC frequently? I know you mentioned you were going for a GT sports car and from all accounts, Inno/ACC work well, but they definitely remove some of the driving engagement. It's a 911 after all... I had LKA on my '15 Macan Turbo and ended up turning it off and never using it, didn't like it. This is a pricey option package, so something to think about.
I had a rental car (Jeep Renegade) in Europe with LKA. I found it really annoying. I kept feeling like it was fighting me in the corners. It took me a while to figure out how to turn it off, since the owners' manual in the car was in German.
audiophilitis (08-16-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 01:01 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts

I agree with you on LKA, I keep it turned off on my 2019 Audi Q7.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:12 PM
luckycanine
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX

True...now that I look at the build code you made. Definitely more (argh...lol) to think about! Thank you.
I was successfully able to stave off the draw to the S and stuck with my base build. Where did you land up eventually? Here's mine http://www.porsche-code.com/PN3LAD96
Old 08-19-2021, 11:17 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Received 163 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX
We have a December allocation with a March/April targeted delivery date (our choice to be around that time frame, which works out great) for a 'base' C2 Cabriolet from Ft Myers, FL, Porsche.
Can you help me understand that timeline? Does this mean the allocation is already yours or you're hoping it will be offered to you in December? Are you an order demand right now? Also, do you mind saying if you paid over MSRP?
Old 08-20-2021, 02:58 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by luckycanine
I was successfully able to stave off the draw to the S and stuck with my base build. Where did you land up eventually? Here's mine http://www.porsche-code.com/PN3LAD96
Did you figure out what more you would get by adding the Premium Package? Seems like you added many of the options individually…
Old 08-20-2021, 03:23 AM
luckycanine
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by slwong23
Did you figure out what more you would get by adding the Premium Package? Seems like you added many of the options individually…
I really did not want ventilated seats (going for max comfort and I do not like the perforated side bolsters and stitching that comes with ventilated) and I'm paying the price. Re-added most of Premium Package except PDLS+ (won't really drive at night and even so, PDLS non '+' is excellent) and Ventilated seats. What's funny is Premium Package is a US thing. Most Euro spec cars are specced without ventilated seats. So PCNA is mainly pushing certain options in the package (as evident by the recent shuffling). They removed ACC (probably a popular option) out of Premium Package so now if you want ACC you have to fork out an extra $2k.

Last edited by luckycanine; 08-20-2021 at 03:26 AM.
Old 08-20-2021, 08:35 AM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Your build is very nice. I really like the interior color, but I am partial. : ) We landed where we started, with no "S" in our model. I can't think, other than for bigger brakes and 40+hp bargain rights, it is a value where I live in flat and straight Florida. I do have my other vehicle that will dump 730hp if I want to go ridiculous fast and be shredding tires like a hooligan. I think the C2 Cabriolet is the perfect model for us.

Originally Posted by JiminyGlick
Can you help me understand that timeline? Does this mean the allocation is already yours or you're hoping it will be offered to you in December? Are you an order demand right now? Also, do you mind saying if you paid over MSRP?
The allocation is mine, yes. I am not sure how to answer that question about 'order demand' as I don't know what it means. We have it in writing that we are at MSRP and will not be above MSRP. I won't pay over MSRP. They did tell me, up front, that they have $799 doc fees (bullpoopoo) and another $199 electronic filing fee (which is even more BS), so that's out there in the open before we get to signing on the dotted line. I have and will continue to complain about that and am sure I will knock some of that off, if not all when the time comes.
Old 08-20-2021, 09:28 AM
Tkim
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I really did not want ventilated seats (going for max comfort and I do not like the perforated side bolsters and stitching that comes with ventilated) and I'm paying the price. Re-added most of Premium Package except PDLS+ (won't really drive at night and even so, PDLS non '+' is excellent) and Ventilated seats. What's funny is Premium Package is a US thing. Most Euro spec cars are specced without ventilated seats. So PCNA is mainly pushing certain options in the package (as evident by the recent shuffling). They removed ACC (probably a popular option) out of Premium Package so now if you want ACC you have to fork out an extra $2k.
I belive they removed ACC from the premium package for 2021 because of the carrera s manual.
Old 08-21-2021, 01:05 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Yeah for the guy who always declines tire/wheel packages and just hit a piece of metal road debris in my daily drive that took out BOTH right sided tires on my RS5...that includes at least one bent rim likely I know see the value!

Great build and color...like all said above. . Otherwise you can't go wrong with what you've spec'd. Always nice to make it yours and special and sounds like you;ve got all the other alternative choices covered so just enjoy the car. Wow thought the C8 was like all calm and enjoyable and inviting from those I've talked to who've had em. Guess the wait for one now is getting to the owners or owners to be...its worse than that for a 992 allocation I hear! LOL
I just re-read my collision coverage with Geico. It covers damage from any physical contact with an object. So I think it covers damage to the wheels and tires, subject to the deductible of course.

Quick Reply: Rookie and First Porsche