Sponsored by:

Wet Mode's Diff Lock

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 06:36 PM
JCH997
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Wet Mode's Diff Lock

Do "reduced locking ratios of the rear differential lock" mean that Wet Mode probably enhances the 992's capabilities in snow or sand. .ie., Wet Mode for the beach?

Old 07-28-2021, 10:59 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,098 Likes on 2,995 Posts

I haven't found wet mode to be useful in snow or on loose surfaces.

The feature is really all about wet road surfaces... and to prevent Porsche owners that have more money than skill from ending up in a ditch. The car will recommend wet mode to you if the conditions merit it. You have to acknowledge the message and I am sure that this is logged somewhere in the car's ECU/black box. When you really start pushing it in the rain, the car will ask you to adjust your driving to the conditions.

To be clear, wet mode is great. It's a safety feature that makes the 992 a beast in the rain.
It just also happens to be liability management tool when the next of kin come calling to Porsche. "From the car's computer, we know that Dr. Smith chose not to engage wet mode and ignored warnings from the car to adjust his driving to conditions. Dr Smith made a deliberate series of decisions and disregarded warnings before driving his 911 off the road".
Old 07-29-2021, 01:18 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

I’ve found Wet mode doesn’t work well at all on my C4 in the snow. Kills the torque and dials back wheelspin in favor of traction, which makes it feel like a slug. Car is best in snow in Normal mode shifting manually, and loads of fun with PSM switched off. Any mode in snow with the car shifting automatically removes a huge measure of control.
The following 2 users liked this post by gcurnew:
detansinn (07-29-2021), JCH997 (07-29-2021)

Quick Reply: Wet Mode's Diff Lock